Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 month old eating her hair

Options
  • 06-04-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    in recent weeks weve noticed our youngest is pulling strands of her hair out and eating them. We've tried to stop her doing it anytime we see her doing it, but today we have started to find long strands of it in her stool.. only a couple and even sum that had to be extracted from her when changing her nappy. Any advice on how we can stop her doing this or should we ask a doctor... I know its dangerous but I dont want to pay a doc to tell us to 'keep an eye on her and tell her to stop'...
    thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

HI all,
    in recent weeks weve noticed our youngest is pulling strands of her hair out and eating them. We've tried to stop her doing it anytime we see her doing it, but today we have started to find long strands of it in her stool.. only a couple and even sum that had to be extracted from her when changing her nappy. Any advice on how we can stop her doing this or should we ask a doctor... I know its dangerous but I dont want to pay a doc to tell us to 'keep an eye on her and tell her to stop'...
    thanks a million

How long is her hair?Could you try tying her hair up/clipping it back/putting on a hairband so it isnt as accessible?! Would she tolerate having a hat on?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

HI all,
    thanks a million

Hi ya,

Perhaps you could read up on an ICD known as trichotillomania it can start from a very young age. It is probably not that at all but just in case it is... there might be some tips to nip it in the bud.

To be honest, i would agree with the other poster and suggest a hat or a hair clip or something and using distraction techniques. Keep her little handies busy with other things. Don't make a big deal of it, she may not even realise she is doing it and may just grow out of the habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 embireland

maybe she likes the taste of the shampoo!

Advertisement