Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have / will you learn Polish?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Kurva!!

* Kurwa :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

I know a little Polish

Shes only 5'3 :pac:

*ba-dum tis*

Pics please :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Should it be not up to the Poles to learn fluent English when they come to an English speaking country?

I used to put up with it before trying to understand what someone who had a grand total of 3 words of English was saying but not anymore.

In countries like Australia people have to be able to have a good working knowledge of English before going there, seems like a good idea to me.

It should of course. Would you move to Warsaw with no Polish and expect to get on in life? I wouldn't! But it doesn't work that way in this country, unfortunately. We more or less signed away our right to decide for ourselves who can stay and who must leave if they are EU citizens, and we seem to have ended up stuck with a lot of people, many on welfare, who have no command of the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

wow sierra wrote: »
    Can't be bothered to read the whole thread to see if anyone has said this before but:
    Lots of Polish people in Ireland have married/had children with Irish people. Their family members come to visit and and while the Poles living in Ireland have good English their families don't. I have heard loads of people talking about the difficulty of speaking to their In laws from Poland. People should make an effort to learn the basics if they are in that situation. I know I definitely would.

I never understand why some people almost take pride in the fact that they make no effort with Languages other than English - the more ways to communicate we have the better.

How much is ''lots''? Although I suspect there are a fair few considering the sheer volume of Poles who have come to these shores, I would have thought the overall number of marriages and relationships would be negligible. But I don't know. I personally don't know anybody who has been with one, so maybe the number is more than I think.

Advertisement