Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Interns being ripped off

• 06-04-2013 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

I heard a woman on the radio, says ,i worked for company x,6months,intern
    ,. they let me go , said ,we don,t need you any longer.
    My job was advertised again ,intern ,wanted ,office assistant, on jobridge scheme.
    Why should a company employ someone,when they can get an intern for 50 euro per week?
    How can a normal person compete against someone ,who works for 50 euro.
    Companys put ad on fas, for nothing.Change the job title.eg office assistant etc
    IT seems we are going to end up like the usa,
    young people will need to intern ,for months ,
    to have a hope of getting experience,
    With no gaurantee of getting a job.
    Jobridge is only avaidable to people on the dole for a certain time.

IS This good for the economy.Companys getting interns for 50 euro a week.
    I Thought interns were not supposed to do essential work.
    eg if you need a receptionist,hire one,at a full wage.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

As a slightly different slant, young lawyers have, for years, worked a couple of years unpaid as they complete their traineeship/devilling. Whether that is right or wrong, it is the reality. They do it because at the end of the day the experience is worth more to them than their work is to their employer.

You would think that jobbridge is ideally suited to their situation, but they are excluded from it. The qualification that you be registered with fas means you must be unemployed for a period of time which effectively precludes people fresh out of college from availing of it.

Doubtless the same is true of many other industries ie computer programming where a graduate is of no or little economic value to the employer until they have gained experience. Plus, in these industries employers get dozens of CVs in rather than having to advertise the jobs.

So, if the purpose of the scheme is to help people upskill, it should be done on the basis that a person gets an unpaid internship and can then apply for payments. The system as operated makes it unattractive/unavailable to people who genuinely want to upskill, and to companies that offer genuine opportunities to do so.

It seems to be a bit of a numbers swizz, to try to take people out of the unemployed bracket and reclassify them as doing an internship. There is of course the risk that employers will exploit this, but really it is up to every individual not to allow themselves be exploited.

As a slightly different slant, young lawyers have, for years, worked a couple of years unpaid as they complete their traineeship/devilling. Whether that is right or wrong, it is the reality. They do it because at the end of the day the experience is worth more to them than their work is to their employer.

What it also means is that it's another obstacle to people from non-monied backgrounds from getting anywhere in the industry.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What it also means is that it's another obstacle to people from non-monied backgrounds from getting anywhere in the industry.

No it doesn't. It means that people have to work part time jobs in addition to a stressful traineeship to earn as much as people get from jobbridge (less, if they have to pay for ongoing college fees etc). You can have two people from the same background doing effectively the same thing ie trying to get experience in a given industry.

One has to work every hour god sends while the other gets government support. The only distinctions seem to be that the former want the specific job and will work hard to get it, while the other has no specific aim in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Serving an internship as a lawyer or something is one thing, but the likes of this is taking the piss....

Cafe & Shop Assistant / Waiter / Waitress

Barperson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SHE was saying ,i need to intern ,to get a job,
    now she,s competing with people on jobbridge who are on the dole,
    Jobridridge is a new factor,
    its been in operation about 14 months , i think.
    A company should only be allowed to take on interns for a limited time.
    of course a similar thing is happening in america.
    People are employed ,on a 3day shift,
    so employer can avoid paying for health benefits.
    SHES ,Competing to get an internship.
    With no gaurantee of getting a job from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SO you need to intern for 6 months ,to get skills to work in a cafe ,
    thats ridiculous,
    How long does it take to train someone to work a cash register.
    Maybe an hour?
    MAYBE a week to make coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

It's just another stupid government scheme.

One has to work every hour god sends while the other gets government support. The only distinctions seem to be that the former want the specific job and will work hard to get it, while the other has no specific aim in mind.

Who gets government support while devilling/interning for law firms?

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Serving an internship as a lawyer or something is one thing, but the likes of this is taking the piss....

Cafe & Shop Assistant / Waiter / Waitress

Barperson

Exactly. But jobs that require actual training and experience aren't suited to jobbridge, so jobbridge is left with all these free slave schemes. I would go so far as to say that jobs that require an employer to give actual valuable experience to interns are positively excluded from jobbridge. So a solicitor can take someone on as a legal executive, secretary or office clerk via jobbridge, but can't offer them an apprenticeship through same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The whole thing is a rip-off.
    Unpaid labour and cute hoorism.

Who gets government support while devilling/interning for law firms?

Interns for non solicitor jobs can get it eg legal executive, secretary etc. but apprentices don't because these aren't traditionally advertised like normal jobs. Meanwhile, people who work in jobs that don't traditionally have an apprenticeship period get paid by the state. Perhaps this creates unpaid jobs where formerly the jobs were paid, but it also means that people who have a fixed idea as to what work they wish to do are at something of a disadvantage to those who sign on, apply to fas and hope for the best.

Interns for non solicitor jobs can get it eg legal executive, secretary etc. but apprentices don't because these aren't traditionally advertised like normal jobs. Meanwhile, people who work in jobs that don't traditionally have an apprenticeship period get paid by the state. Perhaps this creates unpaid jobs where formerly the jobs were paid, but it also means that people who have a fixed idea as to what work they wish to do are at something of a disadvantage to those who sign on, apply to fas and hope for the best.

I was trying to stick to the legal thing rather than jobbridge as jobbridge isn't going to apply to the "internships" that have always been unpaid in that sector.

I was trying to stick to the legal thing rather than jobbridge as jobbridge isn't going to apply to the "internships" that have always been unpaid in that sector.

I'm sorry I don't get your point. My point is that jobbridge should apply to professional apprenticeships/training which are often unpaid, rather than to low skill/unskilled industries, which traditionally are.

You can't stop people chancing their arm at getting free workers in the latter, but you could perhaps reform the system whereby the payment follows the placement rather than the placement being advertised only to people already claiming benefits. But of course, that wouldn't help reduce the unemployment statistics.

I don't accept however, your suggestion that this is so to act as an obstacle to people who are not from well off backgrounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

It is sad to see that young people and the unemployed are still being taken advantage by these substandard 'intern schemes'.

But heartning to see the Labour government taking a hit in the polls as they should, for their introduction of the scheme, it's piss poor performance on their part. They don't deserve to be in the next government for this scheme alone.

First, internships are used in countries like the States to provide entry for graduates into high level positions. There is a set training programme that all the interns are provided with to obtain the necessary industry experience. This is a complete contrast to the schemes which have been set up in Ireland.

These schemes are not training programmes, they are hastly prepared 'back of an envelope' schemes to pull the unemployed off the dole queues and take advantage of their desparate situation through the use of free labour.

Anyone with a bit of 'get up & go' would be better off sitting at home, read a book about business or do a course in something that your passionate about, get that up and going rather than been taken advantage of.

You'll feel far better about yourself, rather than six months 'training' stacking shelves being treated like a doormat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

The owners of a profitable company should not have people working for them when they are well able to pay them. The argument that interns are "dead weight" is void for two reasons. Firstly, if a company is incapable of using an intern in a productive manner then they have an organisation problem because even someone straight out of college can be useful for something. Secondly, if a company wants good staff, it has to look to the training and development of those people itself.

For any young man or woman faced with this jobsbridge nonsense, I say emigrate. Seriously, if no one is willing to treat you with dignity then its time to move on, taking your skills and potential elsewhere. If the state has failed to provide the environment in which you can find a job and thus pay your tax to cover the cost of your education then that is the failing of the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

It wont be long now til you can get an intern to cut your grass for 9 months.
    Then get another one after that.
    Might as well get one to do the laundry too.
    Sure you could charge your neighbors for their laundry and get your intern to do it.
    oh Wait ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

In the case of trainee solicitors it is not just wrong it is illegal to not pay them the minimum wage. I know it goes on nonetheless.

But when you think about it a newly qualified solicitor is in a great position to take his former employer to the employment appeals tribunal. They'd have a valid claim of 2 years labour at minimum wage, approx €38,000 so not an insignificant sum.

I haven't heard of it happening yet. But if some young newly qualified solicitor wanted to establish themselves in employment law and to make a name for themselves then what better way to go about it than suing your former boss for unpaid wages.

Only a matter of time I suspect, there are lots of solicitors out there exploiting young trainees and someday it'll come back to bite them in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

RATM wrote: »
    In the case of trainee solicitors it is not just wrong it is illegal to not pay them the minimum wage. I know it goes on nonetheless.

But when you think about it a newly qualified solicitor is in a great position to take his former employer to the employment appeals tribunal. They'd have a valid claim of 2 years labour at minimum wage, approx €38,000 so not an insignificant sum.

I haven't heard of it happening yet. But if some young newly qualified solicitor wanted to establish themselves in employment law and to make a name for themselves then what better way to go about it than suing your former boss for unpaid wages.

Only a matter of time I suspect, there are lots of solicitors out there exploiting young trainees and someday it'll come back to bite them in the arse.

isnt that running the risk of biting the hand that feeds you scenario .... the companies/employers may have many business contacts that they have built up over many years of business...so a young newly graduated "intern" is more than likely going to find themselves making a name for themselves alright .... as a person to avoid employing.

As regards the intern thing in general ... Yes ! ..interns in this country are being ripped off and are quite often being exploited, I know of a few people who actually pay to gain experience in photography - they are brought to jobs and encouraged to "work" as part of the experience of learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

RATM wrote: »

They'd never work again.

The very existence of the Kings Inns and the Law Society is a mockery of the justice they're supposed to be an integral part of imho. If you look at some of the practices they engage in: slave labour, no right to re-check of exams, no return of your application fee if it's decided you're "unsuitable" to study in the Inns, restrictions on part-time employment considered suitable for students whilst attending, requirements to attend expensive dinners, acceptance of solicitors not paying junior barristers invoices etc. etc. etc.

Try any of the above in another industry and they'd be falling over each other to take your case. Try to take the case against another member of the old boys (and girls) network, however, and you'll never get representation (nor, one would assume, a fair trial since the judge would be cut from the same amoral cloth as the rest of his ilk).

• Advertisement

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DLtMTHu03GIBLbGLtTjZZMOJkAVJmN5YD7WvRD8ZVptaxlTTughQX8qNY6+6Z6Hf+SCPlgC2alqYE9NaeTHUk4O9Eu9AmvnY41eHXz386svG2SAKi0EIZ+k1zldacQz+Ode1h9AXjKbW1clz5YMPK0ydrtr1xjlOhCjjeXn79IlvD2nc09IxXI9SztpIpldOxTDV94Owv+FmhuotV6jiKzGVbfJXOyOCeQ/09zIUT7QekoYFN4v4WDfA5UFEKFikqH7L4eYO3rlkHZFUFzJuOshxrH0AkKeW9eomUh/mF44XabLbI1cZ45JYaQTCNtjprBk/DwerBnznFDLaeqTRQbeQZHX5qI3e48v88doHAS4DCQQJlmkXwN8u/76Owm2JDPaZ8353RLpQ91n1u2nObYVWEkpcSijUmg==
    House Keeping Assistant
    Description

The intern will gain practical experience in the day to day running of B&B, cleaning experience, dealing with the public. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following stock control, customer care, clearing routines and cleaning products. On completion the intern will have attained skills in hygiene skills, customer care, working in a team environment and the procedures of running a B&B.
    Skills Requirements
    Hours per week: 30

GOOD RELIABLE PERSON

Tudor House
    15 Mary Street
    Dungarvan
    Co. Waterford

Phone 058 41873

Email tudor@cablesurf.com

exploit_zps28720790.jpg

http://www.tudorbar.com/
    Our rates/prices are shown below:

Double room €35 - €40 pps
    Single room €50 - €55
    Family room contact for price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

MMAGirl wrote: »
    It wont be long now til you can get an intern to cut your grass for 9 months.
    Then get another one after that.
    Might as well get one to do the laundry too.
    Sure you could charge your neighbors for their laundry and get your intern to do it.
    oh Wait ......

Completely agree, the job bridge system is so badly regulated its ridiculous. Basically, there are no checks at all on what an intern will be doing. For example I know somebody who has a job bridge intern in (doing actual real work, something to do with digital marketing and SEO - its a small 3 person business and they actually want to take the intern on if they do well). He has told me that the only restrictions/rules put in place is

1. Length of internship (6-9 months)
    2. For every 5 employees, you can have one Job bridge intern...

If the intern is generally learning a skill then it is a good thing. But the lack of actual restrictions/rules being applied by the body running it is a down right disgrace. If this thing was run properly it would actually be a really good scheme for stimulating employment and re-skilling people. Typical half arsed attempt here by the governing bodies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If the internship is taking the piss then the intern can quit and report the employer.

Waiter/Waitress

Applicants should click on the link below to download the application form. Complete and send by email to:info@caitins.com or Post to: Jack Golden,Caitins, Kells, Caherciveen, Co. Kerry

Mentor
    The Organisation will assign a mentor to support you during the Internship.

Patrick Golden
    Kells
    Caherciveen
    Co. Kerry

Phone 066 9477601

Email jackgolden@hotmail.com

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DOPuvs6g7PNXeR6oemC+wSVYIzJf/ZprK7h3IRq5bsQ/RyFejYRk6vHVALBO+fkpwbJ5KhQtgcb1WLhjAMRii/znMZ31ClARn5Y23DRQRA5V0vXTeXg9QARHCVKS79YIT20v/nKoJhoIdu/sh4OJqwkzBZmieXJ52xoDibyOSm1fErB+SbcTojd6o9lI0Y1neUMd26F3g5zCmS9sx1MET2ofE7omv7iChJphSINPkSKICbKeAc4vvcxzzZdkTfrGmdPCEd3HJvqLdcPgT13fVq/WuDnp707LhTf6Xxd69v1nHk18ZhRx79q/QPijsiR3yHrTok5a6sqF9HdZ10tCHi0Idv/iV1uc91kyMbzsnCjAJSjoHVqBQvRbOLZvVk7nrTVkkTTCZ635wruP542hSvvpxtfaMxj1XQ==

A mentor and 6 month training to be a waiter/waitress. This is what Ireland has to offer?
    Maybe you would prefer changing nappies at the creche in Edenderry

Childcare Assistant

Jigsaw Creche
    19 Carraig Aoibhinn
    Carrickhall Close
    Edenderry
    Co. Offaly

seanlpdoherty@yahoo.ie

Phone

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DBTbh8j5OwIOw2W6zgjsXnC+sZU1Z3GKNkPd1b3TGXyi03Bl5F143CQXXvnReAEYTeYie73Vua4WbYkCqcrwL56Jz4ym3WuV4VjpieekpAx3rdlrQfiAE6l19PglqHNfeP6QLI9yIbSJeHUIg69Ni7rN+np5hH3VsDY0WBNV+II8r3YrrhBSLmS9pbgIslgJEko3D7KviangAIncp7PY1y4qNP4TvVqr7+WWKDSCVyDIG9JIREFoRqSVf6+qRUTMz42/zI47bvIFS2QOq3/TLSdrxvD1BZ4Xf19ayqRt+BBauEU5ofmiD6yjUovfuDvXXBUjOcS/xx6YcguOV19ivIbm1aIIbN1uWkT8FlL5sjtxCCQPfmfg/iO1clat9cXILvGsjcf/FKrjuC2Hw8BX29iwN+wXQRJVhQ==

Loads of cashier internships going too. What is wrong with people these days that it takes 9 months to train them up to be cashiers ? I remember being served and serving people while still a teenager.
    Drogheda Town
    Email a CV to - info@kennedymotorcycles.com
    http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DCHlIFTSerAKiYp8FgK/R2tNjPa9QU91QLZt3GXHKpvwRiMqNFzohEPVhqM5+5CQUqWfHn8kKoqT8kk7fflH+m5h21pE1vi3F3+wAPwt5Rx9DeQIzSByLP8QfHur1sO259dpkd03iUP+uNg9MCQwg+VTFoq68gJDy4VjGzXcfHhMRsJVR09XA8znr6yr26ewN1VcD+BT/niEm12VUeyVFGZCQB34ENje9ZaX4a+bPv6ZK6f4AifHceFPnnXwraJ3vRvJ82MS2QYN5akKiUNTMsx2hjvMI7gwN5sDxpBdnnWaSV/1ONHfVHGbb1yCvAWbuczbcT4ATRqiMgki1IHGf6bxmtL0yYqzTcJ7HL70t70BdtZeNprw5QpcrCwYfOFfDP/ONZE4RpZmaTvYlAXsRW8u2x2dcK2Z5A==

Ferns

Applicants should click on the link below to download the application form. Complete and send by email to: info@lodgewood.ie

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DIVRp8Ka/eGSxtLGD4BSC7DxvL6TBoNt8VffbLJop7aLKC6Qt+2VEiZAfPeY97TL4FH4TG0mdIz02BEmGroIh93LWYZJAfcuoUSui81qafdcDU38pk5H6oSaL2B1Y0TART9iVbsikUAWb0zZ61AxOv/aYS95xSxDC0DU1ZJZhydmwdrSRXdHtSg2fMXfjXCkfLLZxQkJ9nnpP9VL2GP13aKaDSFLpZMZHi2p84r9RNyRrYGh7mGFSR0liP6qS0Ar6KIQ8Pc3KO6VwcYMjLAUmCotKE8CHvZN5eGRM33pFe2umx0VssnNfAE7DYYypRyDSQmoVbHqoPHmfYjqL4IxXxZQGgtSpwCXq9VptcqvSWQAWl82odaINN8du+8UCbeTekcYJKo0x+Fx3U8M3rVGcnuXH0+y0YbVBw==

Employer

Eurotrek Group - Eurocycles/Eurobaby
    Finches Business Park
    Longmile Road
    Dublin 12

Phone

Fax

Email

Colette.fusco@eurotrekgroup.com

Applicants should click on the link below to download the application form. Complete and send by email to: Kate.Odea@eurotrekgroup.com or Post to: Unit 1 Finches Park, Longmile Road, Dublin 12

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DJWe2EnfrSwfywPzTbbDnqSEhJNyxqhuq5r9N+pbpGqOv9+CSDaTDhLY2iI6kkiWR0OCWe8Gf8FOChgFgRL9eenBBZjolXjYXdshbch9u+o/Lq/xjgyNtBpN5bLI2H+UZGPBxekWriAEY7EmfgRBz1jxS3mJRIkEp9fgvXh5ZB3AtXGFdS1odU9KurjRE7Nwfjiuvcj0Fk5D3rBleUqrnzIQhhNHyJ1VLKi0bjY6ezDSa674uWghxjuUEkxZiRfYZK5h6BAMDwCT1ChNsxt1AuwDwywtK8uuJCzjJjp6fW/Op2WfEd57tB0rN5cyt1WhMyDHdZcsdhgGatvo5XxsEqdVHMPRiJn9yKC5U5ao5Q12RKs1RQaN3wLmDW0KZXjshvzb2NbuSAxLflhN7h7+atxrTxWaHHdajQ==

Rakes and rakes of waiter/waitressing jobs too
    This one is in Ardee

Applicants may e-mail a CV to - hunterstowninn@hotmail.com

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DNZrAS9g28vMn0BzmnPwE9vLFi4AQDz/tV64NaSSb2xX1E7vU6UE+GmtC+SY+FncK5SqpWcAIxuiHAzpluagaeZdz6u/eiEyE4efeYnWJA/A64mKatSseiBIA1oqsR1FsHdyKRia9TMXWIPCAUU4YeoSYHOocjO5o/lIh6VlPzNpN5OdFAITGMOvus7RAprWGWXbS6uAvWN9UYVVp11BloDar/vWTBYSsnA7Dzdz40N4w0DUzG3Wft+swsIRMZT02caza/FKmzN54LVRcQJlwv/zKw+im1APAYNBdjiTmft3QjlqF9gwVp3exLGPJmJ2VaMJUnVcEETWRZGxEa05zP4MWcBjZWo0Vkwks+NVg53C3po3574qYOl1rWhwrgn1d/G72HiX827qqp8P6Sbrf0i1ZdWKeVQgGA==

Employer

Hibernian Gifts Ltd
    Bolton Street
    Waterford

Phone

Email

hiberniangifts@gmail.com

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DNbAUOQda+qsLSLmtXFkkrI64Sr7KPjnhU+xJcfciyut0YkDQ+WwyZ7xEF6cSVehOUf9nkHJhnAkjc+/BwUB9K6HL5qwo/p+XDoreB/LnIPLNwmCe094EQLIKzTJPvJPitugua4mEcfGtxSerz2QkW+VP9w4y9RSErgqurXJg/hU2AYU6xYmZbTsUdcDatg5ccWDx09m9xLACNLZfdw4dBrOkig1QPTSj6ok8bydcSoCMUgs6MZzKzXZTw/FKL7tAqX0fB9u4NFf8KGFBg3nBcSBsPFcNOYGLLDlld3dj6+YhDwE31qqTjgNgAlauJBtbkNgVUGwLas+wMqQlNuOtQ9TPjouqRP9NSB6tjoq/YZkSa7s3cGWwXothG89CMX8HdhE82qwVlyZNe/UjlPkRqSMvgJyeDhX/w==

Sales & Admin Assistant

Please email aotoole@cloneemotorcentre.ie

Description

The intern will gain practical experience in the sales process, dealing face to face with customers, negotiation, marketing and vehicle administration. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following sales process, negotiation, vehicle appraisal, objection handling and local marketing. On completion the intern will have attained skills in selling, dealing with prospective customers, negotiation and working in a competitive and dynamic environment, gain insight to the Motor Sales trade.

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DH86J0jhI+jA9A2e2mdJ9cxHoANwBR7iDm+PWQ0I/+r59Rq6KMsVDU8Nk9lps9ZjHKUAm2hFHa+BNT/N9eHEjDts+8mLV4U9QRjEO/htJQOx+ICdexpmc+EjWira4LkcN2QbQkvkW4Kd6rVGKh245L1A1UcO1f0zU5cnq779TF1uOrOB9fO29fI6JuUcfCozQ5I/AaRDy2Pw4LQWVJvT6e5EoSMWNMRWuvbpynKH2Pe+NO/sDaqkzzWshu0KtznQASvKBuEBJCebtpwKJ+gUtdL9GR5eY9d3GogRY3DsIIoXpWqBpFzicZAr+6dIo4X0wlTCAoowxPclFNDNrn9TBnGrKMeXd8bMVSrMaHxoYQlGtrcaQFH2sg15F9y7uYRkb03bCxxgYV8YPzjFiIZILH0lCzSksqfpTg==

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

The whole thing is a rip-off.
    Unpaid labour and cute hoorism.
    there's a touch of onthroponoorship about it all right, best thing is the person will have had clean working record and be proven worker - that's a skill in itself. Hopefully they won't get too exploited or threatened with bad reviews if they don't do x during their internship.

srsly78 wrote: »
    If the internship is taking the piss then the intern can quit and report the employer.

The scheme itself is destroying jobs. Why hire someone for a paid position when you can get them for free. Ruins the wider economy for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

The scheme itself is destroying jobs. Why hire someone for a paid position when you can get them for free. Ruins the wider economy for everyone.

The thing about that is, some small companies may say "we dont have the money to hire someone, well make do without"

But if they take an intern and it is actually skilled work and actually trains the person in a re-useable skill, hopefully that they can use again in a paid position - that's beneficial for both parties.

But you are right, this scheme now makes it easier for employers to say "make do without, and get an intern" and they actually do have the money to hire someone...

Add that to the tripe companies are putting on it for low skilled, unpaid sh1te that wont benifit the intern in anyway, and literally no restrictions put on companies, and you have a flop of a system and whoever came up with it/runs it needs there heads checked...

If your competition is getting free labour then you must do the same to stay afloat especially now that times are tough.

This type of scheme completely destroys the jobs market. It will feed emigration.

BGozIE wrote: »
    The thing about that is, some small companies may say "we dont have the money to hire someone, well make do without"

But if they take an intern and it is actually skilled work and actually trains the person in a re-useable skill, hopefully that they can use again in a paid position - that's beneficial for both parties.

But you are right, this scheme now makes it easier for employers to say "make do without, and get an intern" and they actually do have the money to hire someone...

Add that to the tripe companies are putting on it for low skilled, unpaid sh1te that wont benifit the intern in anyway, and literally no restrictions put on companies, and you have a flop of a system and whoever came up with it/runs it needs there heads checked...

Whatever happened to a fair days pay for a fair days work?

Won't be long til we can all have an intern to cut the grass

• Advertisement

Whatever happened to a fair days pay for a fair days work?

Won't be long til we can all have an intern to cut the grass

the government got involved !!

times are tough for businesses but some of the "internships" show that the system is unregulated and being abused (why not punishments for those abusing the system)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

yes interns are being ripped off by greedy employers and the system is probably doing more harm than good to the unemployment situation.

I personally know a person that did a 6 month internship in a company , They were replaced by another intern when their 6 months was up.

When the second interns six months were up the first was approached and offered another internship doing the same job as before. They said they wouldn't do it again on intern wages and were then offered additional €50 per week cash in hand on top of the intern wage to take the job which they did.

That's a greedy employer abusing the system and taking advantage of the unemployed, I doubt very much it's an isolated case.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Anyone with any degree can go to China and live very well teaching English. There is a thread on it here.
    Why stay in Ireland and be exploited. Go out and have some life experience while you are young. If you put up with being treated like slaves here, and do nothing but complain about it on the web then you deserve it.
    Spread your wings.

Corkbah wrote: »
    the government got involved !!

times are tough for businesses but some of the "internships" show that the system is unregulated and being abused (why not punishments for those abusing the system)

A company should only be allowed to have an intern if they can show that paying a worker a proper wage would put them under. They should also have to prove that they actually desperately need another worker to stay afloat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I watched a government funded Academy & highly well regarded state funded institute talk a 30,000 job down into being an internship . This was by an employee drawing a e120,000 a year government salary ; who having interviewed this person for a real job decided they could get away with doing it on this basis & if they wanted the job they could take it it leave it on that basis.

O - did I mention that the money saved is allocated to annual conference travel for this same e120,000 person?

Disgusting .

I watched a government funded Academy & highly well regarded state funded institute talk a 30,000 job down into being an internship . This was by an employee drawing a e120,000 a year government salary ; who having interviewed this person for a real job decided they could get away with doing it on this basis & if they wanted the job they could take it it leave it on that basis.

O - did I mention that the money saved is allocated to annual conference travel for this same e120,000 person?

Disgusting .

I've been at meetings where the exact same thing has been discussed and implemented. People get bonuses for making it possible. To either find a way of bending the situation so you can take on a free intern instead of a properly paid worker, or make it possible to reduce the paid headcount in favor of free interns. They even have a name for it - internlizing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

No it doesn't. It means that people have to work part time jobs in addition to a stressful traineeship to earn as much as people get from jobbridge

Or live on handouts from their well-heeled parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Why aren't the newspapers naming and shaming company's like the ones above.

Think I might send a couple of emails informing them I will never spend any of my money with them.

Its slave labor just tarted up and given a fancy name.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Why aren't the newspapers naming and shaming company's like the ones above.

Think I might send a couple of emails informing them I will never spend any of my money with them.

Its slave labor just tarted up and given a fancy name.

In the emails don't forget to ask them how many interns they have. Probably one reading the emails.

In the emails don't forget to ask them how many interns they have. Probably one reading the emails.

And start with Newstalk, & the Sunday Business Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It looks like those champions of free enterprise have decided to throw a bone out there themselves ...

http://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Internship-Programme-7040825.aspx

I doubt that anyone will be surprised by the above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭SupaNova2

Surprised the minimum wage hasn't been mentioned, if it was scrapped I'm sure some employers would find it in their interest to pay people some sort of wage. Hiring interns and having to periodically replace them is hardly optimal, even if they don't have to pay a wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

schools using jobbridge teachers instead of paid teachers is a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

In America leaving college and going to a FREE internship is seeing as a great way to be seem attractive to an employer. You can show them that you can work 9-5. I seen an article by paul krugmann in the nytimes who says generally according to a survey done with 4,800 CVs. If a person had the best skills but were unemployed for more than 6 months. The person who was recently unemployed with the inferior skills got employed as they worked more recent

This is not America.

Tens of thousands of jobs are now being filled by unpaid labour. In my last organisation I know of 4 DIRECT jobs at 40-45k salaries that were stripped of their salaries and advertised as internships with the same level of postgraduate work experience required , no mentor or support and no hope of it being turned back into a paying job.

The forums here are littered with similar examples and stories. So long as there are qualified desperate people who have no outlet but to work for free because there are no laying jobs available ( & hey..) this will continue .

A tweet from the job"fair" in the button factory yesterday summed it up nicely - a startup " hired" 4 " interns" and would have taken more if they could have had office space for them. Well no doubt the " director" will get the profit from their efforts, but if all you can get after 5 years of work, paying for a degree and s masters is a work for free role with no job at the end if it & there are no restrictions on employers doing this then there's not much hope left.

Do you think your job is secure if someone will walk in & be desperate enough to do it for free? There is nothing stopping companies " restructuring" your job & taking in an intern with 10 years experience & the same qualifications . And there are 300,000 people on the dole . How many do you think would try your job for a year for free if they thought they might get to keep it after - I mean - they'll still be in the dole anyway - and they'd be grateful for half what you get.

It's a downward race & preys off the desperation of the unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

hfallada wrote: »
    In America leaving college and going to a FREE internship is seeing as a great way to be seem attractive to an employer. You can show them that you can work 9-5. I seen an article by paul krugmann in the nytimes who says generally according to a survey done with 4,800 CVs. If a person had the best skills but were unemployed for more than 6 months. The person who was recently unemployed with the inferior skills got employed as they worked more recent

Internships in the US are usually about six weeks long and during summer break in college. They are not for professionals.

And the Department of Labor is having a good look at them because they are essentially free labour.

Internships in the US are usually about six weeks long and during summer break in college. They are not for professionals.

And the Department of Labor is having a good look at them because they are essentially free labour.

internships in USA are all about gaining experience in the workplace - and are primarily aimed at college graduates seeking experience in the workplace - as professionals !!

here in Ireland the internship scheme has been and is currently being abused (and its less than a year old..i think) ...there are internships for online journalists, waitresses, waiters, B&B cleaning etc etc ... many of these jobs are not suitable for internships, but the government cannot get businesses to provide proper internships due to the lack of incentive for both the employer and employee.

In theory the idea of getting people out working for a little more than dole money is great but financially why would someone actively work for 40hours only to receive €50 (on top of the money they get regardless of whether they do anything or not in respect of jobseeking) .... its not financially worth the extra expenses associated with work (travel to and from, lunch, social nights etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There are some good internships mixed in with the bad ones (software development intern for example).

Surely noone applies for the useless ones? I agree they should not be allowed in the first place, but do people actually take them?

Also, has anyone lodged an official complaint about the "shelf stacking assistant" ones? What was the response?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The right to be paid a fair days wage for a fair days work is a fundamental human right.

While I am sure that there are some people getting real benefits from the scheme, the evidence of it being abused makes me ill.

Advertisement