Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of spending a week in new zewland as part of my aus trip

Options
  • 07-04-2013 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Im thinking spending a week in new zealand as part of my aus trip , what are must do's/see's over there and which of the 3 main cities would be the one to fly into christchurch auckland or wellington

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

A week is very very little time to see much! We did just the South Island in 2 weeks a few months ago and it was whistlestop! If you want to do much travelling around you will need more time. We found that having such a small road network meant more driving to get to places as you couldn't go direct.

If I had a week for the South Island I would fly to Queenstown. Spend couple of days there during gondola trip and luge, jet boating, bungee etc. Head out to Te Anau see the Glow Worms. Do a cruise on Milford Sound. Maybe if money is no object squeeze in a plane/helicopter trip to one of the glaciers.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

1 week in NZ in winter, fly direct to Queenstown and there are a range of activities to do in town and nearby, as well as journeying south to Te Anau and Milford Sound. Doubtful Sound is another day trip.
    It's too hard to do much else there in a week, you could try get to Christchurch, maybe Franz Josef glacier but would need to plan that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

I would also recommend Wanaka in the South Island. I travelled over to NZ from Oz intending to stay for 2 weeks but ended up staying for 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Pugins wrote: »
    A week is very very little time to see much! We did just the South Island in 2 weeks a few months ago and it was whistlestop! If you want to do much travelling around you will need more time. We found that having such a small road network meant more driving to get to places as you couldn't go direct.

If I had a week for the South Island I would fly to Queenstown. Spend couple of days there during gondola trip and luge, jet boating, bungee etc. Head out to Te Anau see the Glow Worms. Do a cruise on Milford Sound. Maybe if money is no object squeeze in a plane/helicopter trip to one of the glaciers.

+1 on all this.

depends on where you are flying from but your options may be limited on where you can fly into. get to Queenstown as soon as you can, you can base yourself there. christchurch was a nice city but after the last quake its not worth a stop on a whistle-stop tour.

Advertisement