Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying a DVD

Options
  • 06-04-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys,

Ok, I recently got given a DVD that had been transferred from video to DVD. It's sentimental material so a load of people want a copy. However, this is proving a lot more difficult than I thought.

The DVD works fine when you put it directly into a DVD player, or my laptop, a MacBook Pro, it opens straight away with iDVD. But when I put it into the PC at work, it wasn't recognised in Windows, Real Player or Quicktime. BUT, when I went into the DVD in My Computer, it showed up as a folder called Video_TS. Inside this folder are six files, all ending in .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP - two of each. Five of them are relatively small files, ranging from 12-64KB but the last .VOB is just over 800KB, and when I click that, it opens on PC when I manually select Windows.

Now, I tried copying the files to my harddrive and then putting those on the DVD and it copied, but when I ejected and re-inserted, it wouldn't recognise it. Same with the DVD player, wouldn't play it. But the original works fine.

Has anyone ideas on how or if this is possible? Or if I take it to a professional, can they do it?

Any help appreciated! And thanks for reading!

Dee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You will probably need some DVD playing software for your work PC - WinDVD is a commercial one.

With the Mac things are a bit easier as everything you need is already built in to the OS. Try this method and see how you get on. I know it's from 2007 and mentions Tiger but the process is the same.

Here's a better guide with pictures :)

Ken

Advertisement