Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

android 4 OS

Options
  • 06-04-2013 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I Was wondering can you put an android 4 os onto a normal harddrive and run it on a desktop as a main operating system ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

LukeyKid wrote: »
    I Was wondering can you put an android 4 os onto a normal harddrive and run it on a desktop as a main operating system ?

Look up Android x86

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Allyall wrote: »
    Look up Android x86

Hardware support in Android x86 is somewhat shaky. Furthermore, no applications made for ARM-based Android devices will work unless they are re-compiled for the x86 architecture.

You're probably better off with an emulator such as BlueStacks. It doesn’t replicate the full Android experience, it’s just an “app player” that runs individual apps on your PC. BlueStacks runs in full-screen mode, but you can Alt-Tab and use other programs while it’s open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Torqay wrote: »
    Hardware support in Android x86 is somewhat shaky. Furthermore, no applications made for ARM-based Android devices will work unless they are re-compiled for the x86 architecture.

You're probably better off with an emulator such as BlueStacks. It doesn’t replicate the full Android experience, it’s just an “app player” that runs individual apps on your PC. BlueStacks runs in full-screen mode, but you can Alt-Tab and use other programs while it’s open.

Bluestacks runs through vmware. Only really exists to run apps. It's not Android as a main OS.

Android x86 (Depending on what build you get, and your PC) can run smoothly on many PC's.

I have had it running smoothly on PC's over 5/6/7 years old. I experimented with it on the Arctic MC-001, and all sorts of problems occurred. I found out since then, that it was the partitions and triple-booting it with other OS's causing the problems.

As an individual OS Android runs fine. Not all hardware is supported, but because it's Linux based, it can be made to support most.
    It's not an ideal OS, but takes up feck all space.
    Since Google allowed it to go ahead (After they removed all links from Google Code and restored them.) It has gained more popularity, which includes many extra developers helping to solve any problems that are encountered.

If that's what you're looking for, then Puppy Linux or SliTaz are better.

If you're just messing around/experimenting then go for it.

Android x86 running on a Sony Vaio

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Allyall wrote: »
    Bluestacks runs through vmware. Only really exists to run apps. It's not Android as a main OS.

Android x86 (Depending on what build you get, and your PC) can run smoothly on many PC's.

I have had it running smoothly on PC's over 5/6/7 years old. I experimented with it on the Arctic MC-001, and all sorts of problems occurred. I found out since then, that it was the partitions and triple-booting it with other OS's causing the problems.

As an individual OS Android runs fine. Not all hardware is supported, but because it's Linux based, it can be made to support most.
    It's not an ideal OS, but takes up feck all space.
    Since Google allowed it to go ahead (After they removed all links from Google Code and restored them.) It has gained more popularity, which includes many extra developers helping to solve any problems that are encountered.

If that's what you're looking for, then Puppy Linux or SliTaz are better.

If you're just messing around/experimenting then go for it.

Android x86 running on a Sony Vaio

Thanks man lots of help :D yeah im just messing about was thinking if it would work to have my windows 7 on one of my harddrives then have android on the other just to mess about and main reason for andriod is they dont need alot of power to run nicely so why not just mess about with it if you get me..

Advertisement