Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax returns 2013

Options
  • 06-04-2013 12:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36

Hi,

I was living in Vancouver last year and hope to go back out again this year and have got visa approved. My one worry is my taxes. My former employer has told me my forms have been sent to me but I have not received them. Does anyone know if I will have trouble getting into Toronto based on this, if I am not able to get it sorted by April 30th?

Cheers,

Sarah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

SarahBK wrote: »
    Hi,

I was living in Vancouver last year and hope to go back out again this year and have got visa approved. My one worry is my taxes. My former employer has told me my forms have been sent to me but I have not received them. Does anyone know if I will have trouble getting into Toronto based on this, if I am not able to get it sorted by April 30th?

Cheers,

Sarah

You can file up to 3 years in arears so no problem there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 SarahBK

Cool thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Any advice on filing tax returns online? Is it possible to do it yourself or do you have to pay for it?

AFAIK you can only post online if you've already submitted a T1 in a previous year

Thanks for fast reply! Last year was my first time in Canada so looks like it's the accountant route so?

• Advertisement

Go to H&R Block or Money Mart and it'll cost you about $50

Sorted it out there! Thanks for the advice, http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/t1gtrdy/menu-eng.html This website is very helpful, step by step guide. Used Studiotax free software to generate a T1 form which I have to post in the first time but can do online next time. Fingers crossed that works because that seemed very easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If youve got rsp contributions or worked for only a part of the year, or are living with someone id recommend using a tax company like h&r block....they got me nearly 5grand back last yr and 1500 this, whereas when i did the online tax calculator i was getting nowhere near that. Costs a bit more but worth it if theres a lot of factors involved and like me, you havent a clue about tax

retalivity wrote: »
    If youve got rsp contributions or worked for only a part of the year, or are living with someone id recommend using a tax company like h&r block....they got me nearly 5grand back last yr and 1500 this, whereas when i did the online tax calculator i was getting nowhere near that. Costs a bit more but worth it if theres a lot of factors involved and like me, you havent a clue about tax

Best advice ever! I was working it out at 800 dollar refund...paid $71 to H&R block accountants and they're getting me a 2700 dollar refund! If you live anywhere near Ottawa I'll buy you at least one pint!

well if you're ever in London ON...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Those returns are excellent! Can ye tell me what factors made it so high?

I see that relativity mentions the co-habiting, the working for only part of the year and the rsp. Are these the main things that got ye the high rebates?

Also, how was the return split between federal and provincial?

I got about $700 from each last year, while this year it looks like $200 from QC and $450 from federal.

I used ufile to work out the numbers and then made a postal return.

Tbh I'm not too sure how they did it at H&R block but alot of my refund was down to working only part of the year. I have to say though, I will never ever do my own taxes after that. For $71 they saved me around $2000. That covers the cost of getting them to do my returns for the next 28 years! They know all the loop-holes, they're the experts, I'm glad I didn't end up doing it myself!

if you are earning 50k and only work 6 months, you still pay the 50k "band" of tax even though you only earned 25k.
    If you only earned 25k you are liable for little or no tax, and should be refunded the difference, as well as being able to claim lots of benefits (in ON, trillium, gst/hst benefit, etc).
    Coupled with living with someone who is studying, we were able to share our tax credits to claim even more back

I'm going to tell myself that I got the max that I could get! My situation is quite simple anyway so there isn't really much room for maneuver. Plus I'm in QC, highest tax in the land! Thanks for the info!

I'm going to tell myself that I got the max that I could get! My situation is quite simple anyway so there isn't really much room for maneuver. Plus I'm in QC, highest tax in the land! Thanks for the info!

I saw some information in H&R block while I was there. Apparently they can review your last 2-3 years of tax returns/refunds for you and see if you were entitled to more. Something to look at next year for you maybe?

Thanks; I think I will do that next year.

Advertisement