Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bearded dragon set up

Options
  • 05-04-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi all just wondering if someone can give me some advice on how to set up a vivarium for a bearded dragon. Im planning on getting one in a few weeks but want to have everything set up & ready to go.

I have 2 vivariums the smaller is 2ft x 2ft x 2ft and a bigger 4ft one.

Im planning on using ceramic tiles as substrate

I have a heat mat but not sure if its needed, seem to be a lot of conflicting articles

Lighting is the causing me problems what kind of bulbs do i need for each tank what kind of watts etc?

also i was going to get a water dish but read that they dont "need" one once they are getting enough from veggies & are bathed a few times a week? Is this advisable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

Hi all just wondering if someone can give me some advice on how to set up a vivarium for a bearded dragon. Im planning on getting one in a few weeks but want to have everything set up & ready to go.

I have 2 vivariums the smaller is 2ft x 2ft x 2ft and a bigger 4ft one.

Im planning on using ceramic tiles as substrate

I have a heat mat but not sure if its needed, seem to be a lot of conflicting articles

Lighting is the causing me problems what kind of bulbs do i need for each tank what kind of watts etc?

also i was going to get a water dish but read that they dont "need" one once they are getting enough from veggies & are bathed a few times a week? Is this advisable?

2ft viv is too small , 4ft is big enough for one ,
    id just use one tile and use a proper substrate in with them , bran or porridge oats does grand :)
    as for lighting you will want a 100wt spot bulb , can get a 4pack in tesco for less than €5 , and they will also need a 10.0 uvb bulb ,
    no heatmat is needed for bearded dragons , unless the weather gets cold again then tape the heatmat to the backwall of the vivarium , and use a thermostat to regulate the temps of it , feel free to pm me if you need any more advice or help

also beardies need water in with them all the time , a dish big enough for them to soak in but not too deep is great for them

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Thanks a mill for reply, got water dish today.
    Have a few slate tiles but if I use just one would just newspaper be ok. I've been reading about the other types of substrate and not too keen on sand.

Also for the uvb what kind of fitting do I need

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd have a different opinion I've a seven year old dragon living in a four foot fish tank, he hates water so we give him water via a water tunnel/setup.

All his substrate is a combination of tile with heat mats underneat and then carpet (the green stuff you get)

He has a UV bulb and regular bulbs and both are essential imo.

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd have a different opinion I've a seven year old dragon living in a four foot fish tank, he hates water so we give him water via a water tunnel/setup.

All his substrate is a combination of tile with heat mats underneat and then carpet (the green stuff you get)

He has a UV bulb and regular bulbs and both are essential imo.

tbh fish tanks are the worst setup to keep them in they do better in vivariums

heatmat underneath is useless as beardies cant gain heat from underneath

Thanks a mill for reply, got water dish today.
    Have a few slate tiles but if I use just one would just newspaper be ok. I've been reading about the other types of substrate and not too keen on sand.

Also for the uvb what kind of fitting do I need

newspaper will be fine , you can also use porridge oats , there great smell nice and easy to keep clean , and unlike sand if they eat them they can digest :)

as for uv bulb , it all depends on the type of bulb you choose to use , the uv bulbs need changed every 6 months , keep that in mind as they are not cheap to replace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

antocann wrote: »
    newspaper will be fine , you can also use porridge oats , there great smell nice and easy to keep clean , and unlike sand if they eat them they can digest :)

as for uv bulb , it all depends on the type of bulb you choose to use , the uv bulbs need changed every 6 months , keep that in mind as they are not cheap to replace

Does the uvb bulb have to be fluorescent or are there other types,

Does the uvb bulb have to be fluorescent or are there other types,

theres 2 different types you can use , but for a 4ft vivarium , id advise to use a
    30/36"
    one of these http://www.emeraldislereptiles.com/dry-goods/lighting/uvb/repti-glo-10-fluorescent-lamp.html

and this starter unit http://www.emeraldislereptiles.com/hagen-t8-conventional-ballast-uvb-controller.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

antocann wrote: »

Excellent idea, I would never have thought of using porridge as a substrate. Cheers:)

Advertisement