Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Ballybofey to Cork

Options
  • 05-04-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello,

I see a few older posts about travelling Cork to Donegal but I suppose there have been alot of recent updates to Cork-Dublin, Limerick and Galway roads.

I've travelled up to Galway from Cork before and found roads pretty bad depending on what you got stuck behind and was half thinking going Ballybofey-Dublin-Cork but some see this as madness.

Google Maps is saying a shorter route is via Dublin but wonder what people suggest.

Appreciate the inputs.

Thanks,
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Donegal-Dublin-Cork Via motorways is by far the quickest route.
    Went from letterkenny to Fermoy in 4 1/2 hrs, but that was at 5am on a Sunday morning with no traffic to worry about. (or speed traps. :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Good man. Thanks for the advice. Thought the same myself but just wanted to check peoples opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I thought the Limerick by pass has made a huge difference. Newmarketonfergus and Ennis were two very big bottlenecks, Galway - Cork now takes a little over 2 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

I be up and down a fair bit cork-donegal (live in cork but like to get up home often). I have gone by Dublin, portlaoise-athlone, cashel-roscrea-athlone and galway. I found that there is little difference in any of the runs. No matter which way you go there is only maybe 15mins and 20-30km all in on the journey.

Cork-Dublin-Ballybofey
    Pro's- motorway to ardee almost, steady speed
    Con's- 4 tolls each way, more fuel used, boring as hell.

Cork-Galway-ballybofey
    pro's- one toll, plenty of places to stop, nicer drive
    cons- claregalway and cork-limerick, galway-sligo if there is traffic

Midlands
    pro's- most direct route,
    cons- unless you know the road it can be tricky especially the bog road as I call it from Birr to athlone. 2 tolls if you go by portlaoise.

I usually just go by Galway now, and with 3 stops do it in just under 6hrs. fuel wise I can manage by the midlands or galway to get up on half a tank of petrol, the motorway takes a quarter of a tank more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Cork-Galway-ballybofey
    pro's- one toll, plenty of places to stop, nicer drive
    cons- claregalway and cork-limerick, galway-sligo if there is traffic

Claregalway is a bit*h, especially with the roadworks at the minute. You can go via Cregmore Park Golf Club to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sesswhat wrote: »
    Claregalway is a bit*h, especially with the roadworks at the minute.
    Those works were ongoing when I was last down there and that was about 4 years ago. They're getting as bad as our local council :)

Advertisement