Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this make a good documentary?

Options
  • 07-04-2013 7:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Fact is stranger than fiction. Would this Irishman's life make a good documentary?
    I have been researching this man for the past 12 years and wondered if anyone would be interested in making a film or documentary about him? Below is a short synopsis of his life. He was born into a large family in what is now a small cowshed. His mother died in 1909 and his family split up. He joined the Connaught Rangers and was injured in 1918 in Egypt. In 1920 he was one of the leaders of the Connaught Rangers Mutiny in Jullundur and sentenced to 15 years hard labour for it. Released from Maidstone Prison in 1923, he came home to brass bands and collections on his behalf. The same year he was the first Irishman to be charged with Highway Robbery as the world looked on to see what this new Irish Government would do. He was sentenced to 20 years hard labour and 20 lashes of the ‘cat’ which were carried out in Maryborough. When he was released in 1930 he could not go home as he was regarded as a thug for his thievish/loutish ways so he went to the UK and married. He had a son who died and a daughter who lived. He split from his wife in 1939 and joined the Royal Engineers. His daughter was then put into a Convent and only released in 1953. While the British Army was heading to the beaches of Dunkirk our man was blowing up bridges to slow down the Germans getting to the beaches. A week later he was in Paris living with a French national. Arrested by the Gestapo for trying to shoot a café Owner he was sentenced to two years in prison, this was later changed and he was newly charged with carrying arms while in civilian clothes. He was sentenced to death and sent to Stalag 11A (where many of the German officers who tried to blow up Hitler met their final end. In this Stalag he was befriended by a U.S. Officer who, after the war in 1946 at the United Nations War Crimes Tribunal, charged the Commanding Officer and guards with cruelty. The cruelty being he had sentenced our man to death but would not tell him when they were going to do it. At this time our man was back home in Ireland. Freed by submission of Eamon Devalera and German priest working in Ireland. He came home a hero, everyone forgot his past misdemeanours. He allowed a legend grow up around him. He would never talk about the Mutiny. People said the lash marks on his back were put there by the British Army for his part in the Mutiny, but he never corrected them. There was two reasons for this. The first was that by allowing this to be believed his past deeds might be forgotten, and second he would get free drinks as this legend took hold. He became a man of the road after that, sleeping in barns and doing occasional work. He drank heavy, was tall and handsome, and died in a County Home in 1968 of heart failure. He never saw his daughter after 1939. She did not know who her father was until I contacted her in 2002 and she came over as stood by his grave for the first time in her life. I have lots of documents to prove the above and wondered if his life would make a good documentary?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's a couple of questions that you should ask yourself:

What will make this story interesting to people?
    What's your angle on this story? Is it a redemption story, a tragedy, a triumph over adversity?
    Do you any footage/photos of the man?
    If not are you planning on recreating scenes from his life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

What will make this story interesting to people? A good question, that is why I posted it here for your opinions. When I first moved into this area I heard the locals talk of a man who stood in front of a firing squad 7 times and was never shot, so I just had to research him myself to de-mystify him.

What's your angle on this story? Is it a redemption story, a tragedy, a triumph over adversity? This has everything, Poverty, love, rebelliousness, hitting the bottom and then the ignominious end. Even the IRA fired over his grave at his funeral.
    Do you any footage/photos of the man? I have two photographs of this man and most of his military records, including a request from him to be released from Maidstone prison as he was very sad at the death of Collins and wanted to return to Ireland to see what he could do for this new State. He joined the Irish National Army at this time but was not long in it.
    If not are you planning on recreating scenes from his life? I have no plans at all really, I know nothing about film making, its just that I have all this information and wondered if anyone would be interested in it.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

enfield wrote: »
    What will make this story interesting to people? A good question, that is why I posted it here for your opinions. When I first moved into this area I heard the locals talk of a man who stood in front of a firing squad 7 times and was never shot, so I just had to research him myself to de-mystify him.

That's a good angle alright. That'd be the line you should lead with.

I have no plans at all really, I know nothing about film making, its just that I have all this information and wondered if anyone would be interested in it.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

I'd advise writing it up as if it was a long-form newspaper article and approaching production companies with it. There's the guts of a good story there and if you can sell it properly on paper then you might get some people interested in it.

Thank you for all your experience and advice.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

I would be quite interested in it. I have written a little about the Mutiny and the Connaught Rangers. Sounds like a fascinating character. PM if you like.

• Advertisement

Hello Fastboydim.
    'I would be quite interested in it.' to what end please?
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Advertisement