Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Lenses?

Options
  • 06-04-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Currently about to buy a new camera, its a dslr for the simple fact these things can shoot some really whopper video and their so much easier to move around.

Not to sure about lenses though.

For wide angle and just something that can give me a really good tv quality look from a lense what would people suggest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What's your budget?

I'd go with Zeiss primes myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tontolicious

35mm prime lense.good practice moving around instead of zooming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Have a look at Samyang lenses, no experience my self but seem to get good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

budget for lenses atm is about 2-300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'd recommend for a crop sensor the Sigma 30mm f1.4. But it depends what you're shooting, if you think zooming in will be easier than moving a camera around then maybe go for something like that Tamron.

If you're after wide angle maybe just stick with a kit lens (eg. 18-55mm) and grab a 50mm f1.8 for around €100. That should be well within budget and give you a good few options. I started off with that combo and it's been useful in all sorts of situations, still use it all the time even after upgrading just because it's so easy to carry and so light a setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Yep that kit lens 18-55 are good cos you can zoom yet you have a decent 18mm wide angle.

I got a 50mm f1.8 for €55 off adverts.ie. This is a prime lens which means there is no zoom.you are stuck at 50mm. But you get a lovely depth of field.

These 2 lenses will get you by for shooting video in the beginning and beyond.

Also, remember that a middle end camera like the canon 600d has a cropped sensor so that 50mm effectively becomes a 100mm.Meaning you have to stand farther back to get your subject in the shot. If you can afford a full frame sensor camera like 7d then it shows the 50mm as 50mm. But price difference is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

50mm effectively becomes a 100mm.Meaning you have to stand farther back to get your subject in the shot. If you can afford a full frame sensor camera like 7d then it shows the 50mm as 50mm. But price difference is crazy.

Errr no, 50mm on a cropped sensor is 80 mm equivalent and the 7d is not a full frame. But anyway...

What I would suggest, if you're on a tight budget is have a gander on ebay for some old m42 or olympus manual lenses and a couple of adapters. You could get a good 50mm 1.8, a 28mm 2.8 and 135mm for the bones of 100 quid. While they may not be the sharpest for photography, they can be great for video

The canon 18-55 is a pretty crappy lens at the end of the day, I wouldn't bother with one. The 50 1.8 is good, but the focus wheel is a little tricky to handle for video operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 anonjoe555

Got a samyang 14mm f2.8 recently and I love it, best bang for buck wide angle lens imo. 11811 made a good point about m42 glass. check http://www.rockycameras.com/m42-screw-24-c.asp
    you can get an m42 adapter on ebay cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 booklova

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What's your budget?

I'd go with Zeiss primes myself.
    They are brilliant, unbelivably sharp, and you can sometimes get them cheap on m42 mount.

• Advertisement
Advertisement