Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 'thin' burger in Dublin

Options
  • 06-04-2013 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I've been searching for a great burger in Dublin. The usual mentioned spots, of which I have visited most, are:
    • JoBurger
    • The Counter
    • GBK
    • Bobos
    • Bull and Castle
    • Porterhouse
    • Yamamori Izakaya
    • etc.

My problem is all the burgers are a lot like:

tumblr_lnak7bCPPA1qkushfo1_500.jpg

I find that I'd need to dislocate my entire jaw to eat these properly. You end up eating the top mouthful, then the bottom and by the end, everything is in a great big mess on the plate. At the end, there's so much packed in that it's more of a marathon than a solid meal.

What I'm searching for is a great burger that looks more like:

20101010-Mark-Mark-sliders.jpg

This is more like a slider or just a great quarter pounder without the additional 'gourmet' on top. Less is more, in my book.

Anyway, does anybody have any suggestions for places that serve great 'thin' burgers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

Squash it down

\thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ricks?
    Agreed op, some places do burgers and the meat patty is way too thick, sometimes it's like a big meatball in a bun. Although, I was in Counter and as far as I can remember it was ok shaped. Never in Ricks sober, so cant vouch for it. But I remember the burgers being thin. It's on Dame street or College Green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Another vote for rick's here. It's on the bottom of George's street/ Dame street corner. Simple meat in a bun with a bit of onion. They taste similar enough to eddie rockets burgers. Great after a feed of pints! Nice simple biteable burger, not these towers that the gourmet burger places do where you're confused about whether to put the thing on it's side to eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

One should be able to hold a burger in one hand and lift chips with the other. Those other ones are just a silly mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Couldn't agree more. Man vs Food? Some of the places ive had burgers in I wanted to see Chef vs Burger. How the hell are you meant to eat one and keep your nice white chefs tunic clean? A 10 euro burger and 7 euros of it ends up in your napkin or on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Zygnoth

Cheers for the replies. Ricks looks like the one to go for so.

Obviously, I've passed by there a lot and thought it was just overpriced burgers for tourists. Looks like I need to give it a second chance!

There was a place in Cork called Mattie Kielies that shut down a couple of years ago that was great. Served and ate at the counter, human-sized burgers and great banter from the man himself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Praise The Lord someone has said it!

Why gourmet is taken to mean unwieldy is beyond me.

Rick's is still a lovely simple as you want it burger with nice meat.

Mind you I've never asked them for a simplified version in a fancy burger place.

BTW, the 2nd pic has me hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I actually think GBK is the worst.

The burgers are distinctly average, but what's unforgivable is how they manage to f*ck up chips! They're awful!

The Counter is pretty good I think - you can get extra patties if you want a ridiculous sized burger you can't eat!

Grab some burger recipes online for a homemade treat some evening. :)

I'm dying for a burger now!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rick's quality dipped a bit a few years ago I thought.

Have they upped their game again?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Rick's quality dipped a bit a few years ago I thought.

Have they upped their game again?

I found it less consistent about 4 year ago, occasionally good occasionally bad- a burger place needs consistency I think. However I started going back about 2 years ago and it's been good each time.

Mind you that's just your standard burger, I've found everything else (wings, fries etc.) to be woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I think the burgers in eddie rockets are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Get one of the smaller burgers from Aussie BBQ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Jumboman wrote: »
    I think the burgers in eddie rockets are great.

Me too. Eddie's is my pig-out place of choice, even if it is a little bit over-priced.

I'm no philistine, I do like Bobos etc and used to frequent the Real Gourmet Burger in Dun Laoghaire when I lived there, but I have to put a word in for the McDonalds hamburger. Cheap, simple, hits the hamburger-needing spot. I could eat a half-dozen of the things no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

You need to come to my house, I make the best burger ever. As thin or as thick as you like.

Hate big thick burger myself, its like eating a brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

JoBurger, get it in a tortilla instead of a bun. Its ridiculously good

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Another vote for Ricks here. Again never been in it sober but I often remember it as the best part of a night out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ricks is nothing now to what it used to be, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Went to BoBos today and found it very bland. Burger tasted of nothing and chips nothing special. Would have enjoyed a McDonalds more.

I agree with the OP, I love Jo burger but they're just too big to enjoy, it's a mess. Usually go to Eddies for one that is less unwieldly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Captain Americas on Grafton St....say no more. Great atmosphere too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I was in Ricks once and I wouldn't say I got a burger, it was more like a handfull of minced meat in a bun. It was a mess. Very disappointing.

I'd take a double whopper with bacon and cheese over it any day. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

What Ireland needs is In-N-Out Burger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Funkfield wrote: »
    What Ireland needs is In-N-Out Burger.

Those are good burgers, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Those are good burgers, dude.

Ha yes!

But srsly, anyone who has been knows exactly what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

Ricks is the best burgers I find, especially given how prices are comparable to a large McD meal but the quality is much higher!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Burgers in tempura's house!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Zygnoth wrote: »
    20101010-Mark-Mark-sliders.jpg

This is more like a slider or just a great quarter pounder without the additional 'gourmet' on top. Less is more, in my book.

Anyway, does anybody have any suggestions for places that serve great 'thin' burgers?

Mmmm those are Mark Burger sliders. Best burgers I've ever had. St Mark's Place in NY.
    Hammertime wrote: »
    JoBurger, get it in a tortilla instead of a bun. Its ridiculously good

The only way to do Jo'Burger is in a wrap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Another vote here for Ricks, and once again another who has never ate one sober :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Unfortunately, in Ireland, the best place to get a decent burger is at home.

Our wonderful environmental health officer's feel we are unable to handle a proper, bloody, rare, Irish beef burger and in their wisdom, they have banned all restaurants cooking meat the way it should be cooked!

I (barely) cook them at home all the time ,the whole family is still alive and I'm an amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ron jambo

That's the great thing about hunting, you're your own judge and act accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Unfortunately, in Ireland, the best place to get a decent burger is at home.

Our wonderful environmental health officer's feel we are unable to handle a proper, bloody, rare, Irish beef burger and in their wisdom, they have banned all restaurants cooking meat the way it should be cooked!

I (barely) cook them at home all the time ,the whole family is still alive and I'm an amateur.

Jo'burger will cook your burger rare for you if you want.

Advertisement