Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensitive Biscuit

• 05-04-2013 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

So I decided to ask TotalBiscuit if he believed his Sim City coverage seemed a bit compromised considering his criticism of IGN and Bioshock Infinite. There then followed a brief Twitter exchange.

@Totalbiscuit Do you not think your criticism of IGN was a little hollow considering your "WTF is" the day before Sim City launch?

@Seanbeag1 not in any way

@Seanbeag1 unless of course you can show me the week of Sim City promotional videos I was posting prior to that video

@Seanbeag1 I don't think you understand the situation at all

@Totalbiscuit A 1 1/2 hour pre-release video from yourself singing a games praises is quite a big hype. "A glorious simulation" it was not

@Seanbeag1 You are beyond stupid. Yeah man, let's ignore the fact that my wife was on that video criticizing the **** out of it

@Totalbiscuit And considering the beta access TGS members seemed to have, it's hard not to wonder if it was compromised

@Seanbeag1 But yeah it's totally the same. I'm embarrassed to have you as a follower

At this stage he blocked me then started posting status updates like the following complaining about the stupidity of gamers.

TB: "You liked Sim City before it came out so you are a sell-out" - some ****ing idiot fan

TB: The most pervasive problem within gamers right now is a complete lack of critical thinking and analytical ability.

TB: Which results in stupid opinions based in shallow surface-level fallacious interpretations of what is actually happening.

TB: And you might say "oh it's just the vocal minority". No it really is not, you see it EVERYWHERE, false equivalency all over the place.

TB: So yeah, thank you to those of you who are smarter than that.

So it escalated rather quickly. Maybe I was out of line but I don't think so. Sim City is a fundamentally broken game and, in my opinion, those who reviewed it pre-release and didn't highlight this did a great dis-service to their followers and viewers. Was I out of line or did TB over-react a little?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Calling you beyond stupid was totally uncalled for. The subsequent bitching about you or somebody else in public tweets was just juvenile. It reminded of me of those pathetic "People are stoopiddd" type posts on facebook. Honestly, some people think when they get followers or a bit of success that makes them experts in the field of whatever their perceived success is in. Not true, and if you are an expert you still don't treat people like crap. Attack the points, not the pointer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

From what I've seen of Total Biscuit - which is, granted, a limited selection given my general low tolerance for his presentational style - the man criticising others for a lack of critical insight is a little rich. He has a point amongst the childish name calling - one just needs to look at the wealth of shallow, barely engaged responses to Bioshock Infinite to see that - but he is not the paragon of smart, intellectually engaged gaming criticism he seems to think he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Take a listen to the last 5 minutes of his promo piece for Sim City. It's like one of those testimonials you hear on late night ads for exercise machines.

But the criticism i was referring to was his comments on IGN getting one week exclusive early access to Bioshock Infinite in exchange for a week of promotion and a launch day review. He claimed IGN should not have accepted it. I found it a little hypocritical as he had accepted early access of Sim City for reviewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only really watch his planetside stuff for which he was critical of at times even though he seemed to be a fan.

And there's a difference between getting early access with is normal for game reviews and doing a deal like IGN did; personally don't care dislike IGN at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

TB recently did a Vlog about him spending $10k to be at some trade show in the US and he was complaining that he wasnt getting the hits on the videos. I randomly came across that vid and after watchin took a look at his declining viewer ship on the last posted vids.

OP go tthe brunt of some misplaced anger perhaps. Everything stems from something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WOCM4

Fek TB

yahtzee is the king.

I do like TB but you were right OP.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7053-SimCity

lol, dog bollok city

Varik wrote: »
    Only really watch his planetside stuff for which he was critical of at times even though he seemed to be a fan.

And there's a difference between getting early access with is normal for game reviews and doing a deal like IGN did; personally don't care dislike IGN at all.

I agree. It just seemed odd to me that a number of big TGS members had so much fun playing it before release without noticing the issues. I felt the same about their coverage of Paradox games, specifically Dungeonland, Game of Dwarves and War of the Roses.
    platinums wrote: »
    TB recently did a Vlog about him spending $10k to be at some trade show in the US and he was complaining that he wasnt getting the hits on the videos. I randomly came across that vid and after watchin took a look at his declining viewer ship on the last posted vids.

OP go tthe brunt of some misplaced anger perhaps. Everything stems from something.

Yes i saw that vlog. There was a reddit post too. Despite his lower individual video views his subs are still rising though. i think the low views were just because of Pax itself not being too interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

That guy really pisses me off. I watched a video of him at PAX on Project Shield and he's sitting there in his "please take me seriously, I'm a serious businessman" suit and his hilarious comb-over, and he even at one point tries to cut in front of the dude from Nvidia to get the camera to focus on his console. The man is a clown. I have absolutely no doubt he will (and does) sell-out consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Stopped watching TB nearly a year ago. I think he has a rightly snobbish attitude altogether. His loss mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well in this case, he might went over board, there is no excuse going "**** stormy" like that. Though all the boardsies being so perfect and all, never making mistakes and always being spot on with their opinion....

I like TB, I like his old mailbox and the new "content patch" shows. His wtf is a good "first impressions" videos with good gameplay showcase.
    I like his as commentator, even if others "semi pros" don't. He is fun to listen to. I am still a Tastless and Artosis fan, but TB is good at it in his own way.

His wtf of simcity was fair aside as I watched it ( I did not finished it ). He pointed out all the **** in it and was direct with it. He did mentioned that it could be a good game after issues ironed out. Keep in mind, he was able to play it with no/almost no major server issues. He did mentioned that it will be a cluster**** on launch. Everyone expected that, but EA cluster**** was quite legendary.
    As from him being hypocritical in simcity vs bioshock is a bit bull****. All major reviewers had early access to the game. So everyone could and did the same thing. Where's bioshock infinite was a complete "let's buy a review lads".
    In a way I don't know why 2k even did it... It had already shiet loads of publicity and bioshock was a game, that almost everyone wanted to play. I presume no one expected if to be colonial marines in heaven.

Anyway. I like his content, but I would not fallow him blindly. Like any human he does a feck up, so i dont approve on how he handled your situation OP. If you don't like him, don't watch him. That is the beauty of living in democratic countries!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

He seems like a knob, whoever decided to mention yahtzee, he's also a knob.

To be honest the whole industry is riddled with knobs, complete sausage fest.

Well in this case, he might went over board, there is no excuse going "**** stormy" like that. Though all the boardsies being so perfect and all, never making mistakes and always being spot on with their opinion....

Don't think anyone claimed to be perfect. They just don't think you should act like a dick just because you aren't.
    I like TB, I like his old mailbox and the new "content patch" shows. His wtf is a good "first impressions" videos with good gameplay showcase.
    I like his as commentator, even if others "semi pros" don't. He is fun to listen to. I am still a Tastless and Artosis fan, but TB is good at it in his own way.

I liked his Mailbox but i find the amount of production he puts into his content patch means its old news when its released. His WTF series seems to miss many good games. He often gives out that its because he doesn't get free review copies of the game. Still, sometimes you can find a nice gem in the series. I dont listen to his commentary anymore. He doesn't seem to know much about SC2 these days.
    His wtf of simcity was fair aside as I watched it ( I did not finished it ). He pointed out all the **** in it and was direct with it. He did mentioned that it could be a good game after issues ironed out. Keep in mind, he was able to play it with no/almost no major server issues. He did mentioned that it will be a cluster**** on launch. Everyone expected that, but EA cluster**** was quite legendary.
    As from him being hypocritical in simcity vs bioshock is a bit bull****. All major reviewers had early access to the game. So everyone could and did the same thing. Where's bioshock infinite was a complete "let's buy a review lads".

"Sim City is a complex game." "As a simulation it excels." It's a really awesome game" "It's really really good and don't let anyone tell you otherwise because they're liars. They're wrong. They're just straight up wrong."

All those quotes are from the last 6 minutes. TB pointed out issues with modding, always on drm and resource usage. His wife was a little more astute. Spotted an issue with the AI at one stage but it wasn't expanded on.
    In a way I don't know why 2k even did it... It had already shiet loads of publicity and bioshock was a game, that almost everyone wanted to play. I presume no one expected if to be colonial marines in heaven.

It's not hard to understand why they might do it. IGN put massive amounts of material out on games. Wakthroughs, wikis, reviews and much more. Giving them time to prepare all this while still keeping them under an NDA is quite smart. It's not hard to see how this kind of relationship can be abused though. But there is no evidence of this happening in Bioshock. Yeah they hyped it up but it's a pretty amazing game by all accounts. EA went with non-exclusive prerelease press copies and they all got it wrong.
    Anyway. I like his content, but I would not fallow him blindly. Like any human he does a feck up, so i dont approve on how he handled your situation OP. If you don't like him, don't watch him. That is the beauty of living in democratic countries!

It's not about messing up though. It's about how it is handled. A tirade of abuse to someone for asking a question is ridiculous. If that's the best he can come up with I wonder does he actually write his own script for his shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

and yet another reason to dislike that man, i gave up watching his WTFis videos after he openly announced he would be boycotting mass effect 3, after he reviewed it lol

edit: he reviewed the free me3 multiplayer demo, appeared to really enjoy it, then boycotted the game.

and yet another reason to dislike that man, i gave up watching his WTFis videos after he openly announced he would be boycotting mass effect 3, after he reviewed it lol

edit: he reviewed the free me3 multiplayer demo, appeared to really enjoy it, then boycotted the game.

His reason for ME3 boycott was the "From Ashes" DLC. His reasoning being that if it was on the disk on release it should not have been DLC. He was right to criticise it but a boycott was OTT.

I think you quite missing the point there lads. He is not doing reviews, he is doing "first impressions". It's opinions, not reviews, he pointed that put himself good few times. As we know reviews are not opinions and the other way around.

If you are taking those things as reviews, then it's your own problem. It would be the same as taking yatzees "reviews" seriously and not as entertainment show.

His insistence on claiming he doesn't do reviews is also a little hollow. Reviews have no standard. A person can review a games based on an hour of gameplay or a whole playthrough and both can be just as legitimate. Total Biscuit tends to play the game quite a while before his "first" impressions too so it's not a accurate description for his type of video. He reviews games. He judges them on graphics, resource usage, control, plot and many other things. How is that not a review?

that's exactly how i figured it, he inisists he's not a reviewer too, but gives his opinion on what the games he's playing are anyway, which is basically reviewing it.

Anyway, i think what he said back to you was deliberately insulting and incredibly arrogant.
    I had to read it twice and still ask myself Did he honestly say he was embarrassed to have someone as a follower for asking a question?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

SB2013 wrote: »
    His reason for ME3 boycott was the "From Ashes" DLC. His reasoning being that if it was on the disk on release it should not have been DLC. He was right to criticise it but a boycott was OTT.

In what way was a boycott OTT? Giving From Ashes to anyone who bought the game new would have been fine (Providing they had an internet connection) but releasing it as day 1 DLC was taking the p!ss.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

that's exactly how i figured it, he inisists he's not a reviewer too, but gives his opinion on what the games he's playing are anyway, which is basically reviewing it.

Anyway, i think what he said back to you was deliberately insulting and incredibly arrogant.
    I had to read it twice and still ask myself Did he honestly say he was embarrassed to have someone as a follower for asking a question?

Well it's not the worst thing he's said to someone.

What I'd really like to know though is if people agree with me on pre-release review copies. I find them just as bad a practice as exclusive pre-release copies. They create a dependence between the reviewer and the publisher, especially with a big publisher like EA who is putting out a ton of big titles.

The thing about Bioshock and IGn is that it's hard to say if they sold out because the game was amazing anyway. It's much easier to see a trend with a game like Sim City or A Game of Dwarves. So as far as i can see there is just as much, if not more, evidence to indicate reviewers of Sim City were compromised than there is of IGN.

In what way was a boycott OTT? Giving From Ashes to anyone who bought the game new would have been fine (Providing they had an internet connection) but releasing it as day 1 DLC was taking the p!ss.

besides the point if someone is going to make videos "reviewing games" and openly boycotts a AAA title.

• Advertisement

His insistence on claiming he doesn't do reviews is also a little hollow. Reviews have no standard. A person can review a games based on an hour of gameplay or a whole playthrough and both can be just as legitimate. Total Biscuit tends to play the game quite a while before his "first" impressions too so it's not a accurate description for his type of video. He reviews games. He judges them on graphics, resource usage, control, plot and many other things. How is that not a review?

That's the main problem, which people don't understand.

When a review is based on personal opinion, then review is bad. I don't like resident evil 6. I think it is pile of shiet. If I would review it and just say my opinion on how shiet it is, just because it is not classic resident evil, then my review flawed and useless.
    If I state it is my personal opinion and not a review. It means I am looking from my own personal point of view and don't look at the bigger picture.

As I said before. He could have reacted better and he did acted like a dick. That's is it. He is not a god, he bleeds like anyone else. He is mortal. He does mistakes too. So what's next? Where do we steer this thread now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Take a listen to the last 5 minutes of his promo piece for Sim City. It's like one of those testimonials you hear on late night ads for exercise machines.

But the criticism i was referring to was his comments on IGN getting one week exclusive early access to Bioshock Infinite in exchange for a week of promotion and a launch day review. He claimed IGN should not have accepted it. I found it a little hypocritical as he had accepted early access of Sim City for reviewing.

The difference was that EVERYONE had early access to Sim City for reviewing. Well, technically EVERYONE had early access to BioShock too, but only IGN were allowed to post their review early.

The difference between the cases was that IGN essentially bought the rights to be the first ones to talk about the finished BioShock product, whereas with Sim City every single semi respectable outlet was in the same boat - everyone had the game pre-releases (and it actually worked when it was just the media on the servers)

Well it's not the worst thing he's said to someone.

What I'd really like to know though is if people agree with me on pre-release review copies. I find them just as bad a practice as exclusive pre-release copies. They create a dependence between the reviewer and the publisher, especially with a big publisher like EA who is putting out a ton of big titles.

The thing about Bioshock and IGn is that it's hard to say if they sold out because the game was amazing anyway. It's much easier to see a trend with a game like Sim City or A Game of Dwarves. So as far as i can see there is just as much, if not more, evidence to indicate reviewers of Sim City were compromised than there is of IGN.

previews and reviews should always have a thick line separating them.
    as for TB, like i said.. gave up on watching his crap last year. kind of glad after seeing that display.

When a review is based on personal opinion, then review is bad

ALL reviews are based on personal opinion though. That's the nature of them. Some people like some things, others dislike them. There are obviously things that are universally "bad" or "good", such as broken gameplay mechanics, but beyond that, it's personal preference that makes a non-broken game either a 7/10 or a 9/10

It wasn't necessary to play or finish the game. The game was brilliant without it. It added some good extra background and a decent unit but that's all. It didn't affect the overall game. It was a bad play on behalf of EA but the game itself was still worth the money withour the dlc.
    That's the main problem, which people don't understand.

When a review is based on personal opinion, then review is bad. I don't like resident evil 6. I think it is pile of shiet. If I would review it and just say my opinion on how shiet it is, just because it is not classic resident evil, then my review flawed and useless.
    If I state it is my personal opinion and not a review. It means I am looking from my own personal point of view and don't look at the bigger picture.

As I said before. He could have reacted better and he did acted like a dick. That's is it. He is not a god, he bleeds like anyone else. He is mortal. He does mistakes too. So what's next? Where do we steer this thread now.

Like I said, there is no standard for reviews. They can take any form. I still don't see what makes Total Biscuits WTF different to a review.

As to the thread, I'd like peoples opinions on wether IGNs deal is that much different to any other pre-release review copy. More in it for IGN and more open to abuse but surely the same effect on the reliability of the review.

I'd like peoples opinions on wether IGNs deal is that much different to any other pre-release review copy. More in it for IGN and more open to abuse but surely the same effect on the reliability of the review.

It is very different TBH. It happens occasionally, basically an outlet will pay a publisher for exclusive first review rights. The problem is that they either need to give the game a great review, or an awful one because of the exclusivity. A middle of the road review will mean wasted expenditure that isn't turned into hits (which is what this is all about).

If IGN deem an early exclusive review worth X amount, they'll know how many hits they need, roughly, to make it pay off, therefore you cannot trust that the review is in any way accurate unless you've played the game yourself.

Everyone had BioShock Infinite at the same time - the difference was that IGN had bought the rights for the first review to be published

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

taytothief wrote: »
    That guy really pisses me off. I watched a video of him at PAX on Project Shield and he's sitting there in his "please take me seriously, I'm a serious businessman" suit and his hilarious comb-over, and he even at one point tries to cut in front of the dude from Nvidia to get the camera to focus on his console. The man is a clown. I have absolutely no doubt he will (and does) sell-out consistently.

He used to organise tournaments from his own money and he is running a small Starcraft 2 team (which costs a fortune) via tshirt sales and so on.

He's pretty committed to gaming and all that in fairness. I wouldn't call the man a sell out.

He's just too affected by other people's opinions and often overreacts.

It wasn't necessary to play or finish the game. The game was brilliant without it. It added some good extra background and a decent unit but that's all. It didn't affect the overall game. It was a bad play on behalf of EA but the game itself was still worth the money withour the dlc.

Like I said, there is no standard for reviews. They can take any form. I still don't see what makes Total Biscuits WTF different to a review.

As to the thread, I'd like peoples opinions on wether IGNs deal is that much different to any other pre-release review copy. More in it for IGN and more open to abuse but surely the same effect on the reliability of the review.

There is no standard, but there should be. That's why we got "bought reviews", "low quality reviews", "opinion based reviews".

Let alone a very huge difference between reviews and what TB does. Any review will be of a finished game. Any reviewer who reviews game will have finished game, checked all content, done his home work on title. TB jumps on to a title, plays for a bit, says his opinion on what he sees and then moves on.

Stop putting review and opinion in to the same pot. Those are two different things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

besides the point if someone is going to make videos "reviewing games" and openly boycotts a AAA title.

Well, if he didn't get a free review copy then he's perfectly right not to buy it IMO.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

reviews are entirely made up of someones opinions ShadowHearth. Like has been said already there is no industry standard rating for reviewing a title, anyone can do it. TB is living proof of it. Problem is that, someone who's opinion you used to think was critical and solid is looking like it's being skewed by the companies who publish/develop the games he's reviewing, financially or otherwise.

Advertisement