Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friend cannot start bike? Also, call-out mechanics?

• 06-04-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hey...

Friend of mine has a Hyosung GTR 250 (I think that's what they're called)...

Engine not starting. Starter motor is turning, he says. Says it sounds like its trying to fire (plugs, I presume), but gets nowhere...

Battery seems okay and is still going despite many attempts to start bike...

Obvious things checked: kill switch not on, & plenty of fuel...

Had not been ridden for a weeks/months, then ridden a short distance, and left outisde in heavy rain and cold for a night, and then this problem started.

Says he can smell fuel, which makes me think the fuel pump must be working...but he my be mistaken on that.

In case the battery was weak, he also has tried push starting on a hill too with no success.

Any ideas on what this is or how to further diagnose it?

Also, any recommendations on reasonable call-out mechs about the Wicklow area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

awful hard to diagnose from a short description, take the plugs out and turn it over to see if you are actualy getting a spark before we go any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Usually a bike left idle over a long period will get a build up of crap in the carbs from the poor quality fuel that is sold at the pumps.
    The fuel evaporates and leaves behind a residue which can be either a slime or hardened varnish.
    The galleries in the carb get blocked with this residue and poor starting is the result.
    Even when fresh fuel is put it the residue starts to come loose and block jets and float valves which results in flooding.
    The solution is to firstly take out the plugs and check that you have spark and they aren't fouled.
    Then clean the carbs manually or with an ultrasonic cleaner and reassemble.
    Drain the old petrol and fill with fresh petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Usually a bike left idle over a long period will get a build up of crap in the carbs from the poor quality fuel that is sold at the pumps.
    The fuel evaporates and leaves behind a residue which can be either a slime or hardened varnish.

this is why you should drain your tank if leaving the bike sit for the winter or any length of time, its a simple enough procedure as most tanks will have a drain in the tank for this reason...

eurofoxy wrote: »
    this is why you should drain your tank if leaving the bike sit for the winter or any length of time, its a simple enough procedure as most tanks will have a drain in the tank for this reason...
    I prefer to turn the petrol off and leave the tank full to the brim, it stops corrosion.
    I do run the carbs dry though, start the bike and leave it idling until it stops then drain the last from the drain screw.

If you want to leave some petrol in the bike I would recommend using Aspen 4T you get it from Lawnmower and chainsaw places its a highly refined fuel that has no ethanol or other rubbish in it and will store in a sealed container for 5 years.
    It doesn't leave any residue like normal petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

serious3 wrote: »
    awful hard to diagnose from a short description, take the plugs out and turn it over to see if you are actualy getting a spark before we go any further.

I'll suggest this.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    The galleries in the carb get blocked with this residue and poor starting is the result.
    Even when fresh fuel is put it the residue starts to come loose and block jets and float valves which results in flooding.
    The solution is to firstly take out the plugs and check that you have spark and they aren't fouled.

Cleaning the carbs would have been my suggestion also, but it's a fuel injected bike. Or so I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Forgot to say thanks :)

Thanks!

rat_race wrote: »
    I'll suggest this.

Cleaning the carbs would have been my suggestion also, but it's a fuel injected bike. Or so I thought.
    After 2008 they are FI

Advertisement