Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elective choices for business course

Options
  • 05-04-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, if their are any human resource managers out there I would appreciate your help! im entering into my 3rd year in bachelor of business this coming September and im undecided on what electives to pick? I know I want to specialize in the HRM stream but want to know would electives project management and e-commerce or event management 1 and 2 benefit me more towards HRM??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

shala1993 wrote: »
    Hi, if their are any human resource managers out there I would appreciate your help! im entering into my 3rd year in bachelor of business this coming September and im undecided on what electives to pick? I know I want to specialize in the HRM stream but want to know would electives project management and e-commerce or event management 1 and 2 benefit me more towards HRM??

Hiya
    I've 20yrs HRM leadership experience in multinationals. IMO project management would be a positive, as HR can include implementation and/or change projects. If I was selecting for an entry level HR role, e-commerce wouldn't be of much interest, if that means online sales and event management would also be of little interest.
    Really what you need to set you apart is some quality work experience in an HR dept of a large company / organisation. This is what you ought to have been doing in your summers to show genuine interest in the vocation. You'll probably need an HRM masters that gets you your full CIPD diploma, plus significant relevant work experience, preferably involving full life cycle projects that you can discuss your involvement in, before you'll get a foot in the door. Its that competitive, as I'm sure you know.
    Your degrees won't really equip you to be an effective HR professional, as its as much how you apply your knowledge, as having the theory itself. Thats why quality work experience is vital. If you have no other option, maybe you could volunteer in your college HR dept? Even doing scut work like filing etc will get you in the door and managers love people who are keen to take on more responsibilities, so you might get into more 'fun' stuff after a bit. Hope this helps and any other questions, don't hesitate :)

Advertisement