Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now or Never

Options
  • 07-04-2013 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone,
    I have decided to set up a log to track my progress.

Im a 30 year old male who has been quite fit and active most of my adult life but over the last 5 years or so i have really lost all motivation to stay any way fit as i don't play any sports competitively anymore. I had played competitively until i was about 25, after that i moved to dublin with work and never stayed training regularly.

I am gonna set up this log in an attempt to get more active in the coming months as i know when i get into a routine i do quite well and stay motivated. Hopefully it can give me some added motivation that i need.

Over the last 5 years i have put on a bit of weight, im not obese or anything like that but i am carrying about 15kgs too much in my estimation.

My main issue with staying active is consistency as i am driving a lot these days and i never seem to plan ahead so that i can go running or swimming.

I have no interest in going to the gym to be honest as i spent my late teens and early twenties in the gym training and and dont fancy going back to that routine.

Anyway i intend to set a few goals for the next few months, I started keeping record of my weight over the last few weeks and it has been steady but with a bit of consistent exercise i reckon i could get the weight down to where i want to be.

My Details are as follows,

Male
    Height= 179 cm
    Weight= 83.5 kg
    Body Fat %= 26.3 %
    BMI = 25.24

My goal over the next few months is to jog every second day a distance of 15k and try to improve my speeds and keep my heart rate close to my anearobic threshold (80%-90%) using a HRM. If i do this consistently i know I will get fitter so it’s just a matter of doing it now.

I can do 10k quite comfortably in an hour so i would be hoping to be able to complete 15k in 1hr 30 mins at least. This will be my target to start off and hopefully i can improve on that time over the months.

I will post my Weight, Body fat %, and BMI every few days and will also post the distances and times i do.

My immediate goal is 77kgs to start with through running and a proper diet, which i think is achievable in the next few months. I will take one step at a time though, if i get to 77kgs then i would love to eventually aim for 72kgs in the long term as this is the healthy weight for my height approximately.

Anyway, hope to hear from others who have been successful keeping a log so that i can have a look and maybe learn a few things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Have not started my training yet as have been busy the last two days. Plan to run 15k first thing in the morning with a bit of luck.

Ran 5k today, so much for the 15k i had promised. I was too sore as i played a match at the weekend and the muscles still were very stiff.

I also done a beep test to measure my current VO2 max and it is approximately 40.

I only got as far as level 8 with the beep test so plenty of room for improvement there.

Planning to run early again tomoro, hopefully that short run today has loosened me out a bit

Done 5k today, not the greatest achievement to be honest but my Body wasnt feeling the best either so i decided to stop at 5. Body is in worse shape than i thought, had no energy after 5km which is a bit worrying

Ran 8k today, and it was a bit of a struggle,ended up walking the last 2k.My chest was fine but my hips got very tight because i have not ran on the road in years. Hopefully as soon as i get loosened out properly then the running wont be half as bad. Frequency has always been my problem and the next three days are days i would typically do nothing.I am away from home wednesday until friday. I have decided im gonna go for a run tomorrow morning and thursday evening. Looks like friday will be a write off as im either stuck indoors all day and driving in the evening.

I will be happy if i run tomorrow morning (5k) and thursday evening (10K), and hopefully run then again saturday evening (10k)

After a few weeks when i have a good picture of my average 10k time, i will set targets so than i can measure any improvements.

Not feeling too good today and have a full day tomoro and Friday, will need to make up for it over the weekend. Never went for a run this morning as I was late getting up so won't get to run now until Saturday at the earliest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement