Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Raised Beds

• 05-04-2013 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Ive decided to build my father a few raised beds to keep him occupied for growing veg's..

I have done a fair bit of research, I will use 9x2 and cover the inside with black plastic to protect it from rotting...

My only problem is I will be placing these raised beds on top of grass, How do I prevent weeds from coming up?

I seen some people use old cardboard, will this prevent it?

Is 8 inches of soil enough to grow tomatoes, pepers, potatoes etc??

I know how to do all apart from filling the beds and preventing weeds coming up..

Also these raised beds will be out in the open they wont be covered whatsoever will they still survive with our winds, rain etc?

Any help much appreciated
    Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

hey ye brendan 155 views :-(
    Have you done the beds since?
    yeah the cardboard is a great method( wet it first though) for stopping weeds coming up through your new beds.
    I started with the same method of raised beds with great success and still do, the depth of the soil will rise each season as you add well rotted manure and compost to the soil in the autumn, toms and peppers really need the protection of a greenhouse to be successful with our temperate summers. A smallish greenhouse set on top on of the beds(secured well) with a few paving slabs down the middle would work perfect. It is all about plant support with windy conditions, which we seem to have a lot more of these past few seasons.
    Any veg for me above the height of 12-14 inches will get some form of support( canes,heavy duty string line, sheep wire)
    Hope this helps somewhat
    GL

Advertisement