Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying a DVD

Options
  • 06-04-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys, I've also posted this in HE DIY but I said I'd post here too! So sorry if you're reading it again!

Ok, I recently got given a DVD that had been transferred from video to DVD. It's sentimental material so a load of people want a copy. However, this is proving a lot more difficult than I thought.

The DVD works fine when you put it directly into a DVD player, or my laptop, a MacBook Pro, it opens straight away with iDVD. But when I put it into the PC at work, it wasn't recognised in Windows, Real Player or Quicktime. BUT, when I went into the DVD in My Computer, it showed up as a folder called Video_TS. Inside this folder are six files, all ending in .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP - two of each. Five of them are relatively small files, ranging from 12-64KB but the last .VOB is just over 800KB, and when I click that, it opens on PC when I manually select Windows.

Now, I tried copying the files to my harddrive and then putting those on the DVD and it copied, but when I ejected and re-inserted, it wouldn't recognise it. Same with the DVD player, wouldn't play it. But the original works fine.

Has anyone ideas on how or if this is possible? Or if I take it to a professional, can they do it?

Any help appreciated! And thanks for reading!

Dee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

No DVD playing software on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You need to install codecs on the work PC, or play it with something like VLC Portable if you can't install software

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dmckenna50

That's great guys, thanks! Can I copy it using the VLC software too? That's the main objective!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You have two issues,

The work PC has no video playing software installed (check that it is ok under the company policies before even thinking about installing anything!)

You need to use duplicating software to copy your DVD for playing on other DVDs etc.

Not sure what is available for Mac, but I have used DVD shrink on a PC
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

There are a lot of others both free and paid available.

• Advertisement

Thank you brightspark! I think I'm getting somewhere now! The DVD has opened in both the VLC and the DVD Shrink, but I don't know what the DVD shrink is meant to do? I'm sorry, I thought I was alright with this kind of stuff but I'm lost now! Because the video is 786 MB, I shrink it in DVD shrink (I see where they got the name) and can I also copy it there? THANKS!

dmckenna50 wrote: »
    Thank you brightspark! I think I'm getting somewhere now! The DVD has opened in both the VLC and the DVD Shrink, but I don't know what the DVD shrink is meant to do? I'm sorry, I thought I was alright with this kind of stuff but I'm lost now! Because the video is 786 MB, I shrink it in DVD shrink (I see where they got the name) and can I also copy it there? THANKS!

DVD Shrink is only necessary if you want to convert a dual layer DVD (DVD9) to a single layer DVD (DVD5). DVD Shrink will also break the encryption, if encrypted allowing you to do this, DVDFab will copy the DVD without shrinking it, or Handbreak can convert the ripped content into a single avi, mkv etc. file

Nick

The shrink part of DVD shrink is mainly for use with dual layer DVDs, probably not an issue in your case.

It's a little while since I last used it, but there should be a button called "back up", you can then create an ISO file, which should be saved on your hard drive.

Then burn that ISO onto as many DVDs as required.

Yes DVD fab is probably a better program, couldn't remember it's name earlier.

OK, I'll try DVD fab! Stand by!

Sorry, which one do I use? Is it the last one? http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

• Advertisement

Sorry, which one do I use? Is it the last one? http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

DVDFab HD Decrypter

Nick

Nope, hasn't worked with that either.

First. I tried to copy straight to the disc, but it wouldn't let me, so I copied to the desktop, and it opens fine there.

So again, tried the blank disc, wouldn't allow me to, so I set up a folder on the disc, and copied it there. Then it copied fine allegedly. So I ejected the DVD and put it in my laptop and it told me I had inserted a blank disc.

Do you think if I tried the CLONE option, that might work any better?

I think I might just ask a professional. :/

Nope, hasn't worked with that either.

First. I tried to copy straight to the disc, but it wouldn't let me, so I copied to the desktop, and it opens fine there.

So again, tried the blank disc, wouldn't allow me to, so I set up a folder on the disc, and copied it there. Then it copied fine allegedly. So I ejected the DVD and put it in my laptop and it told me I had inserted a blank disc.

Do you think if I tried the CLONE option, that might work any better?

I think I might just ask a professional. :/

What kind of DVD is it? A commercial one or one a photographer or someone produced for you? If it's the later it is probably not protected, so the disc copy function in CDBurnerXP Pro should work for you. If the disc isn't burning correctly it could be your DVD drive is the issue, I have noticed plenty of Macs have rubbish DVD Burners installed, so this is possibly the issue

Nick

I don't know what type it is! You see, the woman that gave it to me, took the video to a professional who transferred it onto DVD for her and then put a fancy white label on it with a label, so all the details are covered!

I'm actually on the work one so I'm using a PC! I just put it into the Mac to see if it'll play for me.

OK so, I'll try this CD Burner one and see if it works! If I thought copying a DVD would have been so hard, I wouldn't have bothered!

Hmm, this one is saying I have to download a new framework for it to work so I think I'll leave it.

I'll take it to the professional I'd say.

Thanks a million for everyone's help, especially yourself Nick, really appreciate it!

just a quick question...you aren't trying to do it with dvd-rw? (rewritables?)

ImgBurn will do it also, and doesn't require the .net framework. Just "Create an Image from Disc" (while the DVD you want to copy is in the tray), save the image to your desktop. Then reomve the DVD, put in a blank DVD+/-R disc (for relyability I would advise against rewritables) and "Write Image to Disc"->Browse to the DVD image on the desktop, start the burning procedure

Nick

Advertisement