Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert & Social Welfare

• 06-04-2013 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there, I was wondering if anybody here had some info on this,

I currently work as a mechanic, I left school in 6th year to work under my dad. I'm 19 now and for the past few months I've been considering dropping my apprenticeship and going to college (in other words, finish my leaving). So I went to the local VEC (?) to ask about adult leaving cert courses. They told me that I need to be 21 to do it and that my only option to complete the leaving cert was to go return to a normal seconday school.

At first I thought it was out of the question but I have been considering it. The problem is, if I did that I would have no way to support myself and I don't want to ask my parents to basically 'fund' it.

To make a long story (question) short, can you claim the dole while going to school?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I don't think so, as you will be classified as a 'full-time student'. But I'm not sure so don't just take my word for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would doubt it strongly, otherwise everyone would do it. For most education benefits you will have needed to be signing on for a definite period of time before starting the education. Most parents fund their kids leaving certs. Is that completely out of the question?

Advertisement