Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Of all the fighters in the 145 and 155 division who would you all most like to see Conor fight at some stage in the future and why?

For me it has to be Ross Pearson. This would be an awesome fight . Ross is one of my favourite fighters since he won TUF and I dont think he has ever had a boring fight. Added to that the maturity and patience he displayed in his last two contests really impressed me. He is so measured and deliberate now whereas before he was like a little pit bull.

I think it would be a really good fight for Conor and one that I think he would win in style when he's ready for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Pearson is a good shout. Solid quality opponant and a nice style for him too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Looks like I'm watching the LLS for the first time in a good 4 years :D

Wonder will they have it on tape delay on account of his cursing? Haha

When I heard Cathal & Conor were gonna be on I said the words "Holy sh*t, I have to tape The Late Late show" out loud.

I got some weird looks. And not only because I was on the bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

I've always said he'd fight Pearson , there would be a great build up
    To it too, maybe if he fights parke 1st , finishes him then Pearson as they're in the same gym now I think.
    At LW Conor isn't small either and I think he would finish Ross also, I'm sure Ross would stand with him and get knocked the **** out.

Dustin Poirier would be a good fight for Conor. Big name has had some big fights and would be a big big won for Conor. He went to a close decision loss with Cub Swanson and I think Conor would finish him.
    I've watched a lot of FW in the UFC and Conor is undoubtably one of the best strikers in the devision.

I'd like him to stay at FW cos he is a beast at that weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

also said that with Boston he's already feelin like a LW fight makes more sense coz of the flight issue and all that. It's only 5 or 6 hours or whatever but cuttin weight in the last week is hard enough without having to contend with tiredness and jetlag from flying and as we know this fighting malarky is down to a science now and he says he has a system down. Could be just speakin off the cuff on a high after the win but who knows - if he's being serious then I'd say uncle Dana will oblige and give him a LW !

and well...obviously if he beats a LW in his next UFC fight ... on the main card.... in front of a manic Boston Irish crowd.... and for 80 million people at home my head will just explode..... jesus maybe the Irish Times will write about him then...

nah wouldn't get me hopes up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

cowzerp wrote: »
    The fastest growing sport in the world is probably growing from 10 to 100 players this month, growth by 10, in no way is the fastest growing sport an accurate statement, not by viewers, participants or % in growth.

Soccer has probably more new players in a year than their is in Mma in total, I'd say Boxing has way way more new participants worldwide also yearly, % wise probably both less because their already so big, but smaller new sports would have large growth that way.

Anyway. Please stop with the copying joe Rogan propaganda statements.

Totally unfair to call it a "Joe Rogan propaganda statement" when this statement has been published in dozens, probably hundreds of newspapers, magazines and independent business / sport journals and publications?

While there are many different ways one could measure "fastest growing sport", there is an extremely good case to say MMA is. I remember reading an analysis a couple of years ago comparing the major leagues in the US, like NBA, NFL, NHL, NASCAR, MLF and UFC & they found that UFC was achieving the biggest growth out of all of these.

If you take the last 10 years as an example, or perhaps the noughties, very few sports I'm aware of have grown as fast in terms of number of clubs, number of TV shows, number of countries content is available in, magazines, websites, PPV's and of course very importantly, revenue earned.

Of course I can come up with a sport tomorrow, get 50 more people to take it up and claim I'm achieving a 5000% growth rate but there has to be an entry level position, a certain revenue achieved, a certain viewership and certain participants before it can be seriously considered.

MMA as we know it has been around just 20 years, the growth has been incredible in all aspects, so to call it the "fastest growing" is not a major stretch IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You ate missing the point. NFL, NBA, NASCAR etc are all established. The UFC as a brand growing more than them means nothing.

MMA went through a period of huge growth. It's no longer growing at that rate.
    In terms of total new fans/participants the mainstream sports are ahead of MMA, simply due to their size.
    In terms if % growth, newly formed sports or niche sports are ahead, because they baseline is so low.

MMA isn't the fastest growing, not anymore. What's the big deal. Why dies anyone care? I watch MMA because I love it. I don't need some bullsh*t made up statistic to justify it to other people. And I could give a toss if the IrishTimes write a story on it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Mellor wrote: »
    MMA isn't the fastest growing, not anymore

I'm not missing any point at all, I gave that as an example of how there are many ways to judge "fastest growing". As I said, it was published in an article a couple of years back and it only relates to the US. The same thing is probably happening in places like Brazil now.

It's the definitive statements like the one above, which you and others have made that I challenged. One guys opinion was rubbished and he was accussed of believing "Joe Rogan's propaganda" for suggesting it.

I'm merely pointing out that it's not such a stretch, particularly if judged over a substantial period, like the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

First off, well done to Conor McGregor, I really hope he has a prosperous career ahead of him.

Regarding the comments about the Irish Times...

Not on their 'list'.... I think that's disgraceful personally. One of our biggest papers and they can't afford a 2 inch column or an online reference or a single tweet. That would annoy the crap outa me if I was Conor or his camp. You can't help but think it's a middle class readership thing - the Irish Times don't want to report on it because it's 'beneath' them.... IMO.

What's beneath the Irish Times and most 'journalists' in this country is actually the work that journalists are supposed to do.

If you don't give them a press release that they can copy and paste and call an article, there's a very good chance the issue will be ignored.

What you need is a for the fans, by the fans, magazine or letter or ezine or similar.

Off The Ball might have done something if they were still around, the only broadcasters left who spend more than 2 mins on a topic and actually delve into matters in detail and without the need for a hook/dunphy style antagonator to keep the sheep entertained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Let's focus on Conor and his success here, lets promote the fact he's on the late late and spread the word he's doing us proud

He's certainly going to introduce some new people to the sport and I'm sure he'll do we'll as he has a cheeky chappy personality

Cathal is also well spoken and will promote Mma well on there.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

cowzerp wrote: »
    Let's focus on Conor and his success here, lets promote the fact he's on the late late and spread the word he's doing us proud

He's certainly going to introduce some new people to the sport and I'm sure he'll do we'll as he has a cheeky chappy personality

Cathal is also well spoken and will promote Mma well on there.

I'm in no doubt that both Conor and Cahal will come across well, i'm just worried about Tubridy cos he's hardly the worlds best interviewer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

For me id prefer Conor to get another lower level striker as an oppenet , Just to get himself settled espically since the next fight is across the water, itll be a whole new experince,
    He done exteremly well last time out and hopefully it continues but lets give the chap a chance instead of throwing him straight into fighting top ten guy's .
    Im not saying he can't beat some of them but can't see the problem in him being built up a little first and getting more exsposure sate side, To many time guys are rushed,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm in no doubt that both Conor and Cahal will come across well, i'm just worried about Tubridy cos he's hardly the worlds best interviewer

Think you're doing Tubridy a disservice there. May look like a bit of a sap, but knows what he's doing when it comes to interviewing people.

Think you're doing Tubridy a disservice there. May look like a bit of a sap, but knows what he's doing when it comes to interviewing people.

It's rare I watch The Late Late. But a while ago I tuned in as there as a couple on there who were of no religion and they signed their child up to a school on the promise that when religion class came along, he would be allowed be otherwise occupied.

The school, on the sly, went back on that promise and were indoctrinating this child as a Catholic against the wishes of his parents.

The Late Late audience were full of old biddies and Tubs played up to them. Instead of hosting a reasoned debate, Tubirty quite clearly let his own beliefs take precedence and started criticising this family for having the audacity to actually want their child not to have a particular religion forced on them. He even said "Well if you want to join the club you have to play by the rules" at one point.

I never minded him before that, but since then, as far as i'm concerned, he can go and sh*te! (I hope this doesn't count as fighter bashing :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Have to listen to tubridy every morning on 2fm and he's a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I agree with MrStuffins, Tubridy is a mediocre interviewer at best, and I find his personality a complete turn-off. He has no charm and quite often lets his personal views on people / topics affect his interviewing style to the point of antagonising his guests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I applied for tickets to The Late Late show and went in September, just for a laugh.

We got a great night away and went last month, 2 nights in the Amber Springs hotel, breakfast both mornings, 3 course meal with wine (50euro pp) both night, so it was worh sitting through 2hrs of drivel

Sorry, back on topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

scudzilla wrote: »

I agree entirely. I find him to be very weak. You can almost guarantee that the interview will be short and trivial. I lost a lot of respect for Tubridy after Ronan Keating was on the Late Late. It's still great publicity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I'm hoping tubridy doesn't bring up the twitter tiff with Kenny Egan. That is just the kind of thing he'd love, the gowl.

That aside, Conor is one of those lovable rogues that you cant help but like and I'm sure he'll give a very good account of himself. The sport he loves is coming under the Irish mainstream media spotlight for the first time and I'm quite certain the importance of such an occasion isn't lost on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think aisling daly was on the late late before, so it won't be the first time tubbers will be doing MMA.

Did anyone talk to Joe? :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dave1982 wrote: »
    I think aisling daly was on the late late before, so it won't be the first time tubbers will be doing MMA.

Dont remember her being on the Late Late. I remember her being on the Panel alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

God, I hope not. I've been waiting for it to happen though.
    I don't listen to Joe but if that conversation does start, then somebody please pm me so I can ring up and get all aggro on the radio! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Did you not hear his piece about it ages ago? He had some uneducated mong on talking about "ultimate cage warrior fighting" he was telling Joe how it was banned in most states and that people have died inside the cage.

http://www.newstalk.ie/downloads/the-lowdown-on-cage-fighting/

El Guapo! wrote: »
    God, I hope not. I've been waiting for it to happen though.
    I don't listen to Joe but if that conversation does start, then somebody please pm me so I can ring up and get all aggro on the radio! :pac:

You never heard the Joe the time UFC came to Dublin.

Barry McGuigan was very anti MMA

People were claiming deaths were common in human cock fighting

I'll try and find the audio to it.

Anyway she was on the late late Friday, 14 September 2007

You need real player to watch it

link would be handy http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20070914.html

You never heard the Joe the time UFC came to Dublin.

Barry McGuigan was very anti MMA

People were claiming deaths were common in human cock fighting

I'll try and find the audio to it.

Anyway she was on the late late Friday, 14 September 2007

You need real player to watch it

link would be handy http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20070914.html

Yeah I remember that guy on talking nonsense about people dying etc.
    I didn't hear it live at the time though and was raging I missed it because I would've rang up and schooled him.
    That's why I'm waiting for it to happen again. It's bound to happen soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I didn't hear it live at the time though and was raging I missed it because I would've rang up and schooled him.
    That's why I'm waiting for it to happen again. It's bound to happen soon enough.

You hardly think Joe will let someone with logic that understands the sport on when his entire audience is based around miserable whingebags with nothing better to do :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Somebody died in the past few weeks sure.

Chinpool wrote: »
    You hardly think Joe will let someone with logic that understands the sport on when his entire audience is based around miserable whingebags with nothing better to do :pac:

:D
    Yeah true. Maybe ill ring up and just join in with the whingers.
    Did you know that these cage fighters don't leave the cage until someone is either dead or maimed? And they drink all these protein shake steroid things? They also eat babies.

Joe Hart wrote: »

Yep. That's true. Very sad news indeed. It seems he just dropped dead after the bout though. Nothing untoward happened and not a result of any injuries sustained during the fight so it was just an unfortunate thing that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

The publicity can only be good. People who know nothing about mma are already asking me about Connor. A guy like Connor will draw more people to the sport

Not the 1st either but AFAIK no one has actually died while the fight was on and its two early to tell if there is long term damage from MMA.

Wandy would be a good guinea pig :D

Not as a result of the fight though.

it would be about as relevant as saying Football killed Lionel Messi if he left the Nou Camp one night and got hit by a bus!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

I remember a few years back when tubridy used to write a column for the Sunday World, he produced one of the most ignorant pieces on "cage rage", as he called mma, I have no respect for that overpaid moron.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Not as a result of the fight though.

it would be about as relevant as saying Football killed Lionel Messi if he left the Nou Camp one night and got hit by a bus!
    Yep. That's true. Very sad news indeed. It seems he just dropped dead after the bout though. Nothing untoward happened and not a result of any injuries sustained during the fight so it was just an unfortunate thing that happened.

I think you guys are talking about a different fighter.
    A guy died this past weekend. After an amateur bout, autopsy results are pending. And I believe amateur MMA was unregulated in the state.

I think you guys are talking about a different fighter.
    A guy died this past weekend. After an amateur bout, autopsy results are pending. And I believe amateur MMA was unregulated in the state.

No I think we're talking about the same guy. The autopsy was already carried out on Monday and the results were unable to determine the cause of death.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/4/9/4203762/35-year-old-canadian-man-dies-after-unregulated-event-in-michigan

The pieces unread said an "autopsy was carried out, but cause of death was not yet known". Which I took to mean they were still working on it.

• Advertisement

The pieces unread said an "autopsy was carried out, but cause of death was not yet known". Which I took to mean they were still working on it.

From that article I linked to:
    Medical personnel were unable to revive him, and an autopsy, performed Monday, was unable to determine cause of death.

There may be different info going around on other sites but that's what I've seen from a couple of different sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Any chance a mod can go through this thread and delete all the off topic posts please, including this one? What started out as a really interesting and exciting topic about Conor has turned into a crapfest the last few pages.

Finally got around to listening to Conor on the MMA Hour last night. It's incredible how well his personality comes across when being interviewed. He also has that particular Dublin charm where you can say things like "F*ck Steven Seagal" and it doesn't sound like he's actually saying it in a smack talk kind of way.

If he comes across like that on Friday night on The Late Late Show, it'll be great for MMA in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Conor's already being parodied, albeit it with a terrible irish accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

Today's metro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Dave 101 wrote: »
    Today's metro

Was just about to post this, I like his articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Finally got around to listening to Conor on the MMA Hour last night. It's incredible how well his personality comes across when being interviewed. He also has that particular Dublin charm where you can say things like "F*ck Steven Seagal" and it doesn't sound like he's actually saying it in a smack talk kind of way.

If he comes across like that on Friday night on The Late Late Show, it'll be great for MMA in this country.

He'd better watch his language on the Late Late, though, haha. But apart from that, yeah, I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

He made a great point, he needs to get financial advice. I hope he follows through on that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Dave 101 wrote: »
    Today's metro
    This is a bit better quality and you won't hurt your neck reading it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Jesus, this thread was a mess in parts.

Anyway, saw Conor on MMA Hour last night. Seems a right sound chap. Always great to see our own do well on the international stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement