Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powering a small cabin

Options
  • 06-04-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Hoping somone might have a few suggestions here. I have a small shipping container in a field that has been wired for electricity and has an external commando plug for the electricity to be fed into. I would like to be able to use a battery to power this. Is this possible or would I need a bank of batteries or would I be stuck using a generator?

MK-Commando-Socket_large.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mordeith wrote: »
    I would like to be able to use a battery to power this. Is this possible or would I need a bank of batteries or would I be stuck using a generator?

Highly unlikely that batteries would suit your application.

What size is the load?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

2011 wrote: »
    Highly unlikely that batteries would suit your application.

What size is the load?

There's a small water heater, a single light and double socket. would prob have mini fridge plugged in to this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mordeith wrote: »
    There's a small water heater, a single light and double socket. would prob have mini fridge plugged in to this.

A generator would be best IMHO, unless you are prepared to make a large investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

First thing to ask is what are the individual and total loads will you be using and what is the maximum peak load. Then you can make an informed decision. So check the wattage of each load and then establish how long they will be working for so you have an idea of the demand. Are you spending all day every day in there or just a few hours. Running a generator 24/7 to keep a fridge running is complete madness! If you are going to turn the fridge off and only use a tiny amount of hot water the options start to look good. It would be a good exercise in how to use less energy and cut your overall usage. Then you can make an informed decision on what is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

freddyuk wrote: »
    First thing to ask is what are the individual and total loads will you be using and what is the maximum peak load. Then you can make an informed decision. So check the wattage of each load and then establish how long they will be working for so you have an idea of the demand. Are you spending all day every day in there or just a few hours. Running a generator 24/7 to keep a fridge running is complete madness! If you are going to turn the fridge off and only use a tiny amount of hot water the options start to look good. It would be a good exercise in how to use less energy and cut your overall usage. Then you can make an informed decision on what is the best option.

It would only be for a few hours every now and then. maybe the very odd overnight stay. I suppose I should figure out the energy requirements first, as you suggest. I would be trying to avoid a generator if at all possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement