Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing a Packed Lunch!

• 05-04-2013 9:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45

How come no one in UCC brings a packed lunch to college. I'm guessing it's because people are too self conscious to be seen opening their lunch box and eating a packed sandwidge in front of others. It would save money. I'm sure the french do it! I do it.. not in the canteen in front of my friends though. I usually buy something small when I socalise and then sneak in my lunch later. Safes me quite a bit, and people can't say that it's because they can afford it... because we're all trying too save! What a shame.. all because we're trying to fit in!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I think a packed lunch would be a healthier option - as you know what's gone into it. But the obverse of this is that it might look a tad uncool. Uncool in college or university isn't an option as you are trying to fit in. The packed lunch might have an origin in the "Mammy" thing, where mammy made your lunch. Just an observation.
    Do what you peer group is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Down in the Architecture building a lot of us bring in packed lunche or stuff to heat up in the microwave, it's one of the very few advantages to being off campus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

hassle of making food. College students are lazy. i dont think its social pressure, not for most anyways. i would do it, except i live beside campus. also i prefer to cook at home a full meal and i'm lazy. theres a microwave in the su lounge place i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I know a load that do it. I'd bring in apple and grapes myself which gets me through the shorter days, and would only buy something inside on a longer day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

shane9689 wrote: »
    i'm lazy. theres a microwave in the su lounge place i believe.

i always did get the impression you were a tad bit lazy shane... that i do agree on!!! how's things going with your new jazz musician? you doing many open mics over spring recess?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Where do you sneak your lunch in OP? the bathroom? I myself, wouldnt pack a sandwidge, but i would bring along a nutrigrain bar, or a few other small things of the like

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

When I was in UCC, there were a fair few people bringing their own lunch. Think a lot of it is to do with convenience, easier to buy something in a shop or main rest than organising food to bring in with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

i do :D Id never buy anything and im not ashamed to be seen with my lunch Then again I dont care what other people think We ve no microwave at home So its great fun using the microwave in the su Usually bring some leftovers ffrom the night before or soup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

There's about 16,000 students in UCC. They're all not going to bring a packed lunch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 barbarasummers

rosie16 wrote: »
    i do :D Id never buy anything and im not ashamed to be seen with my lunch Then again I dont care what other people think We ve no microwave at home So its great fun using the microwave in the su Usually bring some leftovers ffrom the night before or soup

A packed lunch.. fair enough, but left overs & soup. I just would do that. Where's the su? If you were in the mian restaurant, I dnt think you'd be so fast to pull out left overs while your friends ate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Just up the path past the orb On the left Or from the walkway in opposite the student health on college rd Ha I never go into the main rest anyway or my friends I would if there was a microwave nearby Too much hassle to move it from the su :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

A packed lunch.. fair enough, but left overs & soup. I just would do that. Where's the su? If you were in the mian restaurant, I dnt think you'd be so fast to pull out left overs while your friends ate!

I can't think of anyone that I know that would give a damn about what I ate.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I don't think anyone would care enough not to bring in a packed lunch if they wanted to.. and it would be kind of sad if they did care that much.
    I live beside campus so I don't do it. If I have a day where I have back to back classes I bring fruit and a cereal bar or something with me.
    As another poster said, I think it just has to do with laziness of students. Its much easier to buy a hot chicken roll than make a sandwich in the morning.

Advertisement