Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uteach and Engage

Options
  • 06-04-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be back in Ireland around the end of June and I need to find a primary job and do my nqt year. I want to live in a city and the liklihood of getting a job in ireland will be pretty slim on top of trying to pay rent and what not..

So I've wided my search to the UK. I would like to go back to the south west but not many jobs here either. During my search I found 2 agencies in ireland that find employment and housing for teachers in the south east of England!

Just wondering does anyone have any experience of these : uteach and engage. There may be others too.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Hi,

I have some experience with Uteach. They placed me in a school last summer ( June - July) for six weeks; they also flew me over to interview at a school in January. I haven't tried any other agency, so I can't compare them to any one else. Most of the jobs they send you are advertised on the likes of Tes.co.uk.

Hard to know if going through an agency is particularly worthwhile. They do reimburse flights if you fly to interview.

There is an agency that deal specifically with the Kent area if that's where you are looking to relocate. Teach in Kent I think they're called?

I'm also looking at moving again after a not - so - successful work year here. This time I think I'll do the donkey work myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

Where are you looking to go? I'm only in the early stages of looking but I'm not sure what I'd do when I come I come home. I don't just want to woek in a local school here, I'm looking for a good place to live and work with lots of things to do. .

Good to know people in the same situation. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Hi all,

I'll be back in Ireland around the end of June and I need to find a primary job and do my nqt year. I want to live in a city and the liklihood of getting a job in ireland will be pretty slim on top of trying to pay rent and what not..

So I've wided my search to the UK. I would like to go back to the south west but not many jobs here either. During my search I found 2 agencies in ireland that find employment and housing for teachers in the south east of England!

Just wondering does anyone have any experience of these : uteach and engage. There may be others too.

Cheers

I got a job last year through Engage Education. They flew a group of us over to London for an interview day with a number of schools, and if it went well you got a call back. I would recommend them, as you will get to interview with a number of schools in one day.

I was lucky, as the school offered me a permanent contract, which meant I got a salary. You may end up on time sheets, which means you won't get paid for days off, holidays etc.

Any more questions, just ask!

Are you still over there now mate? Where are or were you and how are you liking it?
    Dave0301 wrote: »
    I got a job last year through Engage Education. They flew a group of us over to London for an interview day with a number of schools, and if it went well you got a call back. I would recommend them, as you will get to interview with a number of schools in one day.

I was lucky, as the school offered me a permanent contract, which meant I got a salary. You may end up on time sheets, which means you won't get paid for days off, holidays etc.

Any more questions, just ask!

Are you still over there now mate? Where are or were you and how are you liking it?

Yep, still here and will be for the foreseeable future. I like it over here, I would love to go home, but I am on full hours here with a permanent job.

I am in Surrey, which is lovely, and nicely located for access to London. Can be in the center in 30 mins. In a really great school too, so no complaints there!

• Advertisement

Did you head over by yourself? How did you manage to get a house or things like that? And does there seem to be much demand fir teachers around there because there was no jobs around the south west area! If I'm annoying you with too many qs just say..
    Yep, still here and will be for the foreseeable future. I like it over here, I would love to go home, but I am on full hours here with a permanent job.

I am in Surrey, which is lovely, and nicely located for access to London. Can be in the center in 30 mins. In a really great school too, so no complaints there!

Did you head over by yourself? How did you manage to get a house or things like that? And does there seem to be much demand fir teachers around there because there was no jobs around the south west area! If I'm annoying you with too many qs just say..

I got the job through Engage, so I didn't look at what schools and where myself. There are a lot of jobs on TES, not too sure about Primary jobs however. You can apply to jobs on TES, but this can be time consuming.

I went over myself after I was offered the job. The school put me in touch with other teachers who were looking for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Where are you looking to go? I'm only in the early stages of looking but I'm not sure what I'd do when I come I come home. I don't just want to woek in a local school here, I'm looking for a good place to live and work with lots of things to do. .

Good to know people in the same situation. .

I'd like to work in Glasgow due to having friends there and it being easy to fly home from regularly.

Also having a look into international schools for some adventure! I would love to be able to stay here though. So not sure what I'm at yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 feloking

I got the job through Engage, so I didn't look at what schools and where myself. There are a lot of jobs on TES, not too sure about Primary jobs however. You can apply to jobs on TES, but this can be time consuming.

I went over myself after I was offered the job. The school put me in touch with other teachers who were looking for accommodation.

Dave was speaking with engage and more or less have a job in a school but i'm on engage's books what kind of salary would you expect to get from them in a secondary school,

feloking wrote: »
    Dave was speaking with engage and more or less have a job in a school but i'm on engage's books what kind of salary would you expect to get from them in a secondary school,

Hey, was never on time sheets myself, so not really sure. Maybe about £450 a week.

Could be more depending on the location. A lot of factors to consider, also Engage will want some of it as well.

Remember, you will only get paid for your actual teaching hours. You won't get paid for holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 mel84

better off trying to get a permanent position where you are paid for your mid terms and holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement