Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary fermantation in finlandia apple/pear cider

Options
  • 05-04-2013 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hey peps, my Finlandia apple/pear kit is ready to bottle tomorrow, does anybody know how much sugar per litre to prim, the reason I ask is because when I brewed it 2 weeks ago the instructions were in Swedish and Finnish I think and now I can't find them, I think it said to prim 5g/l, that seems a bit low but I can't really remember, what do you guys think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Using between 5g/L to 6g/L of sugar will give you a nice carbonation, 6g per litre will give you 2.5 vol co2 at 18C fermentation temp which I myself usually aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I like fizzy, so I go for 10g per litre (5g per half litre bottle). I did that apple and pear one before and it's nice enough, but I would say it would benefit from the extra fizz (though I would struggle to find a situation where only a little fizz in your cider is a good thing, so take it with a pinch of salt).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

If I were to use DME to prime should I use more or less then sugar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Viper_JB wrote: »
    If I were to use DME to prime should I use more or less then sugar?

more, DME is only about 75% fermentable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I went with 5g/l for the secondary, the brew came out very nice but it was lacking a bit in fizz, next time I think I would 7g/l.
    The brew itself tasted a bit like Bulmers but without the rotten finish of Bulmers, as you have probably geussed I'm not a fan of Bulmers, I think I will make this brew again however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Do you just add water with that kit? Might do it for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yep and 1kg of brewing sugar, would be perfect at a bbq, thats if we ever get the weather for it

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

Hi
    I have been brewing beer for about 3 years or so. I want to try a cider brew and have a few questions.

Can I use m beer fermenter/bottles for cider. I know I can't mix beer and wine?
    I want a simple cider, nothing too tart, (I like Bulmers) any kit you might recommend?

Thanks
    Paul

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Bugsyboy1 wrote: »
    Can I use m beer fermenter/bottles for cider.
    Yes.
    I know I can't mix beer and wine?
    Why's that?
    I want a simple cider, nothing too tart, (I like Bulmers) any kit you might recommend?
    The only kit cider I've done is the Finlandia apple and pear. It came out OK, and it sounds like this is what you're after. Alternatively just get 22L of Lidl cloudy apple juice and a sachet of pre-sweetened cider yeast and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Hi
    I have been brewing beer for about 3 years or so. I want to try a cider brew and have a few questions.

Can I use m beer fermenter/bottles for cider. I know I can't mix beer and wine?

Thanks
    Paul

My finlandia one just finished conditioning in the bottles, it's quiet nice, I added malic acid when conditioning, and it has a nice appley after taste, but taste like Bulmers when drinking, no real taste of pear off it though. I'd recommend it, but in saying that this was my first home brew ever so more experienced people on here would probably have better suggestions, I'd like to try the turbo cider at some point that sounds really nice..

• Advertisement
Advertisement