Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adventure race series

Options
  • 06-04-2013 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭

I did a couple of the adventure races last year, WAR and Gealforce and was thinking of doing a few more this year and entering the National adventure race series.
    But I see the the list of this years events doesn't include any of the WARs, I thought they were well run but does anybody know why they're not included this year?
    Also how do you enter the race series or do your results from each individual event automatically get entered in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Waylander79

Good question, the WAR events were in the list a couple of weeks ago. Anyone know why they're not included now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Good question, the WAR events were in the list a couple of weeks ago. Anyone know why they're not included now?

Just noticed that they are listed as being included on Irish triathlon but no mention of them on Msai site, strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

jvan wrote: »
    Just noticed that they are listed as being included on Irish triathlon but no mention of them on Msai site, strange!

Alot of the events that are listed on the Irish Triathlon site (multisport, duathlon and triathlon) do not appear on any of the national governing bodies websites. The NGBs do not sanction those events, they are run by Irish Triathlon. There are many good reasons why they are not sanctioned, different ones depending on the side that you talk too. Discussion on those events and the reasons why they are not sanctioned does not happen here. These events are on a "no fly list" and discussion is not allowed. Reason being posters who criticised the events (safety, fairness and/or organisation) were harassed and threatened, up to and included late night phone calls. In the absence of unrestricted discussion the best thing for posters was to not allow any.

A related thread - shows how far it can go http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056912641

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just to follow up on Tunney's post....

Just as Irish Triathlon isn't a governing body, but rather a commercial race organiser, the same also applies to MSAI. There is no national governing body for Multisports races (which are what the races in the "Adventure Race" series are) or for actual adventure races themselves. There are no international governing bodies for either of these sports either, although there is a World Championship of Adventure Racing, along with a series of qualifying races, which have an organisation to oversee them, along with a new world ranking system (http://www.arworldseries.com/). There is also one big (commercial) race in New Zealand (The Coast to Coast) which has declared itself to be the world championship of Multisports Races. In terms of prestige and quality of the field it attracts it probably deserves the title, even if it is self-declared!

MSAI is a commercial race organiser which set up the concept of the series themselves and does all the administration. Your results will automatically be counted. Obviously MSAI can decide off their own bat which races to include in the series as they are doing all the work, presumably with the enthusiastic co-operation of the other races organisers (since everyone gains).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thanks for the replies, I'm a bit clearer on it now. I think I'll just enter the ones I was planing on doing and see what happens. I'm wasn't trying to come in the top 10 or anything it was just for my own personal achievements

• Advertisement
Advertisement