Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat deterrent for salad planer?

• 05-04-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭

Recently built this salad planter from an old picnic bench we had going to waste and though every thing was going fine until I found one of the neighbors cats had gone and done it's business in it earlier. Does anybody have any recommendations on what to put in it/over it to deter any cats/birds from going near it?
    Thanks,

Pic of planter
    IMG_0867%2Bsmall.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

I was fed up with cats using my garden as their toilet I tried everything to stop them,. I have now bought an electronic cat deterrent, it took a few weeks to start working,but touch wood I haven't found any cat mess in my garden lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You could try wire netting over the top for a while. Should stop the birds too. Nice job on the planter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I use green garden netting over my veggie patches. Once the veggies get going the cats won't bother going there again so I take it off at that stage. PITA to be honest but needs must.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

I have used 'get off cat and dog repellent spray' it worked really well, most places stock it now (online anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I use black pepper - have had no problems except trying to get the chickens to stop scoffing the lot :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

For something so small just cut some twigs thorny if possible and lie them across it, costs nothing and works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Supercell wrote: »
    I use green garden netting over my veggie patches. Once the veggies get going the cats won't bother going there again so I take it off at that stage. PITA to be honest but needs must.

I did the same on my patch but raised the top wire mesh off the level of the wood by pushing some bamboo canes into the soil in the corners of the box and fixing the wire to this. This meant I had to add in some mesh at the sides too (about 6 inches in height) but it keeps the cat away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Thanks for all the suggestions lads!
    Ended up going with some plastic mesh that I had lying around.

It ain't the prettiest but it seem's to be doing the job!
    IMG_0883_small.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've heard people recommending lion poop. Apparently it comes in pellet form and is environmentally friendly/chemical free. I think you can buy it on Amazon. I'm not kidding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Ive heard of that too.

Im sure the keepers in Dublin zoo would be happy to part with some, might be nicer in pellet form though. :)

Great job with the planter. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Sorry to hijack the thread, does anyone have any recommendations for keeping dogs away? I don't like dogs at the best of times, but when I have to spend 10 mins picking up other people's dog crap from my lawn before I cut it, I like them even less! The next door neighbour has a dog (not the culprit) so something with long range wouldn't be an option. Tried some sprays but they didn't do anything (more than ever there in fact).

Advertisement