Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Gym

Options
  • 05-04-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello fellows

I'm a nerd from Scandinavia and moving to Dublin to work at Google. I'm looking for a nice and clean gym where no bald steroid guys and posers would go. Could you recommend a good gym?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm pretty sure Google has a gym and a swimming pool for it's employees. I'm not sure if they charge a little bit for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yep there's one in google so no need to join elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

as said already google has one, not sure what it is like.

but if you want one in the city center what are you looking for? more cardio or weights? classes? sauna?

BTW i find the "steroid" guys(dedication does not equal steroids) to be the best people at a gym. They go to the gym, don't care about who is around, do their workout and leave. The posers are the guys there who get in everyones way just to show off how much they can lift, which usually is very little. or the girls who get all dressed up to walk on the treadmill for a few minutes and accuse everyone of "staring"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Google has a great staff gym:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emachine

Thank you guys, that's great news. I have 20 min cardio and 40 min weightlift training from monday to friday.
    I consider myself beginner.
    Monday- Chest workout
    Thuesday - Back workout
    Wednesday - Shoulder & Abs
    Thursday - Arms biceps triceps etc
    Friday - legs

I hate posers because I lift lighter than posers. For example 15 + 15 + 20 (bar) = 50kg benchpress. Some posers love laughing but I try to ignore as much as I can. Bearhug with 15 kg each dumbell, biceps 10 + 10 + 8 (bar) = 28 kg, triceps 15 + 15 + 8 (bar) = 38 kg etc..

Apparently steroid guys are better than the ones where I live. They occupy the benchs for hours and collect all barbells and dumbbells which makes our workout difficult. Some of them do combo workout with machines.
    Thank you for fast replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Are you gonna work at the Google HQ or at Google Maps in East Wall/Clontarf? Cos the last one doesn't have a gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emachine

Hello Rhand, I'll work at HQ. I try to avoid giving more specific information for now, because I have not started working yet. It also disturbs me to see too many unemployed Irish people and I just hop in a plane and start to work as a multilingual engineer. I have very mixed feelings about working for Google at the moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

emachine wrote: »
    Hello Rhand, I'll work at HQ. I try to avoid giving more specific information for now, because I have not started working yet. It also disturbs me to see too many unemployed Irish people and I just hop in a plane and start to work as a multilingual engineer. I have very mixed feelings about working for Google at the moment.

Don't worry, there's plenty of IT jobs with and without languages available in Dublin. There's actually more IT and language jobs available here than people can fill, and therefore many multi nationals are forced to employ from outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Zygnoth

emachine wrote: »
    Thank you guys, that's great news. I have 20 min cardio and 40 min weightlift training from monday to friday.
    I consider myself beginner.
    Monday- Chest workout
    Thuesday - Back workout
    Wednesday - Shoulder & Abs
    Thursday - Arms biceps triceps etc
    Friday - legs

I hate posers because I lift lighter than posers. For example 15 + 15 + 20 (bar) = 50kg benchpress. Some posers love laughing but I try to ignore as much as I can. Bearhug with 15 kg each dumbell, biceps 10 + 10 + 8 (bar) = 28 kg, triceps 15 + 15 + 8 (bar) = 38 kg etc..

Apparently steroid guys are better than the ones where I live. They occupy the benchs for hours and collect all barbells and dumbbells which makes our workout difficult. Some of them do combo workout with machines.
    Thank you for fast replies.

You need to sort your headgame out before hitting the gym.

If someone is being an idiot, then leave it at that. I wouldn't let them use the steroids as an excuse. Any decent person in a crowded gym will let you 'work in' on a set, especially if they are taking long times between sets. That said, nobody is going to offer to let you 'work in' so you pretty much have to go up and ask:

- "How many sets do you have left?"
    Just one
    - "Great, can I use it after?"
    Sure

I just started, I've about 6 sets left
    - "Ah right, do you mind if I work in? I'm trying to get out of here by eight"
    No problem

I just started, I've about 6 sets left
    - "Ah right, do you mind if I work in? I'm trying to get out of here by eight"
    P*** off
    - "Don't worry, I'll wait so"

Finally, don't worry about not having much weight on the bar. Everybody starts somewhere. That said, if your diet sucks, you'll find it extremely hard to increase in strength no matter how often you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Guys can we start a seperate thread in the Health & Fitness forum for the training specific stuff please

• Advertisement
Advertisement