Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conor McGregor

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

He got pretty badly beaten so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Yeah but put up a hell of a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Diego has the heart of a true warrior. That fight is now in my top 5 most exciting fights ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Diego has the heart of a true warrior. That fight is now in my top 5 most exciting fights ever.

C'mon name the other 4 :pac:

Randy v Brock, was never so excited in the 5 seconds proceeding a bell
    Chuck v Tito 2 because Chuck was my hero and Tito was the classic bully and Chuck demolished him against the cage while we all laughed at Tito
    Silva Sonnen because it's the best late finish by anyone ever...ever
    and probably crocop losing to Fedor back in Pride... crocop was my fav fighter outside UFC I think I actually cried

I know ya weren't actually askin but the whole 'best fights' thing is a personal thing... there are so many great fights and wars and build ups

but for excitement and heroics I'd put that one last night right up there in the top 5 or 10 deffo.... with the cut and the blood and the stand and bang and the crowd shouting DIEGO DIEGO.... ****in hairs on your neck gladiator sh1t that is man... so fukin awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ah sh1te I wish I hadn't read that. I watched round 1 about An hour ago. Was just bout to tune in for the rest!!

Jesus half way through round 3 reminded me of Rocky 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

When Diego caught him with the upper cut i thought that was it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

A sanchez and McGregor fight would be a great rattle,hope it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

SRFC wrote: »
    A sanchez and McGregor fight would be a great rattle,hope it happens.

Not in his first fight back!!!!

yeah fuk it...why not...if he's healthy when he's back then he's healthy and Sanchez is a top 10 gatekeeper now.
    Conor said he wants a craic at 155 for his first fight...I assume for weight reasons and nothing else...well if he wants back in 6 months time at 155 and he's after the fast track to greatness like he always says he is then yeah Sanchez why not? It's a great scalp, a big name, especially after that fight on Sat.
    Conor is a name now as well... doesn't matter he's only 2 fights in. If he took Sanchez on and finished him with his striking which he very very conceivable, it would put him right back in the media spotlight and he could then focus on cutting down to 145 for a top 10/12 guy!

Sanchez is gona fall out the top 10 soon you can see it so why not take him while he's a credible name with hype off his last fight? and didn't conor slag him off? the hype would be good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

yeah fuk it...why not...if he's healthy when he's back then he's healthy and Sanchez is a top 10 gatekeeper now.
    Conor said he wants a craic at 155 for his first fight...I assume for weight reasons and nothing else...well if he wants back in 6 months time at 155 and he's after the fast track to greatness like he always says he is then yeah Sanchez why not? It's a great scalp, a big name, especially after that fight on Sat.
    Conor is a name now as well... doesn't matter he's only 2 fights in. If he took Sanchez on and finished him with his striking which he very very conceivable, it would put him right back in the media spotlight and he could then focus on cutting down to 145 for a top 10/12 guy!

Sanchez is gona fall out the top 10 soon you can see it so why not take him while he's a credible name with hype off his last fight? and didn't conor slag him off? the hype would be good!

I could see Conor winning but dunno about stopping him,he took big shots of melendez and didnt fold.

Sanchez does NOT throw laser perfect chin wobbling combos like Conor ; )

7 of Melendez last 10 fight went to Decision. He's there to war.

8 of Conor's last 10 he won with punches. Conor's there to get in, find an opening, bing bam boom finish pay me!

The attitudes of both guys would make for a great build up, a GREAT stare down and both would be considered a really good scalp for each other.

Conor hit a bump in the road and lost ground... he can bide his time, and spend the next year getting back to that media FIZZ that surrounded his debut... the type of FIZZ which gets you fights with top 10 guys right away or he can take on a name at 155 and risk it for a biscuit! no prizes for guessing which route he'll pick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

7 of Melendez last 10 fight went to Decision. He's there to war.

8 of Conor's last 10 he won with punches. Conor's there to get in, find an opening, bing bam boom finish pay me!
    Directly comparing the last 10 guys Melendez and Conor both fought is beyond ridiculous.

ai it is

still tho Connor v Diego would make sense to me

prefer him at 145 tho anway

• Advertisement

I don't see any reason for him to fight at 155. It's not a good move imo.
    I doubt he'll put on any weight during his layoff. So making 145 won't be harder for him when he comes back, so I don't think that there's a good reason to look for a fight with Diego.

I definitely think he could out strike Sanchez, grappling might be a different story. But I'd be very surprised if he finished him, Sanchez was in some wars in his time without getting finsihed. Even the massive shots he took verses BJ Penn didn't put him away - it was a cut that stopped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

He said he is considering fighting 155 as his first fight back. He said he feels like he'd be faster than lots of guys in that division. He also said that, although he might be faster, of course fighting at 155 has disadvantages too, so he'd weigh up the pros and cons etc.

Although really it's too early to tell at this stage. He'll be back training soon, full on training soon after that, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Gumbi wrote: »
    He said he is considering fighting 155 as his first fight back. He said he feels like he'd be faster than lots of guys in that division. He also said that, although he might be faster, of course fighting at 155 has disadvantages too, so he'd weigh up the pros and cons etc.

Although really it's too early to tell at this stage. He'll be back training soon, full on training soon after that, right?

Doubtful, i'd say he won't be hitting a mat till the New Year

scudzilla wrote: »
    Doubtful, i'd say he won't be hitting a mat till the New Year

By soon I meant month, which isn't far off New Year really. Point taken though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I've seen it reported that Shelby has little to no interest of seeing Conor fight at 155.

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    By soon I meant month, which isn't far off New Year really. Point taken though.
    It's been 2 months, full training is probably another 5 or 6 months away.

This was the timeline in posted at the end of august
    Going ahead with surgery. Boxing again in 3 months, Kicking in 4, Grappling in 5, Wrestling-6, Sparring-7, Fighting-9. See you in May 2014!!
    So even by that hugely optimistic timeline, its mid next year before he is back training fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Xlami wrote: »
    I've seen it reported that Shelby has little to no interest of seeing Conor fight at 155.

Especially as it not him that makes the 155 fights

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Be careful what you ask for!

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/392943459793108992

I think if Conor could stuff the takedown then he could be the first to properly stop Diego...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

I dunno if Diego could take another beating like the one Conor would give him

He is already punch drunk at 31

Why do people want this fight? Conor is on a good path at the moment in the featherweight division, why bother moving up..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think this would be a bad fight for Connor, The nightmare was fighting at WW not to long ago ,Ye's hes lost more than he's won recently but the guys he has fought are the best in the world , Koscheck, Fitch, Bj Penn, Menelendez, Elleberger , not to mention beatin Diaz and Kappman, Connor hasn't fought anyone near the level of them guys he would out grapple Connor, Its to soon for Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah, people are letting the fact he got beat up last time out cloud their judgement. He had been out for a good while and his first fight back was against the #2 guy in the world, a guy who most recently lost a razor thin split decision to become Champion of the World!

Diego is tough as nails. I'd love to see this fight if it happened at 145.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah, people are letting the fact he got beat up last time out cloud their judgement. He had been out for a good while and his first fight back was against the #2 guy in the world, a guy who most recently lost a razor thin split decision to become Champion of the World!

Diego is tough as nails. I'd love to see this fight if it happened at 145.

That's never going to happen. He missed weight in his outing with Gomi at LW. I'd imagine the extra 10lbs would be killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah very true! But I wouldn't be looking forward to this fight at 155 that's for sure simply because I think Conor should be staying where he is! His eagerness to fight in 2 weight classes has a touch of the Brandon Vera's about it!

That's never going to happen. He missed weight in his outing with Gomi at LW. I'd imagine the extra 10lbs would be killer.
    If he was to move to 145 he wouldn't be attempting to cut from current weight.

That's sad, it's a bizarre suggestion, I can't see him even thinking about 145 - he's seems to think he belongs at 155.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    If he was to move to 145 he wouldn't be attempting to cut from current weight.

That's sad, it's a bizarre suggestion, I can't see him even thinking about 145 - he's seems to think he belongs at 155.

Possibly crossed lines in how my post came across but I meant that the additional cut of those 10lbs would be cruel. He obviously had difficulty in the past cutting to 155 so I meant to get those extra 10lbs off would be obviously worse.

Even re-reading the above I don't know if that made sense but it did in my head.

Either way - that fight at 145 is never going to happen and at 155 I think Conor loses.

Why do people want this fight? Conor is on a good path at the moment in the featherweight division, why bother moving up..?

It seems to be that the person who wants this fight is Conor since he is the one doing the calling out. He must believe that the risk is worth the reward.

Diego definitely has the grappling advantage while Conor certainly has the striking advantage. The way Diego was standing square with his feet in his last fight and swinging punches from his arms might look good to fans who want an all out brawl, but Conor would pick him apart on the feet with his far superior head and foot movement...

Its grappler vs striker, as I said they both have clear advantages in certain areas. I want the fight to happen because I'm a fan of fights and I think this would be a very very intriguing match up. Not to mention the build up/ stare down:)

Possibly crossed lines in how my post came across but I meant that the additional cut of those 10lbs would be cruel. He obviously had difficulty in the past cutting to 155 so I meant to get those extra 10lbs off would be obviously worse.
    That's what I thought you meant. Getting to fight weight and cutting for weigh ins are two different things.

For the Gomi fight he was probably cutting from 170+.
    If he was fighting at FW he'd need to be closer to 160 before cutting to 145. There wouldn't be 10 lbs more to cut.

I can't see him doing it, but if he wanted to, I think he could.

Mellor wrote: »
    For the Gomi fight he was probably cutting from 170+.
    If he was fighting at FW he'd need to be closer to 160 before cutting to 145. There wouldn't be 10 lbs more to cut.

Ah right. I guess my understanding of weight cuts is a little off then.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Is it just me or does Conor seem to have come slightly unglued since the injury?
    He was a PR dream before it, but it seems to be going to his head just a bit recently, which is unfortunate if true.

It does seem slightly that way imo, chasing witty one liners and just general rambling without much substance. Needs to finish his trail of thought more than just saying "ah **** it..."

Having said that he has been through a lot recently, and he is probably going insane not being to train the way he usually does. Plus he must be shattered from all the travelling lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

He reminds me of the likes of Lee Sharpe and Ryan Giggs who both played for Man United.

Immensly talented but had the potential to go flying off the rails if the fame, money and attention get to them.

Giggs stayed on the straight and narrow (apart from shagging his sister in law) but Sharpe went a bit party crazy and ended up wasting his potential.

I hope Conor goes the way of Giggs (minus the adultery).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

In fairness to Sharpe although he did enjoy the high life, it was injuries that ruined him,

• Advertisement

lol love it

but I reckon Conor is breaking his own unique ground - a natural unscripted totally unapologetic take it or leave attitude. Rubs some the wrong way, some the right, who gives a sh1t he's not hurtin anyone (outside the cage) he's just bein himself and he knows he has to back his mouth up in the octagon by exciting the fans so that's what I expect him to do in his first fight back in June or whenever.

Given his first fight was in the summer he could conceivably be 3-0 by the same day next summer INCLUDING a massive layoff with a knee injury... and that's kinda deadly!

Is it just me or does Conor seem to have come slightly unglued since the injury?
    He was a PR dream before it, but it seems to be going to his head just a bit recently, which is unfortunate if true.

Totally agree. Everything now is fcuk this and motherfcukin that.
    Seems totally different to his first UFC interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Think my head is stuck with a permanent frown from cringing for 25 mins watching that. Was he drunk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Gonna have to disagree with you here. I think some people haven't been following Conor long enough (not talking about you Jimmy) or else just forget he's always been like this for as long as I can remember.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=182209508573590&id=112090072144502

That link is to an interview with him for MMA junkie before he fought Dave Hill and maybe some people will say I'm wrong but I don't see much difference in his attitude then compared to now.

Feenix wrote: »
    Think my head is stuck with a permanent frown from cringing for 25 mins watching that. Was he drunk?

Seems the same as ever to me. He is getting better with the media bit by bit though, learning as he goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Anyone find it a bit classless that he keeps talking crap on the cage warriors champions that replaced him? In that intreview he called Jim Alers "rubbish" and said that he wants his belts back because everyone knows he's the true champ.

He's the one that decided to vacate the belts and sign with the UFC. If he wanted to stay champ of cage warriors he shouldn't have signed with the UFC, simple as. No need to cheapen their achievements, let them enjoy their success. I don't know if he has any previous history with the fighters but it seems very low to me.

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Anyone find it a bit classless that he keeps talking crap on the cage warriors champions that replaced him? In that intreview he called Jim Alers "rubbish" and said that he wants his belts back because everyone knows he's the true champ.

He's the one that decided to vacate the belts and sign with the UFC. If he wanted to stay champ of cage warriors he shouldn't have signed with the UFC, simple as. No need to cheapen their achievements, let them enjoy their success. I don't know if he has any previous history with the fighters but it seems very low to me.

I tend to agree with you agree, but really, I don't think it's too big a deal. It just depends on how seriously you take him. Personally I couldn't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Chewabacca wrote: »

Hes had previous with Jim Alers which is why he was giving out about him. He praised the other new champion though. He was praising Cage Warriors as a promotion as well. All hes doing is s*1t talking about other fighters, doesnt matter if theyre in cage warriors or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

Feenix wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It looks like his next fight will be in Dublin, Andrew just tweeted it. Cole Miller could be a possibility after he called him out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement