Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Djouce djoke?

Options
  • 06-04-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

8625631716_bb8cfc7b56_c.jpg

Sign on the lower of the fences protecting small areas of the east side of Djouce, near the summit, so obvously in the Wicklow Mountains National Park. Anyone have any idea what sort of piss-take this is?

The word "Seansalai" doesn't come up on Google. If it's supposed to be Irish-language-derived (it has fada-like accents on the middle 'a' and the 'i'), I can only assume 'sean' would suggest 'old'. I've got a feeling I've seen it before somewhere before, though, maybe on another sign(?)

Phoning the number from an 01 prefix phone gives a 'not in service' message. There's no reason to assume it was supposed to be a 01-prefix number, though, and if it were 'serious' you'd expect to see a prefix. Googling the number drew my attention to the fact that it's the date of the late great Mayan apocalypse... :D

I suppose it could have been an April Fools', but you'd think the perpetrators would have done something naughty like use a real tel number, for nusiance value... Or maybe they did, and the victim had to change their number

(Djokovic, was that you?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's not a phone number (dublin phone numbers have 7 digits not 8). It's a date - 21 Dec 2012. I can only assume it's related to the end of the Mayan calendar which ended on that date.

No idea what Seansalai is. But I assume the sign is a protest against the sale of Coillte lands.

Actually Coveney is from Cork so maybe it's an 021 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Orion wrote: »
    It's not a phone number (dublin phone numbers have 7 digits not 8).
    Oops, seems I can't count :o
    It's a date - 21 Dec 2012. I can only assume it's related to the end of the Mayan calendar which ended on that date.
    ...as I noted myself in the OP (apologies if you were just agreeing :))
    No idea what Seansalai is. But I assume the sign is a protest against the sale of Coillte lands.
    Ah, right - could be :D

Actually Coveney is from Cork so maybe it's an 021 number.
    Hmm...
    However Coveney's website lists 021-4374200, which includes 7 digits after the 21 (cf 8 here), so I doubt it would be connected (unless it's an alternative Cork number for him, and these can vary in total digits)

...as I noted myself in the OP (apologies if you were just agreeing :))

Missed that in the OP :o

• Advertisement

Missed that in the OP :o
    Great minds... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Saw this yesterday and had a good laugh. Wa wondering about seansalai also. Nice bit of snow still down the north side for tobogganing on yet ar5e :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

PS isn't 21122012 the Winter Solstice?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Seansalai = "chancer" (I reckon).

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Seansalai = "chancer" (I reckon).

That crossed my mind too – I thought I remembered there was an at least makey-up Irish word for ‘chance’ that sounded like ‘shance’. Looking up ‘seans’, I see it listed as a word for ‘chance’, so, yeah, if the ending suggests people…chancers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

That crossed my mind too – I thought I remembered there was an at least makey-up Irish word for ‘chance’ that sounded like ‘shance’. Looking up ‘seans’, I see it listed as a word for ‘chance’, so, yeah, if the ending suggests people…chancers :pac:
    Not makey-up at all. It's a loan-word from French (as it is in English) and it most probably came into the language through the Normans (as it did in England). But as it's ultimately from Latin it could be much older than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Well, when I think of developers and chancers and Seans.. the obvious one is Seanie Fitzpatrick.

Maybe he's behind bars and couldn't have put it up, though I get confused, he's been arrested that many times. Perhaps that's it, confuse the public and they think something is actually being done to deliver justice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

A genuine log "inn" hotel, couple of cable cars, someone will have themselves a nice ski resort - for a few days every other year......

A genuine log "inn" hotel, couple of cable cars, someone will have themselves a nice ski resort - for a few days every other year......
    Yeah :pac: - first thing that went through my head, before I realised it couldn't be serious, was a tiny coffeeshop or pub, then I remembered that it's not quite an Alp

Advertisement