Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broke iPod Touch ?

• 05-04-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

My iPod started acting up around 6 months ago. I'll describe what the problem is like.

Whenever I'm listening to music (with or without earphones), the music continues playing, but the volume goes. You know where the bar thing is to change the volume? Well that disappears, but the pause/next song buttons are still there. If anyone has ever used their iPod/iPhone in a car or on a docking station maybe may understand, It's like that.

To get the sound back, all I have to do is unplug my earphones and plug them back in, and the sound is back. Sometimes it may come back for 5 seconds, other times it may not go for a day.

I first thought it's probably something wrong with the earphones and not the iPod itself. But I tried listening to music with numerous other sets of earphones and found that they weren't the problem. Then I thought it must be the iPod. But the weird thing was that the problem (above) with the sound doesn't occur when the iPod is charging (with a plug charger). It will last all day and never lose the sound if it's charging at the same time. I don't see how that affects it?

I just don't understand what's wrong with it or how I could fix it. If anyone else has experienced this, know what is wrong with it or can give any advice I'd really appreciate it. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

yoyo wrote: »
    Moved from Comp & Tech.

Thanks for that, I didn't see this forum! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭jimjamcoolio

I'm no professional but it could be something to do with water damage.

About a year ago my iPod touch was left in a little puddle for a few hours and about 6 months later, the display contrast went all weird. It got really bright and the colours went very white. I researched and the only conclusion I could pull out was the water damage.

Apparently it corrodes the insides and you lose the features of your beloved one at a time.

I wasn't so sure about this as it there was 6 months in between the two occurrences and wondered why it hadn't happened sooner and why nothing else was happening to it. I then lost my wifi about 4/5 months later and suspected it might be the same thing.

But then my wifi came back the other day so I haven't a clue..

Sorry about that long uninformative post but I definitely read in quite a few places that water damage can have strange effects..

I'm no professional but it could be something to do with water damage.

About a year ago my iPod touch was left in a little puddle for a few hours and about 6 months later, the display contrast went all weird. It got really bright and the colours went very white. I researched and the only conclusion I could pull out was the water damage.

Apparently it corrodes the insides and you lose the features of your beloved one at a time.

I wasn't so sure about this as it there was 6 months in between the two occurrences and wondered why it hadn't happened sooner and why nothing else was happening to it. I then lost my wifi about 4/5 months later and suspected it might be the same thing.

But then my wifi came back the other day so I haven't a clue..

Sorry about that long uninformative post but I definitely read in quite a few places that water damage can have strange effects..

Thanks for the reply! I've never dropped it into water or anything anyways, but it may be from the rain. Yeah it's a really weird problem. It has been like this for around the last 5/6 months, but I haven't lost any other features. I won't be buying a new iPod until this one literally falls to pieces. :P

ray2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! I've never dropped it into water or anything anyways, but it may be from the rain. Yeah it's a really weird problem. It has been like this for around the last 5/6 months, but I haven't lost any other features. I won't be buying a new iPod until this one literally falls to pieces. :P

Oh by a puddle I meant it was only a little spill from a glass kind of thing.
    And yeah they're great things! I've had mine for about 4/5 years and it's never failed at playing music for me. :)

Also, just a thought, it could be that maybe there's dust or something in the port for the dock and effectively tricks it into thinking it's plugged into a dock? Only a thought..

Good luck with it anyhow. :cool:

• Advertisement

Oh by a puddle I meant it was only a little spill from a glass kind of thing.
    And yeah they're great things! I've had mine for about 4/5 years and it's never failed at playing music for me. :)

Also, just a thought, it could be that maybe there's dust or something in the port for the dock and effectively tricks it into thinking it's plugged into a dock? Only a thought..

Good luck with it anyhow. :cool:

It could be a possibility! I doubt there is any way to repair water damage anyway? Yeah I've had mine for almost 2 and a half years now, love it. :)

I've tried brushing the place in the iPod where the earphone cable goes with a small brush but it seems no help. The weird thing is that the problem won't occur if the iPod is being charged at the same time, which confused me even more! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

try cleaning the dock connector, the fact that it doesnt happen with the cable in could be a piece of foil or anything stuck in it or it could be just some water damage

ray2012 wrote: »
    It could be a possibility! I doubt there is any way to repair water damage anyway? Yeah I've had mine for almost 2 and a half years now, love it. :)

I've tried brushing the place in the iPod where the earphone cable goes with a small brush but it seems no help. The weird thing is that the problem won't occur if the iPod is being charged at the same time, which confused me even more! :rolleyes:

Well if it thinks it's plugged into a dock it won't have much to do with the headphone socket, would it?
    Purely speculation but, maybe the charger is on a higher priority than the dock, thus, overrides it? Try cleaning that socket?

guil wrote: »
    try cleaning the dock connector, the fact that it doesnt happen with the cable in could be a piece of foil or anything stuck in it or it could be just some water damage
    Well if it thinks it's plugged into a dock it won't have much to do with the headphone socket, would it?
    Purely speculation but, maybe the charger is on a higher priority than the dock, thus, overrides it? Try cleaning that socket?

I'll try this later when I get a chance. Might as well give it a shot!

Advertisement