Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly qualified electrician Where would you go?

Options
  • 06-04-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I hope to finally finish this apprenticeship in the coming months(fingers crossed,touch wood,pray to god haha) so i am trying to decide where to had to when i finish it. i had been looking into canada have a 2 year visa for there. it seems ideal good money plenty of work etc but the -40 is a big turn off.

I no about oz would not have much interest of going there so that just leaves nz. is there anywhere i am leaving out? as the country's i have mentioned will involve me having to retrain to there standards regards voltages and code's.

Does England still offer plenty of work? i would be open to any suggestions as the title says where would you go? mid 20's no ties:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

From my experience there appears to be work available in the UK. Worth checking out the larges Irish companies, most are all trying to develop a market share in the UK. Most Electricians in the UK work through agencies and typical rate is 12 - 14 gbp per hour.

You did not mention what type of experience that you have or industry which you wish to work. I know that contactors which have work in Intel were recruiting Electricians with relevant experience in the past year.

In Australia an Irish Electrician can work as a trade assistant, basically an apprentice and then complete their exams and work as an Electrician.

Another option are companies like Kentz, Kentech and Sepam which work globally and are regularly recruiting. Mostly for supervisors if you are interested in such a role. Worth checking out their websites.

Also the climate in Toronto Canada would not be as hasrsh, but there would not be as much work there as cities such as Calgary or Vancouver.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

I emigrated to England just short of two years ago. Before i left Ireland i was able to apply for 1 job in over three months of looking (in an abattoir - delighted when i didn't get the job), when i increased my search to England i was able to apply for 4 jobs in 2 weeks. I got interviews with two different companies and got a job in one of them. Still in that one. Money is decent, hours are good (three 12 hour shifts a week) and the people are sound. It also generally costs no more than £90 to get home every few months... much better than flying from Canada. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You need to work out what it is you are looking for:

1) Experience that will further your career
    2) Fun / excitement / quality of life
    3) Travel, cultural experience
    4) Money

Also what type of work are you looking for:

1) Industrial
    2) Domestic
    3) Petrochemical

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

I suppose i would be looking for (1) and (4) as for years over this apprenticeship i have often worked for well under the way sometimes even less the the dole. so i would like to get paid a rate i deserve. and i choose one as i want to get more experience as experience is power:)

My time of work up to now as varied from being used as cheap labour to put up trunking and tray and conduit to being treated with a bit of respect and getting to work in the 2 power stations in the midlands:) so its been a nice mixture but no one area that would give me the field ahead of the rest. that's why i choose (1) as i would like to get into a field that i can ton my skills 2. i had looked into instrumentation in canada where i could be an E&I technician but since i would only be over on 2 year work visa i would not be allowed undertake the college training required so that rules that out.I don't think fas offer such a thing in Ireland and even if they did the chances of finding an employer would be slim-none. and i would not want to return to full time education yet even though it would be for a dream course i have lived on feck all for long enough.

Thanks to all for suggestions and help so far.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 UnseemlyBeano

same situation here i am very interested in canada, qualified recently, anyone know where to look? i want the money n experience, do you need the 5years post qualification experience?
    willing to work anywhere really where do i start any help be appreciated, mostly domestic/commercial but also industrial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Spark500

Hi,I've just signed up to this site and I've been recently laid off from work and I'm just enquiring is there work in England for an electrician with 16yrs experience ,it's been mainly in the industrial side of the trade but I've also done domestic commercial and some maintenance ,I'm really not fussy about where I need to go to find work as I worked in Belgium last year ,I'd be grateful for any help ,thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Welcome to Boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Winthrop are hiring for Intel

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Spark500

Cheers much appreciated superg,I must ring them after 2 and see thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

dunno about england

i hear the $$$ are fairly small over there for regular sparks

• Advertisement
Advertisement