Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary school pre-enrolment

Options
  • 07-04-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My family is moving to Galway this summer from abroad, and we're not familiar with the Irish school system. When I was seeking information about the rental market on another thread, someone mentioned to me that I should get my children's names down on lists for schools.

Background info: The two children (twins) are only a matter of months old at the moment.

I've tried doing a bit of research on this, but I have a number of questions about how pre-enrolment in schools works:

1) Do we seriously need to get their names on school pre-enrolment lists asap? Years in advance?
    2) How does one go about getting on the list at a particular school? Who at the school do you usually contact?
    3) Is it typical to visit/tour a primary school prior to submitting a pre-enrolment request? Are there particular times when you're supposed to do this or when schools hold open houses for such purposes?
    4) It sounds to me like many parents pre-enrol their children at multiple schools. Is this advisable? How many schools would be reasonable for us to pre-enrol in (especially considering that we would need to secure TWO places rather than just one)?
    5) Would we have any luck trying to pre-enrol from abroad (i.e. before we have an Irish address, pps numbers, etc.)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

If you know what part of the city you'll be living in then yes I think it's a good idea to get your children's names down ASAP. Look at the particular schools website for enrolment instructions. We have our 2 put down for the 2 schools nearest us and just downloaded the enrolment form and sent it in.

As you won't have an Irish address or PPS number maybe ring the schools after you send in the form and ask them to confirm they have the form and explain your circumstances and see what they say.

The January before your children are due to start school a letter is sent out as to whether they have a place so you will need to keep the school(s) informed of your current address.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cresskit wrote: »
    1) Do we seriously need to get their names on school pre-enrolment lists asap? Years in advance?

If you want to get the kids into a school that's particularly popular - or into a school in an area where there are more kids than schools - then yes, you do.

2) How does one go about getting on the list at a particular school? Who at the school do you usually contact?

Look on their website for an enrolment form. If you can find out, then send it to whoever the website says.

Otherwise, ring the school and ask whoever answers the phone what the procedure is. You wil eventually need to speak to the principal.

3) Is it typical to visit/tour a primary school prior to submitting a pre-enrolment request? Are there particular times when you're supposed to do this or when schools hold open houses for such purposes?

I don't think so. This usually happens closer to when you need to decide which school to send the kids to.
    4) It sounds to me like many parents pre-enrol their children at multiple schools. Is this advisable? How many schools would be reasonable for us to pre-enrol in (especially considering that we would need to secure TWO places rather than just one)?

Yes, it's advisable.

I have no idea how many would be reasonable.

5) Would we have any luck trying to pre-enrol from abroad (i.e. before we have an Irish address, pps numbers, etc.)?

I don't know for sure - but if I had to guess, then I'd say I doubt it.

Actually, I'd suggest waiting 'til you're here and have some sense of how the place works. Obviously it depends on how many years it will be 'til you need schools - but if it's in the next couple of years, then the sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

My kids attend Scoil Ide in Salthill which is an excellent school.

As far as I remember, the main criteria were ...

* if child has a sibling in the school already
    * child lives in the parish/neighbourhood

You say you have twins? Are they both girls or boys or one of each? Scoil Ide is an all girls school but is mixed for the first three years when boys have to leave; from then most boys either go to Scoil Einde in Salthill or St Patrick's in the city centre.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Yes, if I were you I would be putting your children's names down ASAP. Galway is notorious for 'lists' and many parents put their children's names down years in advance. It's often first-come-first-served as to if you get offered a place (unless sibling already in school etc) so children's names that are down ahead of your children will be given priority.

I would definately put their names down in 3-4 schools minimum. You may not get offered places in them all.

Ring up the schools and ask for application forms or alternatively download the forms from the websites.

Leave the pps number section blank and put a note on it that you will provide the number as soon as you are furnished with it when you make the move to Ireland.

No need to visit the schools until you arrive over and/or get offered a place and wish to decide then on whether or not you wish your children to go there.

You need to think in terms of what secondary school you wish your child to attend when picking the primary. Secondary schools can be even harder to get into in Galway.

For example, Scoil Einde feeds Coláiste Einde secondary, Scoil Íde feeds Salerno, Pats feeds Bish etc etc.

It can be hard to get into these secondary schools (with the exception of Enda's maybe) without being in the feeder primary school.

Advertisement