Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have / will you learn Polish?

• 07-04-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Given that where I live has a large percentage of people who weren't born in Ireland, and that Polish seems to be the largest immigrant community in Dublin, I'm thinking about learning the language.

I've no Polish relatives or friends so there's no "need" as such, but when my kids start school I'm guessing its likely that they'll have children who can speak Polish in their class, and maybe itd be good for the family to understand it for that reason.

Anybody learned Polish or other immigrants language for these reasons?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Doesn't make any sense. You learn the language that you need if you go abroad, not to integrate with immigrants who have already learned your language.

Or is this a crap attempt at a rascist thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

All the poles speak great English so no point really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No point and loads left. If I was moving somewhere I'd want to learn their language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Kurva!!

Kurwa!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Given that where I live has a large percentage of people who weren't born in Ireland, and that Polish seems to be the largest immigrant community in Dublin, I'm thinking about learning the language.

I've no Polish relatives or friends so there's no "need" as such, but when my kids start school I'm guessing its likely that they'll have children who can speak Polish in their class, and maybe itd be good for the family to understand it for that reason.

Do you speak Irish OP. Would that not be a better choice as its one of our offical languages.

Only reason to learn Polish would be if you were moving there your self, or working for a company were the use of a foregn language was required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Fair play to you for trying to broaden your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What would I learn Polish for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Are you joking?

I'm one of the few that doesn't have a problem with Polish people coming over here or whatever nationality, but, I think it should be up to them to adapt to our language rather than us adapt to theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Checked the date on this thread expecting to see 2007.

Also, Polish is hard. Learn a language that is more widely spoken and easier, like Spanish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I tried, and failed.. I found it a very difficult language to learn, and tbh all my Polish friends told me they'd rather learn better english and there was no need for me to learn Polish.

Most of the Polish have gone home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I know a few people who have learned it because they were dating/married to Polish people, but they always go back to communicating in English as its so much easier for both parties

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If you want your kids to learn a language that will be useful in the future don't waste their time with Polish or Irish.

Let them learn Mandarin.

And make sure they can speak English too. A language many people have a poor grasp of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Admit it. You want to learn Polish so you can chat up de Polish ladeez more effectively. :p:pac:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Doesn't make any sense. You learn the language that you need if you go abroad, not to integrate with immigrants who have already learned your language.

Or is this a crap attempt at a rascist thread?

How could this be an attempt at a rascist thread?

I think its a great idea OP. Don't mind the lazy crowd :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Nope, tell them to speak English in your presence if you're involved.

Its commonly understood that its very impolite to un-necessarily isolate someone in a group through use of a language they don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

irish-stew wrote: »
    Do you speak Irish OP. Would that not be a better choice as its one of our offical languages.

Only reason to learn Polish would be if you were moving there your self, or working for a company were the use of a foregn language was required.

Great. It's turned official. ;)

BTW, one more reason to learn polish is if your shagging one.

I've made an effort to pick up some words and phrases. No harm and Poles appreciate it/laugh at me so it's all good :)
    I'd learn more, but don't have the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We need to learn German,the ads on the radio said so!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Nope, not racist thread at all.

Yes we speak Irish at home but mainly English. Kids will do languages in school - even we go abroad we always try to learn a few phrases. But I don't think polish lessons are on the primary curriculum?

No interest in chatting up the polish ladies - although they're foxy foxes, I'm a lady myself.

Just purely for neighbourly / conversation interest and chatting to my children's prospective friends / boyfriends parents.

Plus I thought the kids would have more organic opportunity to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Imagine the scenario... You see a really hot lady across the room, you find out she is Polish, you start chatting her up. It might going well it might not be. Then change it up, start talking in Polish. Bam! She is hooked, reel her in and tell her grab her plaszcz (coat) she's pulled!!

Worked for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Fair play OP for wanting to learn a new language. Personally if it where up to me though I'd learn one that was a bit more widely spoken.

Like if you learned Spanish you would be able to not only communicate with Spanish people but also people from Central and South America and about 30% of the population of the US.

But that's just my opinion, whatever you decide best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

AlfaZen wrote: »
    Imagine the scenario... You see a really hot lady across the room, you find out she is Polish, you start chatting her up. It might going well it might not be. Then change it up, start talking in Polish. Bam! She is hooked, reel her in and tell her grab her plaszcz (coat) she's pulled!!

Worked for me :)

Yes, I will spend hundreds of hours learning a language on the off-chance that maybe one day I might change a womans mind by speaking to her differently and that maybe Ill be rewarded sexually.

here we go, lookin good...ah she's Estonian...fuk...back to the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

If I go to azerbaijan ... should the locals learn english to help me. .. no. . They should learn english and Irish to integrate into our society. Why should we adapt our scoiety to help them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I don't do polish, Do the hoovering sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Why not start by learning your own native language first ?id say theres already more Irish knowing couple words in different languages than in Irish language itself (ironic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I know a few polish kids in gael scoils that don't speak a word of English neither do there parents,
    I read in a thread on here where a polish lad was saying he couldn't believe how much English is translated into polish ,car tax, insurance,social welfare forms all in Polish reckons it does no good for integration ,
    Somebody else was asked at a job interview if he spoke polish for a job here ,as the company employed a high percentage of polish workers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Chances are if you did learn it they would not communicate in polish with you, personally i find the poles rude, majority of them speak english but choose not to in company.

What about all the other languages your kids will hear in school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope. Convention would be that the new arrivals learn the native language, not the other way around - same as if I went to Germany or France I'd be expected to learn German/French.

Love the attempt to throw the "official language" Irish line though above. :rolleyes:

HondaSami wrote: »
    Chances are if you did learn it they would not communicate in polish with you, personally i find the poles rude, majority of them speak english but choose not to in company.

I've found similar experiences working in multinationals across all the other nationalities - english only when necessary, native language otherwise and generally seem to stick to their own groups for the most part.

Each to their own I suppose

• Advertisement

I'm learning german, would like to brush up on french, might pick something else up after that
    No real interest in polish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I wouldn't be interested in learning a language that is not that widely spoken. But if you're interested in it then go for it.

I don't agree with the statement that "all" Polish people speak English though. Of the Polish students I teach (all of whom have good English themselves), more than half of their parents have little or no English.

Gatling wrote: »
    I know a few polish kids in gael scoils that don't speak a word of English neither do there parents,
    I read in a thread on here where a polish lad was saying he couldn't believe how much English is translated into polish ,car tax, insurance,social welfare forms all in Polish reckons it does no good for integration ,
    Somebody else was asked at a job interview if he spoke polish for a job here ,as the company employed a high percentage of polish workers

You've hit it on the head there.

It's great that so many different nationalities come here to work and live but there is very little effort made to integrate into the native society - either from their side or the government.

Any wonder then we end up with "ghettos" and the "us vs them" attitude.

As I said above, if you moved to Germany and decided you weren't going to bother learning German or fit in to your new country, I don't think you'd be facilitated the same way others are here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

scamalert wrote: »
    Why not start by learning your own native language first ?id say theres already more Irish knowing couple words in different languages than in Irish language itself (ironic)

Not really ironic at all.

A little knowledge of some foreign languages can be useful.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've found similar experiences working in multinationals across all the other nationalities - english only when necessary, native language otherwise and generally seem to stick to their own groups for the most part.

Yes agree it's with other nationalities also, i know of one employer who insists everyone speaks english at work and if any other language is heard the people involved are taken to task.
    It's rude to speak in another language when someone in your company does not understand it, saying that Connemara is the worst for it, they all speak english but choose to speak in Irish when english speakers are around.

I wouldn't be interested in learning a language that is not that widely spoken. But if you're interested in it then go for it.

I don't agree with the statement that "all" Polish people speak English though. Of the Polish students I teach (all of whom have good English themselves), more than half of their parents have little or no English.

Where are the parents living?

• Advertisement

Where are the parents living?

In Dublin.

In Dublin.

The parents moved from Poland to Ireland,their children are going to school here but the parents do not speak english? How is this possible?

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Fair play OP for wanting to learn a new language. Personally if it where up to me though I'd learn one that was a bit more widely spoken.

Like if you learned Spanish you would be able to not only communicate with Spanish people but also people from Central and South America and about 30% of the population of the US.

But that's just my opinion, whatever you decide best of luck.

Ill definitely be encouraging learning the European languages in school or holidays. I had thought, although I might be wrong, that of the languages spoken in the playground / yard, polish would be the largest non English one?

The parents moved from Poland to Ireland,their children are going to school here but the parents do not speak english? How is this possible?

Sometimes the parents learn it from their eldest child or get them to do the translating for them.

Maybe it's possible that with a wide community they will have friends or relatives who translate for them at the start?

I'm not sure I understand you. Why wouldn't it be possible?

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Not really ironic at all.

A little knowledge of some foreign languages can be useful.

As I said, we know and speak Irish at home - kids go to Naonra and watch tg4, etc. will be going to the Gaeltacht when they're older.

What other language would you recommend then? Spoken on a regular Dublin basis?

I'm not sure I understand you. Why wouldn't it be possible?

why live here send their children to school here and not learn the language, how will they communicate with their childrens friends/teachers?
    I have a number of foreign friends and they all speak english even though they had no english when they arrived here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Lapin wrote: »
    If you want your kids to learn a language that will be useful in the future don't waste their time with Polish or Irish.

Let them learn Mandarin.

And make sure they can speak English too. A language many people have a poor grasp of.

Sorry Lapin, but I would be putting Mandarin in the waste of time category too. A second European language like French, German or even Polish is many more times useful than Chinese.

It's being bandied about for a long time now but there's no real substance to the claim that Mandarin will become the master tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

It should be compulsory to learn a second or third European language in Schools from primary school onwards and im not speaking about Irish. This is one of the downfalls of this Country.

We have a major advantage of multinational companies setting up in Ireland.

When you see these companies creating 500 to 1000 jobs its not that this will take Irish people into employment but they have to import europeans to fill these roles as they are language specific.

Look at all the Irish leaving. They go to America, Australia, UK and Canada.
    Why?

Because they are limited by English. If Irish people new more the English they could be closer to home. Many people say they have no choice but to leave to these countries but the future to Ireland and Irish people could be alot closer to home.

What other language would you recommend then? Spoken on a regular Dublin basis?

If your interest is only what is spoken widely on a Dublin basis then Polish is probably a good option. When I spoke of my interest being languages spoken on a wider basis I meant internationally.
    why live here send their children to school here and not learn the language, how will they communicate with their childrens friends/teachers?
    I have a number of foreign friends and they all speak english even though they had no english when they arrived here.

I don't know why. But it is the case for over half the Polish families I deal with and is perfectly possible. They rely on their children to translate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

In my job we have a lot of Poles coming in to the place with little or no English, so it'd be helpful to be able to speak the language. However, if I do ever try to learn a language, I'd probably go for one of the more global laguages, probably Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I've been learning it on and off for a few years now. I'm far from fluent, but I can have a basic conversation in Polish. I think its a useful enough language to have as there are plenty of Poles here. By jasus its not an easy language to learn though. I got an audio CD which helped a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

In work I'm surrounded by french, italians, spanish and a few poles (btw, the spanish are the hottest).

all of them speak their own languages when talking to their own nationality. But all will speak englsih if in the company of another nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

No interest in chatting up the polish ladies - although they're foxy foxes, I'm a lady myself.

And your point is?

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement