Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have / will you learn Polish?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    You've hit it on the head there.

It's great that so many different nationalities come here to work and live but there is very little effort made to integrate into the native society - either from their side or the government.

Any wonder then we end up with "ghettos" and the "us vs them" attitude.

As I said above, if you moved to Germany and decided you weren't going to bother learning German or fit in to your new country, I don't think you'd be facilitated the same way others are here.

"Ghettos ? " where ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Nope, not racist thread at all.

Yes we speak Irish at home but mainly English. Kids will do languages in school - even we go abroad we always try to learn a few phrases. But I don't think polish lessons are on the primary curriculum?

No interest in chatting up the polish ladies - although they're foxy foxes, I'm a lady myself.

Just purely for neighbourly / conversation interest and chatting to my children's prospective friends / boyfriends parents.

Plus I thought the kids would have more organic opportunity to practice.

Thing is though, most of the kiddies of Polish parentage in this country will grow up speaking English.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

mattjack wrote: »
    "Ghettos ? " where ?

Fingal, seventy different nationalities waiting for council housing there.

Blanch, parts of tallaght, clondalkin etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I can't speak for the rest of the places, but the majority of the scum in blanch is irish.

Grayson wrote: »
    I can't speak for the rest of the places, but the majority of the scum in blanch is irish.

Give it a generation or two. We are repeating the mistakes of the U.K., France, Germany etc. Putting immigrants into already disadvantaged areas is a recipe for chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I don't know most of Blanch well enough to comment on the nationality or ethnicity of its inhabitants, but you are the only one speaking about "scum". The poster made no comment on the behaviour or class of those he perceives to be living in ghettos, only said that they are poorly integrated.

Thing is though, most of the kiddies of Polish parentage in this country will grow up speaking English.

Well, we do employ a couple of thousand language support teachers here at incredible cost.

There should be language exams for all newcomers into this country. Cant speak the lingo - come back when you can.

Wayne , your arse must get jealous of your mouth with all the shite that comes out of it.

Wayne , your arse must get jealous of your mouth with all the shite that comes out of it.

Are there not 70 different nationalities on the fingal housing list?

Are you suggesting that I am making that up?

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/provision-of-social-housing-for-noneu-nationals-queried-27814910.html

• Advertisement

I don't know most of Blanch well enough to comment on the nationality or ethnicity of its inhabitants, but you are the only one speaking about "scum". The poster made no comment on the behaviour or class of those he perceives to be living in ghettos, only said that they are poorly integrated.

The word ghetto is a give away. Polish people live in every area of blanch. the bad areas are the ones that have irish scum in them. And if I was walking through that neighborhood and saw a group of lads walking towards me, I'd be nervous. If i heard them speaking polish I'd be a lot less nervous.

Unless he's talking about the nice, safe well lit ghetto's :rolleyes:

WIZE wrote: »
    It should be compulsory to learn a second or third European language in Schools from primary school onwards and im not speaking about Irish. This is one of the downfalls of this Country.

We have a major advantage of multinational companies setting up in Ireland.

When you see these companies creating 500 to 1000 jobs its not that this will take Irish people into employment but they have to import europeans to fill these roles as they are language specific.

Look at all the Irish leaving. They go to America, Australia, UK and Canada.
    Why?

Because they are limited by English. If Irish people new more the English they could be closer to home. Many people say they have no choice but to leave to these countries but the future to Ireland and Irish people could be alot closer to home.

It was in my school. Up until the jc. We had a choice of French, German, Spanish or Italian.

Learning a language is never pointless, but unless you have a polish spouse or plan to move there - there are more advantageous lingos to learn.

The word ghetto is a give away. Polish people live in every area of blanch. the bad areas are the ones that have irish scum in them. And if I was walking through that neighborhood and saw a group of lads walking towards me, I'd be nervous. If i heard them speaking polish I'd be a lot less nervous.

On a per capita basis - there are more polish people in receipt of welfare, in jail and whatnot -, when compared to the native Irish.

But its progressive and liberal to look down on working class Irish people whilst praising every other nationality. Scum, indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

More people in Ireland speak Polish and Chinese than speak Irish.

We Irish are useless at learning foreign languages...our experience at school with irish has put most people off. The result : even people in our hospitality industry cannot communicate with elderly continentals who come here + who cannot speak English.

true wrote: »
    More people in Ireland speak Polish and Chinese than speak Irish.

We Irish are useless at learning foreign languages...our experience at school with irish has put most people off. The result : even people in our hospitality industry cannot communicate with elderly continentals who come here + who cannot speak English.

Are you using the royal "we" here? Speak for yourself or nobody at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

The word ghetto does not imply poor behaviour. The poster may have views about immigrants with which I disagree, but the post you quoted made no reference to scum.

I find your prejudice towards Irish people bizarre tbh. Equally as objectionable as the views your'e disagreeing with so vehemently.

• Advertisement

On a per capita basis - there are more polish people in receipt of welfare, in jail and whatnot -, when compared to the native Irish.

But its progressive and liberal to look down on working class Irish people whilst praising every other nationality. Scum, indeed.

Bollocks. On a per capita basis more racists spout made up statistics. And yes, the guys who beat, rape, and shoot people are scum. That's before we even contemplate property damage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Are you using the royal "we" here?
    stop the average Irish person on the street and ask them for directions in any foreign language....see how far you get.

What other language would you recommend then? Spoken on a regular Dublin basis?

Here is a list of typical class hours needed to become fluent in another language
    3-4 hours of self study, for every one in the class is recommended.
    I really doubt your children will pick up anything useful from the playground.

I think your better working with whatever languages are available to them in school.
    Supplementing the lessons with whatever media you find online, and help from groups like Alliance Francaise, The Cervantes institute,The Goethe institute etc.
    Just like you are doing with the Irish. :)

Bollocks. On a per capita basis more racists spout made up statistics. And yes, the guys who beat, rape, and shoot people are scum. That's before we even contemplate property damage.

Its not bollocks, buddy. 21 percent of the poles, resident in ireland, are on the dole. Considerably higher than the natives. On a per capita basis, there are more poles on the dole and in jail when compared to the natives.

Sources - cso and justice.ie

They break down prison commitals and welfare claimants by nationality.

Drives a fifty foot truck through your spurious claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Spent three years trying to get halfway conversational in Czech, like Polski, a devil of a language to learn. Many of my friends in Prague said what is the point as so many Czechs spoke English or German. I moved to Dublin in 96 and never thought I would use it again. Wrong.

I know of one person who was taking Polish lessons just to be able to converse with Polish immigrants.

• Advertisement

Well, we do employ a couple of thousand language support teachers here at incredible cost.

There should be language exams for all newcomers into this country. Cant speak the lingo - come back when you can.

Thousands ? are you sure ? I thought we were cutting back on teachers Wayne.
    Wayne are language support teachers , primary/secondary teachers with TEFL ?

Thousands ? are you sure ? I thought we were cutting back on teachers Wayne.
    Wayne are language support teachers , primary/secondary teachers with TEFL ?

1, 100.

Any questions, see here - http://www.acels.ie/schoolsregulations.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Kurva!!

Kurwa:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I can think of a few AIB and BOI branches that had signs up that there were customer service staff who could deal with Polish.

That was boom times though, now they prefer to gouge their existing customers!

If you look around some solicitor and accountancy websites you can often get a page in Polish too begging for new business, nothing wrong with it of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Still full of hate Wayne. This thread isn't a platform for you to spout off your National Front rhetoric.

Is Stormfront off line at the mo or watt??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Damn right, too many feens & beoirs around here!

Chinasea wrote: »
    Still full of hate Wayne. This thread isn't a platform for you to spout off your National Front

No - it seems to be a vehicle for you to post press releases issued by the various quangos that you support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I live in Germany now so there is no point to learning Polish. I will try to learn a few phrases to get around because I plan on visiting the place, but I wouldn't invest too much time in it. I'd always go for the most widely-spoken languages, so I think Spanish is next on my list.

If I would learn a Slavic language it would be Russian. I've a lot of Russian friends here and have learned a couple of phrases, but it looks incredibly difficult. I think Spanish is far easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I know a little Polish

Shes only 5'3 :pac:

*ba-dum tis*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Spanish is probably the easiest starter language for an english speaker to try learn and also fairly useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

HondaSami wrote: »
    Chances are if you did learn it they would not communicate in polish with you, personally i find the poles rude, majority of them speak english but choose not to in company.

I know many Polish people who are embarrassed by other Poles not including others in conversation. However I have no problem with two people having a private conversation in their own language on the bus for example where no-one else is going to be included anyways. I'm sure it alleviates home sickness.
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've found similar experiences working in multinationals across all the other nationalities - english only when necessary, native language otherwise and generally seem to stick to their own groups for the most part.

Each to their own I suppose

Some Irish tend to stick to their own in Australia, where we've earned ourselves a really bad name... those are the people who are probably only staying short term and not the ones building a new life I presume.

To be fair, you could go to any EU country without their language as well, EU open borders and all that. My friend got a job in Brussels and speaks no French or Flemish. Another friend got a job in Frankfurt and everyone speaks English to her when she tries to speak German, so she's learned nothing!
    Ill definitely be encouraging learning the European languages in school or holidays. I had thought, although I might be wrong, that of the languages spoken in the playground / yard, polish would be the largest non English one?

My Latvian friend has a daughter who prefers to speak English and thinks Latvian sounds 'horrible'...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

deccurley wrote: »
    In my job we have a lot of Poles coming in to the place with little or no English, so it'd be helpful to be able to speak the language.

Should it be not up to the Poles to learn fluent English when they come to an English speaking country?

I used to put up with it before trying to understand what someone who had a grand total of 3 words of English was saying but not anymore.

In countries like Australia people have to be able to have a good working knowledge of English before going there, seems like a good idea to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I used to live in Chicago and would often see signs up in the windows of lawyers and other professionals

"Se habla Espanol"

"mowimy po polsku"

Whatever else you might think about Poles, I'd say they'd be deadly at scrabble, mofukkas be lovin dem z's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Dietsquirt wrote: »

Nie, kurwa bardzo ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 jim_beam

the native majority ( especially the hated middle class ) are never interesting to the liberal intelegensia , minorities including faux minorities like travellers on the other hand are seen as exotic , hence why you will never hear the likes of vincent browne show a whiff of concern for the struggling middle in this rescession , he,d far rather shout about the so called plight of some traveller who had fifty convictions and eventually robbed the wrong bachelor farmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Dietsquirt wrote: »

Jesus, the humanity that my Polish is not up to scratch.

well if the claim is untrue , you should contact rte and complain about paddy o gorman who said that exact same sentance

their is a disproportionate number of eastern europeans in our prison system

interestingly he also said their was a low number of africans in our jails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think theres a disproportionate number of monomaniacal xenophobes and bigots in AH...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I' recommend learning mandran, Hindi, Russian, Spanish in no particular order. These ate the most common speaking languages.

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Spanish is probably the easiest starter language for an english speaker to try learn and also fairly useful.

until the rise of china , spanish was by far the most usefull language to have globally speaking , europe is becoming less important so german and especially french are of only limited benefit

Nodin wrote: »
    I think theres a disproportionate number of monomaniacal xenophobes and bigots in AH...

luckily their are armies of painfully PC right on liberals to hold back the tide ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That's because we get a certain demographic, if you riled out Irish OAP and the under 18s you will find the stats get closer, them rule out the upper class, as the polish upper class didn't come to Ireland. You will find that the stats are even closer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ted1 wrote: »
    That's because we get a certain demographic, if you riled out Irish OAP and the under 18s you will find the stats get closer, them rule out the upper class, as the polish upper class didn't come to Ireland. You will find that the stats are even closer

Indeed. The majority age and gender demographic that emmigrate from any country (18-25, male) are those most likely to get on the wrong side of the law in one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Can't be bothered to read the whole thread to see if anyone has said this before but:
    Lots of Polish people in Ireland have married/had children with Irish people. Their family members come to visit and and while the Poles living in Ireland have good English their families don't. I have heard loads of people talking about the difficulty of speaking to their In laws from Poland. People should make an effort to learn the basics if they are in that situation. I know I definitely would.

I never understand why some people almost take pride in the fact that they make no effort with Languages other than English - the more ways to communicate we have the better.

I've had significant influences on my work/personal life in the last few years.

Have been inspired to learn a few Polish words and phrases.

Even adopted my username because of this influence!

Poles are my favourite nationality of the ones in Ireland. And not just because of the beautiful women, their personalities are cool too :)

• Advertisement

wow sierra wrote: »
    I have heard loads of people talking about the difficulty of speaking to their In laws from Poland. People should make an effort to learn the basics if they are in that situation. I know I definitely would.

Not being able to understand the inlaws, could be a big bonus in a relationship. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I've had significant influences on my work/personal life in the last few years.

Have been inspired to learn a few Polish words and phrases.

Even adopted my username because of this influence!

Poles are my favourite nationality of the ones in Ireland. And not just because of the beautiful women, their personalities are cool too :)

I hear this said quite a lot but I've never seen a really cute looking polish woman when I've been out. I don't doubt there are attractive looking ones though, I just have never noticed any. Maybe most of the good looking ones are taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

jim_beam wrote: »
    until the rise of china , spanish was by far the most usefull language to have globally speaking , europe is becoming less important so german and especially french are of only limited benefit

What do you mean by "the rise of China" and Europe becoming "less important". What are you talking about? In what context?

If you learned Chinese in the morning what would you do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

keith16 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "the rise of China" and Europe becoming "less important". What are you talking about? In what context?

If you learned Chinese in the morning what would you do with it?

Order a chicken balls and a four in one after the nightclub to impress all the chicks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I went to Kraków last year on a stag, so I bought a Collins course and taught myself some basic phrases (inter alia hello, goodbye, beer, 1-10, please and thank you) so I could make an effort at communicating. Of course, all the folks I interacted with had perfect English (hotel staff, bar staff and taxi drivers) but I personally think it's a bit rude and presumptuous to go to a foreign country without even a word of the local lingo. I don't see myself doing much more than that, but it doesn't do any harm in Ireland when you're dealing with someone from Poland to throw in a "djiekuje" here and there :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement