Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we becoming more competitive?

Options
  • 05-04-2013 5:45pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just paging through this months Sporting rifle, and noticed adverts from rifle manufacturers, scopes, suppressors, knives, etc, etc. One thing i noticed was the price.

Now i did not get into it in a big way, but a little checking, and noticed for some items (ever increasing) that we seem to be cheaper than our UK counterparts. Now when i say we i'm referring to Irish dealers, but you get the drift. Here are a few i took note of.

Item | Price UK (£) | Converted (€) | Price IRL (€) |
    Bushnell Legend |
    |
    |
    |
    Sako A7 Rifle |
    |
    |
    |
    CZ .17 Thumbhole |
    |
    |
    |
    S&B PMII |
    |
    |
    |
    Bear Grylls Knife |
    |
    |
    |
    A-Tec Mod |
    |
    |
    |
    Zeiss Duralyt |
    |
    |
    |
    Nightforce |
    |
    |
    |

Now i realise it will not be applicable to all items, and i'm not looking at second hand, but i'm wondering are we becoming the "place" to go when it comes to such items. I mean if i lived in the UK, and was quoted £1,800 for a Nightforce and i could get it here for €1,850 (£1,560) i would be looking to buy & import.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Last year i bought an Aimpoint H34S for E250 cheaper than i could find anywhere in europe and E400 chaper than in america before shipping and vat etc..
    I just bought a new rifle for E1100 i checked the price for the same rifle in the uk the only one i found was in .223 mine is a .308 same gun though i paid E1100 and it was going for £1500 I thought i got great deals on both. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yup I could not have imported my Nightforce for a better price.

Looking for another high end scope in the near future and hope someone here has one in stock. Prefer handling the item before buying and if prices are good it's a win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I have spotted the same with biker gear, much of which is now cheaper here than U.k, even before currency conversion
    S/H stuff is still dearer here on a like for like basis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I got a pair of Leica binos 8x42 Trinovid a little before Christmas and the cheapest place for them was an Irish shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I noticed this as well. I used to buy all my guns and shooting gear in the UK
    because of the price difference but I can usually get them here now at a decent price.
    I think the internet has a lot to do with it. You can now check online to get the best price so Irish dealers and importers had to drop prices to stay in business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

4gun wrote: »
    I have spotted the same with biker gear, much of which is now cheaper here than U.k, even before currency conversion
    S/H stuff is still dearer here on a like for like basis

You have to remember there is 23% vat on s/h stuff here and no vat on s/h in the UK.
    Car dealers here had the same problem for years but I think they solved it by being allowd to write vat invoices for any second hand car they bought in.

Advertisement