Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM faulty or fraud

Options
  • 05-04-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Last week my wife went to an ATM at a filling station in Sligo intending to withdraw €300. After she put in the card and looked for the money a message came on the screen saying that the machine could only issue a max amount of €200. She then did a withdrawl for €200 and another one for €100. Today I checked my statement and the €300 transaction had gone through even though it hadn't. Its very strange because the next few transactions after that were fraudulent ones that we only found out when the bank phoned her a couple of days ago. The bank is going to reimburse us for the fraudulent transactions but are they as likely to be as helpful over the ATM issue I mean their systems are saying the money was withdrawn when it wasn't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Are you saying that three transactions show up for 300,200,100?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Yes the 3 transactions are showing on my internet banking page but she only got money out for the 200 and 100 euro ones. 600 E showing but she only got 300. I didn't know you could withdraw that amount in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If the fraud had never happened, you would just go to your bank and fill out the sheet for an ATM issue and you get the money back within 2 weeks after they investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Depending on the bank, you can dispute the transaction over the phone. Your bank will contact the bank that owns the ATM and ask them to balance it against the transactions and, provided it all matches up, you'll be refunded the €300. Could take two weeks as poster above said but could take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't want to name my bank its one that has closed a lot of their branches in the past year but their customer service is open tomorrow so I'll give them a ring and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

OP check your online banking carefully Just before you call the bank, I had a run in with the bank over something very similar on a statement only to discover I'd missed a vital point. The money had been debited then added back again immediately, the debit was on the bottom of the first page of the statement and the credit at the top of the next page and I totally missed it.

Advertisement