Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lmo canadian service check

Options
  • 06-04-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

hi does anyone know how long it takes to get approved by the canadin service for an lmo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

google says 30 days to 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Took me 21 days in Feb

Google's wrong sorry:(

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭bongomad

Calgary22 wrote: »
    google says 30 days to 3 months.
    COYVB wrote: »
    Took me 21 days in Feb

cheers they have just applied for it and want me over in a week lol

ah your the sparky goin to e-town all the best buddy:)

• Advertisement

ah your the sparky goin to e-town all the best buddy:)

cheers bud! hopefully, just waiting on this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

didnt know you had to wait for this, I thought once you had the AAIT approval you could go straight away when ever they wanted you to.

m.j.w wrote: »
    didnt know you had to wait for this, I thought once you had the AAIT approval you could go straight away when ever they wanted you to.

maybe they don't as they said they were looking at going over around the 14th April, and that they sent my details for the lmo

bongomad wrote: »
    maybe they don't as they said they were looking at going over around the 14th April, and that they sent my details for the lmo

hopefully not, dont want to have to wait another 21 days after getting the AIT. did they tell you what hotel they are putting you up in, is it in edmonton or is it in nisku where the job site is?

hopefully not, dont want to have to wait another 21 days after getting the AIT. did they tell you what hotel they are putting you up in, is it in edmonton or is it in nisku where the job site is?

i was meaning to ask again but forgot, ill have to find out! i recall her saying the hotel was very close to the job!i know i thought that was it oh well cant be helped! are you many weeks into your ait mj?

• Advertisement

i was meaning to ask again but forgot, ill have to find out! i recall her saying the hotel was very close to the job!i know i thought that was it oh well cant be helped! are you many weeks into your ait mj?

Sent it off 2 weeks ago, you said yours took 6 didnt you? I emailed the AIT and they said the backlog is at 10 at the minute but it seems to be different for everyone. Was talking to a lad who sent his in just before Christmas and he didnt get it until early March, 11 weeks!!

Sent it off 2 weeks ago, you said yours took 6 didnt you? I emailed the AIT and they said the backlog is at 10 at the minute but it seems to be different for everyone. Was talking to a lad who sent his in just before Christmas and he didnt get it until early March, 11 weeks!!

ya and week after payment ! sent mine to studon at the time not sure did that help any way. hopefully it will only take 6weeks bud

ya and week after payment ! sent mine to studon at the time not sure did that help any way. hopefully it will only take 6weeks bud

Yea hopefully so, are you gonna bring any tools with you? Im flying with brittish airways and they dont allow work tools on a flight at all ffs.

Yea hopefully so, are you gonna bring any tools with you? Im flying with brittish airways and they dont allow work tools on a flight at all ffs.

think i was looking at one of your posts before on the subject, was hope'ing to take some over and buy the cheap stuff over. if thats the case its gna be more expensive grrrr. had you any ideas ? i suppose dhl would cost a fortune

think i was looking at one of your posts before on the subject, was hope'ing to take some over and buy the cheap stuff over. if thats the case its gna be more expensive grrrr. had you any ideas ? i suppose dhl would cost a fortune

An Post will send a 20kg package for 70 euro which would be plenty to get started but you have to pay tax on work tools so you wouldnt be able to post them until you got over there and had an address to send it to. Dont know what to do, still looking into it. All I want to take is pliers, snips, set of screwdrivers, testers, pipe grips, alan keys, small socket set. Not much there but would get you started and wouldnt weigh to much. Might ring the airline just to double check, you would easily fit that into your checked luggage.

An Post will send a 20kg package for 70 euro which would be plenty to get started but you have to pay tax on work tools so you wouldnt be able to post them until you got over there and had an address to send it to. Dont know what to do, still looking into it. All I want to take is pliers, snips, set of screwdrivers, testers, pipe grips, alan keys, small socket set. Not much there but would get you started and wouldnt weigh to much. Might ring the airline just to double check, you would easily fit that into your checked luggage.

jez thats not bad , might pack up 20kgs of tools then before i leave thanks for that mj

jez thats not bad , might pack up 20kgs of tools then before i leave thanks for that mj

No bother, I think the tax is 5 % of the value of the tools and you are better of declaring because if you are caught not declaring the fines can be high. 5% isnt that much anyway. Also another thing to note is the tools have to be clean when sent, customs can dispose of them if there is any dirt on them

ye can bring tools lads as long as its in your checked in baggage. but tax will be about 10% on that so if tools 1000 euro tax is working out at 100 bucks.

ye can bring tools lads as long as its in your checked in baggage. but tax will be about 10% on that so if tools 1000 euro tax is working out at 100 bucks.

did you contact them, it says on the website that they are prohibited anywhere on the plane. that would be grand then if they were!

Thank you for your email enquiring about carrying tools in your checked baggage.

You may carry tools in your checked baggage, provided the dimensions of the bag is up to 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16 inches) including the handle, pockets and wheels and the bag is weighing not more than 23 kgs (51lbs). You will find full information about the checked baggage allowance at

I hope this information is useful to you.

Regards
    Mariappan
    British Airways

• Advertisement

Thank you for your email enquiring about carrying tools in your checked baggage.

You may carry tools in your checked baggage, provided the dimensions of the bag is up to 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16 inches) including the handle, pockets and wheels and the bag is weighing not more than 23 kgs (51lbs). You will find full information about the checked baggage allowance at

Regards
    Mariappan
    British Airways

Happy days, thats sorted then. Cheers

no bods bud. tax round 10% she said as well in another email.

Ah right, I thought it was 5 but 10 isnt that bad either. Will only be bringing around 500's worth so 50 isnt to bad. Will save a good bit on having to buy them new.

for sure lad its grand:)

no bods bud. tax round 10% she said as well in another email.
    Ah right, I thought it was 5 but 10 isnt that bad either. Will only be bringing around 500's worth so 50 isnt to bad. Will save a good bit on having to buy them new.

Regards
    Mariappan
    British Airways
    Happy days, thats sorted then. Cheers
    thats good news will still be cheaper:)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jockey joe

Took me 21 days in Feb

Hi just seen your post there I have a job got in canada and they are sorting out the lmo for me did you get your paper work when you intered canada at tge airport or had you to go to the embessy in ireland to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

jockey joe wrote: »
    Hi just seen your post there I have a job got in canada and they are sorting out the lmo for me did you get your paper work when you intered canada at tge airport or had you to go to the embessy in ireland to get it

Your employer will send you your LMO approval document, which you present at port of entry in Canada (immigration at the airport in most cases). The immigration officer will ask you a few questions about whether you've got a criminal record and what kind of work it is, then he'll print you off your work permit and stamp your visa into your passport. There's a $150 charge for this, which you pay there and then.

Assuming immigration isn't crazy busy when you go into it, you should be in and out in about 5 minutes with your work permit and visa all good to go

*edit*

Just to add, when you're going through the first immigration that everyone goes through, the officer will ask you the purpose of your trip. Just tell him you have an LMO approval letter with you and you need to get a work permit from a CIC officer and he'll mark your disembarking slip accordingly and point you in the right direction. That guy won't be the one who gives you your paperwork

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jockey joe

Your employer will send you your LMO approval document, which you present at port of entry in Canada (immigration at the airport in most cases). The immigration officer will ask you a few questions about whether you've got a criminal record and what kind of work it is, then he'll print you off your work permit and stamp your visa into your passport. There's a $150 charge for this, which you pay there and then.

Assuming immigration isn't crazy busy when you go into it, you should be in and out in about 5 minutes with your work permit and visa all good to go

*edit*

Just to add, when you're going through the first immigration that everyone goes through, the officer will ask you the purpose of your trip. Just tell him you have an LMO approval letter with you and you need to get a work permit from a CIC officer and he'll mark your disembarking slip accordingly and point you in the right direction. That guy won't be the one who gives you your paperwork
    thamks very much for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

jockey joe wrote: »
    thamks very much for your help

I see you got sorted with a job congrats.
    Might be a late kick off to the silage in Sask this year considering the whole province is covered in snow and we have flood warnings in place!
    What part of Sask will you be in?
    We are living an hour north of Saskatoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

*edit*

Guys

In addition, if your occupation is one that requires a license, you need to have the license in place (from AAIT for example) in order to be granted the permit. Don't enter POE without having the license.

The timeframe for the license varies.

We have lodged loads of these for people - all successfully granted but the timeframe was around 8 weeks for the license from AAIT.

If you lodge work permits though London - you could be waiting anywhere from 1 month to 5 months ! Crazy situation there - so my advice is you need to ensure that all your paperwork is in order if going POE as you only have one chance to get that right.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

Advertisement