Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do some people equate sunshine with warm weather?

• 06-04-2013 11:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24

At 11 o'clock this morning, the temperature in Dublin was recorded at 5 degrees Celsius. That is in no way warm by any standards and yet I noticed there are people walking around in t shirts and shorts. The only conclusion I can come to is that some Irish people associate the sun with warm weather through exposure to foreign media. What else could explain this ridiculous phenomenon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

The only conclusion I can come to is that some Irish people associate the sun with warm weather through exposure to foreign media.

Or exposure to science?

The sun being what heats the planet and all that....

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

I really hope you aren't a professor, OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

There are rumours that there is a link (somehow) between the Sun and warm weather, perhaps the foreign media are on to something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I think it's a natural conclusion to associate the sun with warm weather though I know what you mean some people appear in T shirts at the the first glimmer of sunshine,don't know where the foreign media comes in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I agree with ye OP if I stay around the folks today I'd bet my life I'd see topless morons with bags of cans and skanks wearing little or nothing and everyone is having great fun thinking it Miami.

They'll all be dying of a cold next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

At 11 o'clock this morning, the temperature in Dublin was recorded at 5 degrees Celsius. That is in no way warm by any standards and yet I noticed there are people walking around in t shirts and shorts. The only conclusion I can come to is that some Irish people associate the sun with warm weather through exposure to foreign media. What else could explain this ridiculous phenomenon?

Mind Control.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At this time of year shade and sun temps are vastly different, if there is no wind (big if) its grand in the sun

Example right now at Roscrea

Sun 18.2°C
    Shade 5.1°C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

At 11 o'clock this morning, the temperature in Dublin was recorded at 5 degrees Celsius. That is in no way warm by any standards and yet I noticed there are people walking around in t shirts and shorts. The only conclusion I can come to is that some Irish people associate the sun with warm weather

You're right, it's usually warmest at night when there's no sunlight. Just look at the north pole during its six months of night - it's the warmest place on the planet. In other news, your professorship has just been revoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

They're not as bad as the people that equate snow with cold weather. Morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You're doing Professor X a disservice OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

beacause vitamin D is good from them ,
    and maybe they should be the professors , not you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

We are in an Easterly feed of cold air.

Stand in the sun in a black jacket, then you'll feel like its 28c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know of a guy who was at the beach yesterday in the NW - I sh*t you not.

And not out to walk the dog or anything. Proper towel, t-shirt, shorts, lying catching rays melarkey.

They could be all Icelandic and this is balmy weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It just looks that way to the lucky few in beer garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Because photons from the sun hit electrons in objects on earth causing them to temporarily rise to a higher energy level. These electrons fall back to their original atomic orbit and this process repeated any times cause objects to heat up. Sunshine does cause an elevation in heat so stick it out sunshine ;-) xxx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Professor Xavier

You're right, it's usually warmest at night when there's no sunlight. Just look at the north pole during its six months of night - it's the warmest place on the planet. In other news, your professorship has just been revoked.

So you're saying that it can't be both sunny and cold at the same time?

It ain't half bad in the Wexford area in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah its like in those Nordic countries where you get clear blue skies and dazzling sunlight. Next thing you know they are all going around in shorts!*

*They arent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I agree with ye OP if I stay around the folks today I'd bet my life I'd see topless morons with bags of cans and skanks wearing little or nothing and everyone is having great fun thinking it Miami.

They'll all be dying of a cold next week.

1) People in Spain wear very little in the Summer - are they skanks for doing so? :confused: If those people don't feel the cold, what's the problem? Making the most out of the bit of good weather in Ireland sounds like a very good plan to me.

2) There is no scientific evidence to prove that wearing less clothes gives you a cold. Old wives tale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Desperation.

The weather is horrendous in this country in this country - -1 and snow in late March for example - you can't blame for people for wanting to get the most of out of the weather.

We spend so much time in the cold and the rain who can blame them.

Also, maybe they checked the forecast and saw the weather maybe get a little warmer later in the day.

Why do some people care that someone wants to wear a t-shirt in 7 degree (where I am) weather would be a better question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Some people don't feel the cold! Shorts are much more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

OP, why don't you stop worrying about things like this and go outside and see for yourself. Life is short.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why do some people equate sunshine with warm weather?

Direct sunlight can be up to 1Kw/m2. That's the same as a one bar heater.

Soil/Forest/tarmac reflect ~ up to 20% of sunlight the rest is turned into heat (photosynthesis is only 1% efficient)

The tops of clouds are white and reflect up to 80% of sunlight

Lookup Daisyworld

One of life's little pleasure is when cycling on a cool but sunny September day and finding some isolated tarmac off the road and then lying down on it like a lizard getting warmed from both sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

theres no connection between being cold and catching a cold. (well according to Q.I. )

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Even on a cool day it can feel a lot warmer in direct sunlight. Especially in spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

beautifully pleasant and warm here in arklow today

Advertisement