Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to Alter the terms on Mobile Phone Contracts?

Options
  • 05-04-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

For the second time in less than 2 years, my supposedly "fixed" T Mobile tariff which I'm locked into has increased in price.

How they're getting away with this is by utilising a hidden clause in the contract I signed, which states that they can increase prices in line with the Retail Price Index. Which fair enough, I did agree to.

Anyway my contract is due for renewal soon, and I won't be using T Mobile again. But from doing research, they're all at it, so I need to ensure that this clause isn't in the contract.

Has anyone managed to negotiate to remove clauses in a mobile contract when taking it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Blisterman wrote: »
    For the second time in less than 2 years, my supposedly "fixed" T Mobile tariff which I'm locked into has increased in price.

How they're getting away with this is by utilising a hidden clause in the contract I signed, which states that they can increase prices in line with the Retail Price Index. Which fair enough, I did agree to.

Anyway my contract is due for renewal soon, and I won't be using T Mobile again. But from doing research, they're all at it, so I need to ensure that this clause isn't in the contract.

Has anyone managed to negotiate to remove clauses in a mobile contract when taking it out?

In Ireland you have 30 days from notice of a price change to cancel a contract, no matter what the remaining term is. This (I think) is EU law, so should apply in UK as well. You might be better asking in a UK based forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

In Ireland you have 30 days from notice of a price change to cancel a contract, no matter what the remaining term is. This (I think) is EU law, so should apply in UK as well. You might be better asking in a UK based forum.

It is generally known as Regulation 17. It guarantees customers 30 days from publication of the notification in which to cancel their contract in the event of any change in that contract. This includes ALL price plan/tariff increases or reduction in inclusive minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Only the other day I read on the Telegraph website that the UK networks can, and do, change prices and conditions mid term without allowing you to break the contract. There's been a campaign by consumers leading to Ofcom to make a final decision in July. As it stands you're stuck with the network.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/9969277/Networks-battle-right-to-break-long-smartphone-contracts.html

Rascasse wrote: »
    Only the other day I read on the Telegraph website that the UK networks can, and do, change prices and conditions mid term without allowing you to break the contract. There's been a campaign by consumers leading to Ofcom to make a final decision in July. As it stands you're stuck with the network.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/9969277/Networks-battle-right-to-break-long-smartphone-contracts.html

Luckily here in Ireland when any change to the terms of your contract is made - even if that change benefits you - you may opt to not accept the change as per regulation 17, and you must then be allowed out of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

This post has been deleted.

Indeed, they can change it, but you don't need to accept it. They probably get away with it in the UK, but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Don't sign a contract. Go PAYG or a rolling 30 day contract. You jhust need to fork out for a netfree phone. Gives you the freedom to hop carrier as and when you feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I had a T-Mobile contract when I was home. I'm pretty sure that they CAN change the tariff price during the life of the contract. This is a standard clause.

But they also have to give you at least 14 days written notice under the Direct Debit guarantee. Did you get that notice, OP? If not you can get the money refunded from your bank. But I don't believe you can break your contract if it's still in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

But they also have to give you at least 14 days written notice under the Direct Debit guarantee. Did you get that notice, OP? If not you can get the money refunded from your bank. But I don't believe you can break your contract if it's still in life.

You can get the money refunded but that doesn't absolve you of the debt. You still need to pay the bill some way.

http://www.comreg.ie/consumer_initiatives/consumer_contracts.492.563.html

The comreg take on contracts with mobile/telecoms providers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement