Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is too much (Formula Feed)

Options
  • 06-04-2013 12:02am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi ,

Our little bundle of joy is 3 weeks and 5 days old and would appear to have a savage appetite

9 PM she had 120 mls which she finished fairly lively ,

9.45PM she was screaming for more , gave her another 75mls

She settled down till about 11.45PM , had a dirty nappy and was screaming for more ,

Have a 150 mls in the bottle now and she is flying through it , it would seem to me to be a very hungry baby ,

She suffers from a slight bit of Colic/Reflux so we have a container of comfort food there as well as the normal ( Aptimal )

Firstly would it be ok to mix it up with the normal formula used during the day and the comfort at night

Secondly , is she eating way too much and do we need to get this looked into ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

No problem with mixing the formulas. We used to give the hungrier baby formula for the 11pm feed.

Secondly - babies cannot (in my experience) overfeed - babies (unlike us adults - as I've just scoffed a chocolate bar I really didn't need!!) do have a stop function (!) and they also go through a growth spurt at about 4 weeks and another at 10 weeks. If she's hungry - feed her - imagine if it was you ;-) !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

talk to the PHN, I had 2 starving babies and just fed them when they were hungry.
    My 3 month old takes 5 x 210 bottles a day since before 8 weeks.
    (aptimil hungry baby formula)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

You should feed a reflux baby small amounts and often. At 3 weeks I would be doing max 90ml per feed. Sorry op but maybe she is crying with pain after drinking so much or maybe the Aptamil is hard on her tummy as it was in my sons.

Talk to your doctor and get advice on how much and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

first you wont over feed the baby don't worrie ,if she were to drink to much she would regurgitate it ,second i would give hungary baby feed every bottle we had to do this with our twin son he was on 150mil at 3 weeks on hungary food but would drink 170 mils or more no normal formula,i would not switch between formula as she might be more hungary after normal formula feed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

You can over feed a baby with reflux and cause then a lot of discomfort!!! Talk to your doctor or even better get referred to a pediatrician for more detailed advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

CaraMay wrote: »
    You can over feed a baby with reflux and cause then a lot of discomfort!!! Talk to your doctor or even better get referred to a pediatrician for more detailed advice.

I agree with caramay. We have a one month old and similar to you, he was always starving. He has however got reflux and I think he's drinking to relieve the burning sensation which then ultimately makes him worse. He was on gaviscon (which we're putting him back on) and I found that his feeds settled into a normal pattern and quantity. I would definitely talk to phn or doc about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

yellow hen wrote: »
    I agree with caramay. We have a one month old and similar to you, he was always starving. He has however got reflux and I think he's drinking to relieve the burning sensation which then ultimately makes him worse. He was on gaviscon (which we're putting him back on) and I found that his feeds settled into a normal pattern and quantity. I would definitely talk to phn or doc about this.

I look back on how often I was feeding my little one in something like shock. Didn't realise she had such bad reflux and that she was feeding to stem the pain.

It's something to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Or it could be that your baby is just a "hungry baby". Talk to your PHN or GP about it, but don't fret, which I know is impossible as a mammy! My nephew was a guzzler and my sister was worried, but it turned out he was just a hungry little boy. He's six now and it's a job to get him to eat anything!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Cheers for the replys folks 😊

Advertisement