Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weighing Golden syrup/treacle

Options
  • 07-04-2013 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

I recently made a ginger cake in my bread maker. The recipe asked for 50g of treacle and 50g of golden syrup (or something like that). I was completely stymied as to how you would weigh ingredients like that? Surely having it in tablespoons would make far more sense. It's far too sticky to put in a weighing scales.

I guessed how much to add by judging the size of the tin the syrup came in but I must have been a bit off as the cake was not sweet or moist enough. The only thing I can think if doing is sitting the whole tin on the weighing scales and spooning the syrup out, stopping when the weight is 50g less.

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I recently made a ginger cake in my bread maker. The recipe asked for 50g of treacle and 50g of golden syrup (or something like that). I was completely stymied as to how you would weigh ingredients like that? Surely having it in tablespoons would make far more sense. It's far too sticky to put in a weighing scales.

I guessed how much to add by judging the size of the tin the syrup came in but I must have been a bit off as the cake was not sweet or moist enough. The only thing I can think if doing is sitting the whole tin on the weighing scales and spooning the syrup out, stopping when the weight is 50g less.

What would you do?
    Place your bread pan on the scales - remember its weight - add treacle until it is 50g heavier.

(Or buy one of those flat scales that have a reset function -they're great)

50g is roughly 2 rounded dessert spoons. That's the way I measure it and it always turns out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

If you lightly grease your weighing scales with a flavourless oil, then put in the sticky goo to weigh it, it will run right out afterwards leaving no sticky mess behind. One of the best kitchen tips I ever learned!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Put the can of treacle/syrup on the weighing scales, remove syrup until it weighs 50g less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Can you turn your scales to zero? If so put a ramekin or small glass on, turn it to zero and then put the treacle in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Can you turn your scales to zero? If so put a ramekin or small glass on, turn it to zero and then put the treacle in.

My concern with that is the wastage from loads of treacle sticking to the glass though! Flavourless oil sounds like a good help, as does weighing the tin etc.

Normally I'm all for metric measurements (I hate American recipes where stuff is in cups especially x cups of butter) but treacle is so much easier with tablespoons than Grams!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    My concern with that is the wastage from loads of treacle sticking to the glass though!

You could heat the glass - it wouldn't stick much then. The smaller the glass/ramekin/cup the better of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah, just use a ramakin/small glass bowl. Stuff like syrups in baking recipes generally allow for the little bit you lose on the bowl/spatula when weighing it out.

Using a neutral oil (rape/sunflower/whatever) isn't a bad idea either, just be sure to use as little as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I have a digital scales so put the jar on it, zero it and take the syrup out until it's at -50g. If you put a tiny amount of oil on plastic spoon the syrup slides off so I imagine the same trick would work for a glass ramekin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I have a small plastic jug, I put it in that on the scales and weight it. Then I just scrape the sides of it with a knife and most of it comes off, have never had issues with lots of waste or it being difficult to weigh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I assume you have to add the syrup TO something? Some bowl or container that already has other ingredients in it. Why not just put that whole shebang on the scales and then add the syrup until it is all 50g heavier?

Alternatively why not weight the container of syrup and keeping adding bits from it to the mix until the syrup container itself is 50g lighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tree wrote: »
    Put the can of treacle/syrup on the weighing scales, remove syrup until it weighs 50g less.

This is by far the simplest way. No idea why people are trying to complicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Phoebas wrote: »
    Place your bread pan on the scales - remember its weight - add treacle until it is 50g heavier.

(Or buy one of those flat scales that have a reset function -they're great)

No, this is the simplest method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I have a digital weighing scales and it's really handy!

If I'm cooking something I turn on the scales, put the mixing bowl on the scales, press the button to reset it to zero, then add x grams of whatever ingredient, reset it to zero again, and so on and so forth.

Well worth the investment, and they're really not all that expensive!

twerg_85 wrote: »
    No, this is the simplest method.

I don't really consider that to be any different. Bowl/Pan/Tin on the scales, add/subtract 50g. Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Not that it really matters, but since you ask :)

In your method, you remove exactly 50g but maybe less gets added to the pan (some gets stuck to the spoon etc.)

In the other method, you do know you've added exactly 50g to the pan (although you may have removed more than 50g from the tin to do that).

F.

I use the spoon to stir it so it all goes in. ;)

Seriously thogh, this scales aren't accurate enough to worry about milligrams stuck to spoons

Advertisement