Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man joining the US police force

Options
  • 05-04-2013 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Just wondering if I can join the American police force? My uncle's all have green cards but my parents dont. I also had a great uncle who went to war for the US army.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

paddyd8 wrote: »
    Just wondering if I can join the American police force? My uncle's all have green cards but my parents dont. I also had a great uncle who went to war for the US army.

Unless you are a citizen no.
    http://www.nypdrecruit.com/faq

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I used to talk to a limey guy at the coffee shop I go to every morning and he was in the process of becoming a cop, without being an american. Usually if you're legally allowed to work in the US (ie, a resident) it should be okay.

That was in California. I expect different states have different laws.

EDIT: Here's the CHP req's, Citizen or legal resident in the process of applying.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/oqualifications.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Also remember Policing forces are set up differently in the US.

Every town over a certain size has its own police force, plus State police. And each would be responsible for its own recruitment.

So there's probably tens of thousands of police forces in the USA.

But it looks liek evn though they would take a recruit who's on a green card they would expect you to complete the citizenship process before heading out to arrest people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You need to have at least a greencard. You could try for one through the diversity visa lottery, your uncles are not close enough family to petition you.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Only a few States allow you to join with a Greencard.Almost all States you need to be a citizen to join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

It's done differant here too.
    Most people go to a community college and do the 6 month Basic Law Enforcement course.Once you have done this you can apply for differant departments Police,Sheriffs Dept etc.
    Once they employ you,you get your State certification and your good to go.If you dont gain employment after 3 years of doing the Basic Law Enforcement course you have to redo it.All Depts will have a training wing and you will be under supervision for 6 months of this.
    Hardly any Depts now will employ you straight off and send you to the community college.Each State has differant laws so if your going to join a certain State agency you need to go to college in that State or do a cross over course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Your not the only one that has asked this question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Not like the old days when you just had to turn up sober. The good ol' days.

Advertisement