Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Level English

• 07-04-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭

So I took up OL English this year and just need to pass. Was hoping that someone could possibly answer the following questions?
    Do you need to do 3 texts for the comparative or can you do 2?
    Do you need to study the poems before the exam?
    How well do you need to know each text?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

Technically you only need two texts for the comparative course as you are usually asked to
    a) write about one text in regard to XY
    b) write about another text in regard to XY
    c) compare the two texts in regard to XY
    at ordinary level.
    you only have to know the text (including key moments) in regard to the mode you are writing about...
    say it's theme: only the theme and how it's expressed throughout the texts is going to matter... you don't care about hero/villain or climax/tension or social setting; if you prepare two good sample answers for two of the modes examined this year, you are going to do well enough to pass

Poems
    I'd study the prescribed poems as it eases time pressure if you know the poems well. in fairness, you don't really have the time to read and understand the poem and answer the questions in a sufficient matter on the day...

Single-Text
    know this one inside out, you might be asked about your opinion on a characters choice in a specific scene (so you have to know about his intensions,etc. at that point to score any points here). you should be familiar with themes, characters, plot, interpretation, etc.
    also: be familiar with different modes of writing and how certain types of questions should be answered [letter, diary entries, etc.]

it's almost impossible to fail english though, if you attempt all the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Well I was reading this earlier:
    http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0004_2011.pdf
    And it says that 3 texts must be done for the comparative.
    Also, I did HL last year and a got a B3. Would it be ok if did say Circle of Friends for the main text, then 32a and the Lonesome West while the rest of the class do something else?
    Or should I get the Keynotes book and learn off the answers from that on texts I didn't study? I really don't want to wasting time reading extra material, particularly at this stage!
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

Have a look at past exam papers... they only ever asked to compare two for ordinary level...

Last year:
    1. (a) Identify a theme found in two of the three texts you have studied on your comparative course . .....(30)
    (b) Identify a second text in which you have studied the same theme. Compare relevant aspects of this text....er. (40)

2. (a) (i) Identify a theme from one text that you have studied.... (15)
    (ii) Describe a key moment in another text, which you studied on your comparative course, w...... (15)
    (b) Compare what you learned about your chosen theme from each of the key moments you have identified. ..... (40)

Is there any particular reason for doing Ordinary Level English if you have already past the HL paper last year? It doesn't seem to be for the points...

anna.fun wrote: »
    Have a look at past exam papers... they only ever asked to compare two for ordinary level...

Last year:

Is there any particular reason for doing Ordinary Level English if you have already past the HL paper last year? It doesn't seem to be for the points...

I see, well I was just following the rules in the book.
    Yes, its a matriculation requirement for medicine; you must sit and pass English, Irish and Maths in one sitting of the LC, no transferring of grades. I took up a new subject this year and moved up to HL maths so this has taken up much of my time leaving me with very little time for English.
    Thank you for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Well I was reading this earlier:
    http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0004_2011.pdf
    And it says that 3 texts must be done for the comparative.
    Also, I did HL last year and a got a B3. Would it be ok if did say Circle of Friends for the main text, then 32a and the Lonesome West while the rest of the class do something else?
    Or should I get the Keynotes book and learn off the answers from that on texts I didn't study? I really don't want to wasting time reading extra material, particularly at this stage!
    Thank you!

Circle of Friends as your Single Text and 32A with The Lonesome West for your comparative are fine. Technically, you need to have read three texts for your comparative, but for ordinary level you will only need to deal with two in the exam. There are, however, some questions - some years - which give you the option to deal with three, but two will suffice even for those questions. For instance, a question may ask: 'In relation to two or more texts you have studied on your comparative study...'

• Advertisement

Circle of Friends as your Single Text and 32A with The Lonesome West for your comparative are fine. Technically, you need to have read three texts for your comparative, but for ordinary level you will only need to deal with two in the exam. There are, however, some questions - some years - which give you the option to deal with three, but two will suffice even for those questions. For instance, a question may ask: 'In relation to two or more texts you have studied on your comparative study...'

Thats great news that I only have to study two texts. I was ready to buy one of the books tomorrow and it would have taken days to read and study! Thanks!

Advertisement