Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film copyrights Free to air time limit question

• 07-04-2013 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

question?

I read somewhere before* that films have a certain length of time before the copyright or the charge for showing them runs out and the movie is essentially free to air after that point.

How can you find out if a movie or documentary is free to air?

E.g. If you see content on youtube (A film for example) how do you know its a legal upload?

*Can not remember where

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I think all copyright lasts 70 years after the death of the creator for example the copyright has just expired on all of Joyces works

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is a complicated one. Film is unique in that elements of the film - such as the script or score - can be copyrighted even when the overall copyright for the film expires. Universal still have the rights to It's A Wonderful Life through the soundtrack & script, for example, even though it has been ruled that the images themselves are public domain. Next, while the individual film may be PD, any given DVD release of it will be copyrighted - for example, a Criterion restoration of the film - and therefore cannot simply be ripped, uploaded and aired freely. And then there's territorial shenanigans. A few years ago all pre-1953 Japanese films were deemed to be 'copyright free' - but only in Japan.

Irish law is probably a little fuzzy on the topic, too. But here's a Wiki entry on American public domain which lists many of the film's whose copyright has expired (all pre-1923 films are also deemed in the public domain if they haven't been specifically re-copyrighted). You'll find that some surprising films have seen their copyright lapse - Night of the Living Dead is a famous example. Also try Archive.org to find films that are freely available, although some questionable ones leak in from time to time. But again Irish law is likely uncertain on a lot of the issues, especially for internationally produced content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Pretty much exactly what J.U. said. I recently finished a paper on copyright law, with an emphasis on Ireland. From QuickWin: Media Law Ireland by Andrea Martin:

Copyright expires 70 years after the death of the last of the following to die:
    The principal director
    The author of the screenplay
    The author of the dialogue
    The composer of any music composed specifically for the film

I should clarify that, if multiple people hold the copyright on a portion of that (There was more than one person who wrote the screenplay for example), it's regarded as joint ownership. They have to agree between themselves as to how they deal with copyright and so on. Look at Section 22 of the Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000 for clearer info on how joint ownership works, especially in regards to composers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Maybe copyright is the wrong word , I am thinking of,

when does paying fees/royalties for screening a movie expire ?
    royalties rights

I mean how come there are so many full movies and documentaries on youtube for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

because people don't always obey rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Maybe copyright is the wrong word , I am thinking of,

when does paying fees/royalties for screening a movie expire ?
    royalties rights

I mean how come there are so many full movies and documentaries on youtube for example.

Because pirating exists? Some film makers put there own movies up there, but they're mostly indie films (Amateur Monster Movie, The Tunnel, so on). If you mean the ones sponsored by YouTube, on the YouTube Film page list thing, I think those are copyright free or the copyright just ran out. But stuff like Paul Blart, Mall Cop being on YouTube (Probably) is some guy who imagined there might be other people out there who would want to see it for some reason.

Advertisement