Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Will

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod note: Cobham, I am sure your intentions are good, and what you have said is probably accurate, but it should not be taken as legal advice, only as points to consider.

It is a good idea to have a thread about wills, but please, nothing that looks as though it could be legal advice, and if you are reading this thread you must take any suggestions and ideas to your solicitor before acting on any of them.

tldr: We cannot give legal advice. Do not give legal advice. Do not take anything on the thread to be legal advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not legal advice, but the advice about the joint bank account is important.
    Being a signatory or having a card on an account is not the same as being a joint account holder as a friend of my mother's found out to much upset (at a time when she did not need more upset). The last thing a partner needs is to be locked out of the bank account following the death.

Best to make sure everything is in order with the bank to make things as simple as possible.

Just on the will thing - I found it very simple to make a simple will with my solicitor and it did not cost much. There is 'Make a Will Week' in November each year where they will all be encouraging people to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

cobham wrote: »
    You can also include 'wishes' like what sort of funeral you would like. A 'wish' is something that the executor is not bound to follow unlike a 'directive'.

You can, but that only helps if people read the will before the funeral. :o (Sorry granny!)

If you have specific desires as to how your funeral should go, and special people you want notified or anything like that you're better off talking it through with your relatives at some stage, then writing it all down and showing everyone and his wife where your list of funeral desires is kept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Some good reading here on the subject:

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/pdfs/will.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Jellybaby as the OP on this thread can I just let you know what I have done?

I have nothing of real value to others and no money to speak of .... so as not having kids I have nowt and nobody to leave it to.

Except that I do.............

I went to the bank where I have my mortgage and they did a will for me for free.

The house and belongings goes to my eldest surviving relative to be sold and cash distributed evenly between the others named on the will. Everyone named is allowed to take an object of their choice should they want. And it is all done in legal wording and stuff for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I just checked......my original post was dated 2013!! How time flies. That was a very clever move Rube, I never thought of going to a bank. Wonder if Irish banks offer the same service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I just checked......my original post was dated 2013!! How time flies. That was a very clever move Rube, I never thought of going to a bank. Wonder if Irish banks offer the same service.

I did mine about 15 years ago or more JB. If it helps I am with HSBC. but as things are always changing I have no idea if the info is still any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

All good to know and hopefully will be helpful to anyone checking it out here.

Advertisement