Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Freeze - "Display Driver stopped responding but has recovered"

Options
  • 06-04-2013 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

My PC started freezing for 10-15 seconds every five minutes or so. Eventually a message appeared at the bottom of the screen "The display driver stopped responding but has now recovered" or something similar.

Any advice as to how to deal with this? I'm on Windows Vista.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Check if the display adapter drivers are up to date: Go to Control Panel/Device Manager, hit the arrow beside 'Display Adapter', right-click the line that appears showing the actual h/w and select update driver software.

If that doesn't fix it then you may have a h/w problem, see if your PC has diagnostics that can check the display adapter, you may need to hold down a key like F1 when you switch it on in order to get a menu that offers options like h/w diagnostics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Check the graphics driver first.
    I used to get that playing "Crysis", when Games exercise the graphics driver to it's limits.

If you're only doing basic work on Windows, browsing the web etc... I'd start to suspect that the graphics card is overheating.
    Does it have a built in fan?
    If so, visually inspect if it's spinning when the PC is powered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Updated the software as suggested above and then it was fine, thanks!

Advertisement