Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit Blu-Ray Ultraviolet Code

Options
  • 05-04-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Legged into town today to get this as I had heard it was out on Monday but then found out it was released today :D. The movie comes with a code for an ultra violet download which allows you to watch it on a smart phone or other portable device. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is supposed to be the first movie available for UV download in Ireland. However, the code I got in my edition (which I got in Golden Discs in the Jervis) is for a UK download so when I tried to download it I got told I couldn't use it outside the UK.

Has anyone else run into this problem and is there a URL I can get to download it in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Trust me, Ultraviolet is a waste of time. If there's an iTunes code, use that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smiley_face400

I don't have an itunes code but if I can't get it to work it won't overly bother me. Just want to see what it's like.

Plus I like the idea of being able to watch The Hobbit wherever I go :D

Ultra Violet doesn't work in Ireland, or at least it didn't when I tried one a few weeks back. A number of HMV special edition Blu-Rays never got an Irish release because the Ultraviolet codes were useless here. Having used the service, well all I can say is don't waste your time or bandwith as it's not worth the hassle.

The Hobbit was supposed to be the first movie available on Ultra Violet in Ireland but if they're giving us UK codes than that's obviously a load of bull. I'll just wait a couple of days then go and find a version that works on my phone on isohunt.com

I'll just wait a couple of days then go and find a version that works on my phone on isohunt.com

Who the hell would want to watch a film on their phone? It's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, seriously no film fan would ever want to watch a film on their phone.

• Advertisement

I'm a massive film fan but I'm not going to carry my laptop around with me when I have a long bus/dart journey. I would, however, watch it on my phone in such circumstances and, as I said before, I like the idea of being able to watch The Hobbit whenever or wherever I go

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Who the hell would want to watch a film on their phone?

I agree, but if you've a 2-hour commute before and after work it's suddenly not a crime against film. Watch the hobbit or have to sit in silence staring at miserable commuters?

I'm a massive film fan but I'm not going to carry my laptop around with me when I have a long bus/dart journey. I would, however, watch it on my phone in such circumstances and, as I said before, I like the idea of being able to watch The Hobbit whenever or wherever I go
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    I agree, but if you've a 2-hour commute before and after work it's suddenly not a crime against film. Watch the hobbit or have to sit in silence staring at miserable commuters?

Could be a 10 hour trip but there's never any reason to watch a film on a phone. It simply ruins the experience and no enjoyment can be gotten from the experience. If you're on a bus or train then read a book, listen to music, play a game, have a conversation. Don't watch a film on your tiny phone, you're only robbing yourself of the experience of watching the film.

It you find yourself commuting or taking long journeys on a regular basis then invest in a kindle fire or a netbook or a half decent tablet and throw on some episodes of shows you don't particularly care for. It's not ideal but far preferable to a phone. The Mentalist is great fir killing 42 minutes on a bus, I'd never watch the show on TV and find it mediocre as hell but have on ocassion watched an episode on my kindle fire.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Could be a 10 hour trip but there's never any reason to watch a film on a phone. It simply ruins the experience and no enjoyment can be gotten from the experience. If you're on a bus or train then read a book, listen to music, play a game, have a conversation. Don't watch a film on your tiny phone, you're only robbing yourself of the experience of watching the film.

It's really not a big deal if its a film someone has seen before tbh.

Mickeroo wrote: »

I often find that when rewatch a film I enjoy it more the second or third time and will pick up on things I missed first time around.

I was on a bus from Dublin last week and the guy sitting beside me was watching the latest episode of Game of Thrones on his phone, the screen was about a third the size of an iPhone. He spent the entire time squinting at it and I can't imagine that he enjoyed it a whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Handy for a long distance flight imo.

If it was a film I really wanted to see then Id never watch it on a phone but for watch a movie to make a flight bearable then the phone is handy out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Handy for a long distance flight imo.

If it was a film I really wanted to see then Id never watch it on a phone but for watch a movie to make a flight bearable then the phone is handy out

I can't think of anything worse than being on a long haul flight squinting into a phone trying to watch a movie, I would be praying for a wing to fall off by the end. I have an S3 and I can barely enjoy Youtube videos on it. Anything below a 10 inch tablet and it is a case of watching something for the sake of watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

there's never any reason to watch a film on a phone. It simply ruins the experience and no enjoyment can be gotten from the experience.

I'm glad there's people on the internet to tell us what we can & can't enjoy.

Regardless of your opinion of watching movies/tv on your phone it still hasn't answered my question.

I asked if there was a way to get the code to work in Ireland not whether or not I should use it.

It's not that I don't think you're entitled to your opinion, I just don't care about it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Quite a few of the digital versions that come with blu rays don't work in Ireland either. Jaws would be the biggest name that I can think of that was not available to work in Ireland.

It is a bit of a pain to buy a blu ray and find that both the ultra violet and digital versions that came with it don't work in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I can't think of anything worse than being on a long haul flight squinting into a phone trying to watch a movie, I would be praying for a wing to fall off by the end. I have an S3 and I can barely enjoy Youtube videos on it. Anything below a 10 inch tablet and it is a case of watching something for the sake of watching it.

Long ass flight, a selection of movies on my phone, 4 hours passed watching em, I've landed and my holidays begins. No need to pack anything extra other than my earphones. Where's the problem?

fair enough its fare from ideal but in a case like this its just an aid to passing time.

@Kess73: It has been annoying buying blu-rays recently that are supposed to come with UV downloads that don't work in Ireland but have found several articles that state that The Hobbit was going to be the first to be available in Ireland (I'll post the links when I find them again)

Regardless of anyone elses opinion of UV downloads I'd prefer to be able to judge for myself and, as I said earlier: This thread isn't about your opinion unless it offers me a solution to the issue that the code I got with the blu-ray I bought doesn't work in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

@Kess73: It has been annoying buying blu-rays recently that are supposed to come with UV downloads that don't work in Ireland but have found several articles that state that The Hobbit was going to be the first to be available in Ireland (I'll post the links when I find them again)

Regardless of anyone elses opinion of UV downloads I'd prefer to be able to judge for myself and, as I said earlier: This thread isn't about your opinion unless it offers me a solution to the issue that the code I got with the blu-ray I bought doesn't work in Ireland.

http://www.clickonline.com/movies/ultraviolet-arrives-in-ireland-with-the-hobbit--but-what-is-it-exactly/17274/

Its states on the Blu Ray UV is UK only so the above website got it wrong.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    http://www.clickonline.com/movies/ultraviolet-arrives-in-ireland-with-the-hobbit--but-what-is-it-exactly/17274/

Its states on the Blu Ray UV is UK only so the above website got it wrong.

Thanks, that's one of the ones I read but obviously they were either wrong or didn't have it ready in time as some of my friends have run into the same problem of the code in the box being for UK only.

Maybe it'll be for the Extended Editions

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MovieFest

Hi,
    Vince here from Movies.ie, the team from Warner/Ultraviolet were in Dublin on Thursday to officially launch the service in Ireland.

--> http://movies.ie/movie_news/1188807/Ultraviolet_launches_movie_streaming_service_in_Ireland

The Hobbit is the only title that will work in Ireland at the moment but all future Warner titles will work. The next UV title being Gangster Squad

I tried the Hobbit DVD on Friday and was getting errors with it but it's working fine for me today. It involved setting up a Flixster account and then an Ultraviolet account, then linking the two.

Both the DVD and Blu-Ray versions should work in Ireland.
    If you need any help feel free to ask and I'll do my best to give you a hand with it.

• Advertisement

Hi Vince,

I have set up both accounts but the URL that I'm directed to is a UK one so is there a different URL I should use to get it to download in Ireland?

Also it says that the code expires on the 8/4/2013 which is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Corivium

Hey,

I just managed to activate mine and it's working fine, just went to https://redeem.flixster.com/ultraviolet/ and input the code. It then asked to link both accounts and did its thing. Works perfectly, hope this will help

Corivium wrote: »
    Hey,

I just managed to activate mine and it's working fine, just went to https://redeem.flixster.com/ultraviolet/ and input the code. It then asked to link both accounts and did its thing. Works perfectly, hope this will help

YAY!! It works :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Just on the phone discussion, I find it ok for TV shows and sitcoms but I agree that you're really destroying the experience for yourself if you're watching a film on your phone.

I guess though the same argument can be directed against MP3s. How can you enjoy music with all the extraneous airplane babble drowning out the subtleties of the song? etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

MovieFest wrote: »
    Hi,
    I tried the Hobbit DVD on Friday and was getting errors with it but it's working fine for me today. It involved setting up a Flixster account and then an Ultraviolet account, then linking the two.

This is what I hate about ultraviolet. It's a lot of hassle to setup. I tried it when I was in the US last year with codes I had on US blu-rays and it needed accounts to be setup for each film studio and then linking them like this. A lot of time needed and needlessly complex.

Love 'em or hate 'em, Apple's cloud setup works really well. I got an Apple TV for Christmas and redeemed a load of digital copies and it just works. I don't have an iPad or iPhone, but it looks like it works the same way across all their devices.

Anyone tried Amazon's service?

My copy of The Hobbit should arrive today (from Amazon UK). I'll give UV another shot.

The film companies need to look at this from the consumer point-of-view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Seems that codes that were bought from uk copies cannot be used on the new irish service.

Tbh it smacks of one big con job tbh with all the hassle of setting it up and then not being able to buy different regions and have the benefit of the digital copy.

**** Warnerbros Paramount and all the rest of them.

They complain that piracy is killing the movie industry but does it really matter whether you buy a UV movie for €25 in Ireland £20 in U.K or $35 in USA its all the bloody same its a legally held copy and with that you should have the option of a digital copy.

Same with Ebooks if you buy a new book you should automatically have a code to put a digital copy on your kindle or nook.

Only reason this will never happen is that it makes too much sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

...I like the idea of being able to watch The Hobbit wherever I go :D
    like if you had to go on an Unexpected Journey? you could watch it on the way There and Back Again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Corivium wrote: »
    Hey,

I tried this link last night and was able to redeem both The Hobbit and Schindler's List. Setup was painless and I was able to watch both on my tablet within a few minutes. The quality wasn't great, but it surprised me how easy it was after trying the American version.

I got both blu-rays from Amazon UK, so looks like the codes will work here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »

I often have stuff on my phone or tablet for quiet days at work, I mostly put stuff with lots of dialogue on there, which sounds kinda mental but its kinda like an audiobook if i'm working away on my pc with my earphones in

• Advertisement
Advertisement