Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1kg of fillet steak..... give me inspiration please

Options
  • 06-04-2013 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Ok folks.

As per title. I hage a kilo of fillet steak., unsliced atm am having the parents over for dinner later, my idea was:

Cut the steak into inch and half pieces, fried 3mins each side of a cast iron skillet
    Champ (mashed potatoes with hot milk and scallions mixed in)
    Sautéed onion garlic and mushrooms (in a separate pan)
    Peppered sauce.

Only thing I currently have is the meat, so open to all and any suggestions before I go shopping.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Beef Wellington FTW

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Id cut it into steaks rather than dicing. You risk overcooking it. If you do dice, I'd probably only give it a minute or two at an absolute maximum. Or else, beef Wellington or dice it and make a beef stroganoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Faith wrote: »
    Id cut it into steaks rather than dicing. You risk overcooking it. If you do dice, I'd probably only give it a minute or two at an absolute maximum. Or else, beef Wellington or dice it and make a beef stroganoff.

Sorry. Wasn't clear in the op.

Yeah I'm intending to cut into inch and a half steaks( maybe two inch thick max.)

Cast iron pan three mins each side.

Do the sides and veg sound ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Wrap it in panchetta and roast it. Side veg sounds great

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

After cooking and resting the steak I'd lob a wedge of blue cheese on it and grill it until the cheese starts to melt then serve it with slowly cooked balsamic red onions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

SamHall wrote: »
    Sorry. Wasn't clear in the op.

Yeah I'm intending to cut into inch and a half steaks( maybe two inch thick max.)

Cast iron pan three mins each side.

Do the sides and veg sound ok?

Sounds great to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Wellington.

Otherwise, just do whatever you'd normally do with pre-cut steaks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Easy option: Roast it and serve it with champ, veggies and gravy.

salt, pepper and sea on all sides (there are more than 2!) put it in a roasting tray, into a good hot oven (220c) for 20minutes (gives medium rare, add five for medium, 10 for medium-well or 15 for well), take out, rest for ten minutes, deglaze the tray with stock/red wine, reduce, add a knob of butter or if you want it more thickened add a bit of beurre manie, slice the beef and serve with the gravy.

You could cook yorkshire puddings in the oven at the same time as the beef if you wanna be fancy.

Slightly less easy option, wellington. Just use shop bought all butter puff pastry. For the beef brush with oil and pop it in the oven at 220c for 15 minutes for medium-rare(20 for medium, 25 med well, 30 well done) rest it for 15 minutes and once it's rested, chill it for 20mins in the fridge. in the tray/pan you roasted the beef in, add 50ml of oil, a good know of butter and add in 250gram of mushrooms sliced and some fresh thyme and rosemary at a medium heat, cook until softened and then season with salt and pepper and and 100ml of white wine and reduce untill the wine is absorbed into the mushrooms and then put aside or chill in the fridge.

Take your two sheets of all butter puff, cut them to about 20 x 30cm for the bottom and 30 x 40cm pieces for the top (basically, top sheet has to be about 10cm longer and wider than the bottom sheet).

Put the smaller sheet onto a nonstick baking tray/matt/whatever, spread about 1/3rd of your mushroom mix on the bottom of it (only as long and wide as the fillet!), lay your chilled fillet ontop, spread the rest of your mixture over all of the fillet, brush the edges the bottom piece of pastry with egg wash then lay the top sheet of pastry over everything and carefully, press down around the edges with a fork to make a seal, or tuck them like you would a pie, whatever you fancy, egg wash all over the top of the pastry and bang it in to the over at 200c for 20 minutes untill the pastry is golden and crispy, this will give you medium-rare, add 5 for med, 10 for med-well or 15 for welldone).

Serve it, again, with gravy, champ and veggies.

edit: those heats are for w conventional oven. knock 20c off for a fan oven.

Advertisement