Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Cork , where to live ?

Options
  • 07-04-2013 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi

Apologies if this has been already asked before but I got a job offer from Apple and I am relocating to Cork , I have never been to Cork and I do not know the city at all.

I am looking for a place to rent/share , can you please advise me good locations to rent/share ? I will be driving to work therefore I would like a place where I can avoid the traffic as much as possible, Can you please advise me a few locations ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

1. Sunday's Well.
    2. Victoria's Cross.
    3. Dennehy's Cross.
    4. Model Farm Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This seems like a popular topic recently! The above are all good. Do you plan on cycling/bussing OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 JamJam30

Thanks, No I would not cycle but bussing is a good alternative in case if my car breaks down.

What about Dillons Cross ? any opinions on that location ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The 202 bus is the one that goes to apple, unless you are in the lavish quay office. So, anywhere on that route would be good. It goes through the city center, ballintemple, Beaumont, black rock and Mahon.

Are you bringing a wife and kids with you and looking for a 3 bed semi with a garden, or are you young free and single, and looking for pubs / nightclubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 nej2013

I'd recommend Douglas, nice area, good restaurants and transport links.

No, I am not bringing wife and kids, of course I like to socialize go out sometimes but its not the priority for me anymore. I was looking apartments on daft and in city center it is hard to find a place with parking and many apartments have electric heating , electric heating is expensive and inefficient , I prefer a place with parking and gas heating, 1 or 2 bed room apartment up to 700 euro or cheaper if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

JamJam30 wrote: »
    What about Dillons Cross ? any opinions on that location ?

Its grand, A bit noisy with the traffic but everywhere has that, Its on a few bus routes and if your driving its an easy enough location to get in and out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

700 euro won't go far in douglas... I'd say maybe blackpool or silversprings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

pwurple wrote: »
    ah you could find an apartment for that in Douglas. Lived there for a while and that price is about right for one or two bedroom apartment. But maybe the prices have gone up mad in two years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

pwurple wrote: »

I'd recommend neither of them TBH. Blackpool isn't such a nice area, and is prone to flooding. Although close by if driving or cycling it isn't particularly accessible by bus. Silversprings is OK, but again not great for bus links, and it's pretty hilly if cycling.

Ballyvolane's close to Dillons X, and is well served by supermarkets. Both Dunnes and Lidl are in the area, with Aldi's at Blackpool and Mayfield. You can easily cycle from there, and it's a 10 minute drive to Apple.

Gurranbraher's very close and is right on the 202 route too. Settled area, and you cold drive there in 10 minutes, cycle or get the 202 right to the door.

The 202 stops right outside Apple. Get a bus route map, and work out from there where you'd like to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

The 202 stops right outside Apple. Get a bus route map, and work out from there where you'd like to live.

With the exception of Mahon and Knochnaheeny, all other areas along the 202 route are safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Traffic from anywhere on the south side into town is a nightmare every morning.... I'd stick to town/north side if it were me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Did apple do some big recruitment?

I seen nothing about it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

1. Sunday's Well.
    2. Victoria's Cross.
    3. Dennehy's Cross.
    4. Model Farm Road.

all on the southside bar model farm,lotsa nice places around st Lukes cross/Wellington rd that won't break the bank and only 5mins walk from the city centre.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Did apple do some big recruitment?

I seen nothing about it:(

What I know is Apple opened Apple Stores in many EU countries and they are creating their support teams in Cork office.

Traffic from anywhere on the south side into town is a nightmare every morning.... I'd stick to town/north side if it were me.

Can you please name a few place in North or where in town would be good and I would avoid crazy traffic ? my working hours will be from 8 to 16.30, my work location will be hollyhill industrial estate

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

As already stated on the thread:

Sunday's Well
    Gurranabraher
    Ballyvolane
    Dillons X
    St Luke's
    Shanakiel

MAYBE

Parklands
    Silversprings

NOT
    Mayfield
    Hollyhill
    Knocknaheeney
    Churchfield
    Blackpool (Although close, very prone to flooding)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

JamJam30 wrote: »
    Can you please name a few place in North or where in town would be good and I would avoid crazy traffic ? my working hours will be from 8 to 16.30, my work location will be hollyhill industrial estate

Thanks

St. Lukes / Dillon's Cross / Wellington Road / Sunday's Well are all nice areas on the 'inner North side'. Most of them are old, mature areas of Cork; which has its ups and downs. I've seen some absolute kips in those areas (no proper insulation, damp, rotten old sash windows etc) and some gorgeous old houses with loads of character.

With Wellington Road / St. Lukes you'd still be quite close to the centre; or if you're by Sunday's Well you're close to Fitzgerald Park / the Mardyke (and would be the closest to Apple of the areas I've mentioned).

I've seen some nice places around Richmond Hill too, which both central and on the right side of the city. Just the "Hill" bit makes it a not very nice walk. ;)

Advertisement