Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to transfer Cash sterling to foreign bank?

Options
  • 06-04-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭

I have some cash (notes) in sterling.
    What are my options to transfer it to foreign bank account in sterling (within EU) without a need for currency conversion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

CiniO wrote: »
    I have some cash (notes) in sterling.
    What are my options to transfer it to foreign bank account in sterling (within EU) without a need for currency conversion?

Practically none unless it's a significant amount. Does the GBP account already exist? If not, it may not be that easy to set it up. The payment will not be a SEPA payment and thus will attract fees of (I would estimate) EUR20 at least. Next, you need to get it into the banking system to send it electronically. For that you would need a GBP account already or convert it into EURO and lodge it then do a transfer in GBP meaning a second conversion. You might be able to buy aGBP draft off an Irish bank and send it but there'll be charge for the draft, a delay in it being cashed and possibly a further charge to cash it. Alternatively, pop up to your NI bank and sort it out directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Marcusm wrote: »
    Practically none unless it's a significant amount.
    Amount is definitely not significant. We are talking of below 1000 pounds.
    Does the GBP account already exist? If not, it may not be that easy to set it up. The payment will not be a SEPA payment and thus will attract fees of (I would estimate) EUR20 at least. Next, you need to get it into the banking system to send it electronically. For that you would need a GBP account already or convert it into EURO and lodge it then do a transfer in GBP meaning a second conversion. You might be able to buy aGBP draft off an Irish bank and send it but there'll be charge for the draft, a delay in it being cashed and possibly a further charge to cash it. Alternatively, pop up to your NI bank and sort it out directly.

Ehh then it all doesn't calculate really.
    Account, while it's GBP account, is not in UK, but in other EU country.
    I was actually thinking about something like Western Union or similar, but it looks like it's not going to work.
    The easiest option will be to actually physically take the cash when I'm travelling there, and lodge it to the bank there.

By converting it to Euro in Ireland and then sending there to be converted to GBP again, I'm loosing a fair percentage on currency conversion, so it's not worth it.

Advertisement